HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: your all-time little guy lineup (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=279443)

n8 08-10-2006 02:19 AM

OT: your all-time little guy lineup

I'd really only recommend this thread for people who are either bored or suffer from insomnia.

Big players always get all the attention while the little guys are easily looked over, so for personal amusement I tried to assemble an team of little guys. The criteria was players have to be 5'9" or shorter but because I couldn't find any short defensemen, I looked for dmen 5'10" and under. Still couldn't find enough.

marcel dionne - henri richard - theo fleury
stan mikita - neal broten - martin st.louis
rod gilbert - cliff ronning - pat verbeek
brian gionta - dave keon - brian propp

lubomir vishnovsky - phil housley
? - ?
? - ?

mike vernon
andy moog

any suggestions? i'm sure i'm overlooking some forwards. some of the older players i'm not sure what position they played. I think I have a lot of RW but some of these guys are too good to leave off the list!

streen1000 08-10-2006 03:58 AM

Saku Koivu is quite small :)

TraderJim 08-10-2006 05:03 AM

Paul Kariya :dunno:

KRM 08-10-2006 05:38 AM

Hawerchuk, Bure, Sakic? :dunno:

selvirino 08-10-2006 07:46 AM

Keep in mind a lot of guys listed at 5' 10" are really 5' 9" or shorter. It's a hockey thing. :)

Lafontaine
Rafalski
Savard
Tomas Jonsson

Skroob* 08-10-2006 08:31 AM

I'd throw York on there somewhere.

SPG 08-10-2006 09:13 AM

Dan Boyle of the Lightning would be a good one to slot in there on D. He's listed at 5'11", but thats very generous.

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-10-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 6251701)
I'd really only recommend this thread for people who are either bored or suffer from insomnia.

Big players always get all the attention while the little guys are easily looked over, so for personal amusement I tried to assemble an team of little guys. The criteria was players have to be 5'9" or shorter but because I couldn't find any short defensemen, I looked for dmen 5'10" and under. Still couldn't find enough.

? - ?
? - ?

mike vernon
andy moog

any suggestions? i'm sure i'm overlooking some forwards. some of the older players i'm not sure what position they played. I think I have a lot of RW but some of these guys are too good to leave off the list!

I can give u a few

darren pang where is he?? matthew scheinder he is 5'10 192 ryan hollweg is only 5'9 210 straka is only 5'9 180 and prucha is only 5'10 172. Oilers Marc Andre Bergeron is only 5'10 197.

Nemchinov13 08-10-2006 09:45 AM

How about Marek Zidlicky? The guy is listed at 5'11, but is he?

Tinordi24* 08-10-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 6251701)

? - ?
? - ?

mike vernon
andy moog

Chuck Dino Ciccarelli on there. He's better than Propp at the very least.

Bacchus 08-10-2006 09:49 AM

Brian Rafalski
Steve Sullivan
Stu Barnes
Sami Kapanen

Niko Kapanen and Steve Ott are quite small as well but they haven't done much in the NHL until now.

The Amity Affliction 08-10-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHall18NYR (Post 6252918)
I can give u a few

darren pang where is he?? matthew scheinder he is 5'10 192 ryan hollweg is only 5'9 210 straka is only 5'9 180 and prucha is only 5'10 172. Oilers Marc Andre Bergeron is only 5'10 197.

Hollweg? Are you kidding? These are the best little guys of all time, not the best all-time Rangers 4th liners.

Straka is iffy, and Prucha has had one season...

They really meant for guys like Bure, Sakic, Hawerchuk, Fleury, Mullen, etc...

The Amity Affliction 08-10-2006 10:40 AM

C-LW-RW

Yzerman-Dionne-Bure
Sakic-Ciccarelli-H.Richard
LaFontaine-Mogilny-Recchi
Hawerchuk-J.Mullen-Fleury

I'll think of defensemen later on.

nrf83 08-10-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 (Post 6253455)
C-LW-RW

Yzerman-Dionne-Bure
Sakic-Ciccarelli-H.Richard
LaFontaine-Mogilny-Recchi
Hawerchuk-J.Mullen-Fleury

I'll think of defensemen later on.

Reijo Routsalainen(sp)

n8 08-10-2006 02:21 PM

wow, i swear. everyone totally ignored the whole point of the lineup of players being 5'9" and under. If players at 5'10" are really under that, then the players listed at 5'9" are even shorter! If I made a list of players under 6'0" it would be much easier to come up with names and be not as interesting.

2) ALL TIME.

darren pang was on my list (more as a joke) until i thought of Moog and Vernon. How can you pick Pang over those two? While quite likeable, Pang was not quite the prolific netminder.

Yzerman, Bure, Sakic, Ciccarelli, LaFontaine, Mogilny, Recchi, Hawerchuk, J.Mullen. all too tall for this list! Kariya is 5'11" Rafalski, Savard, Koivu 5'10"

actually 5'9" and under
Steve Sullivan, but I would not take him over guys like Dionne, Mikita, Gilbert, or even Brian Propp for that matter. Quite possibly over Gionta based on experience and overall achievement.

Quote:

How about Marek Zidlicky? The guy is listed at 5'11, but is he?
is this a joke?

robertch 08-10-2006 03:01 PM

Theo Fleury:yo: :yo:

JayMan82 08-10-2006 03:59 PM

Don't laugh at me guys, but I always thought Brian Leetch was a bit shorter than 6'

WheresBarnaby 08-10-2006 04:15 PM

While actually 5'10" ,I'm gonna through in Glenn Healy into the mix as a backup to Moog. Instead of Vernon. Gotta stay blue... or something

JELLY 08-10-2006 04:36 PM

Beezer

How does the beezer not make this list? easily better than mike vernon

Fletch 08-10-2006 05:48 PM

Might as well throw in...

Pat Verbeek, no?

Edge 08-10-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 6257294)
Pat Verbeek, no?

His career has been very forgotten because he played for some pretty mediocre NJ and Hartford teams but the guy was a consistent 30-40 goal pain in the neck player.

What was his nickname? The Little Ball of Hate? Something like that.

The little-guy discussion is kind of hard because in the last 15 years a lot of guys get bumped closer to 6'0 who are way under. Marc Savard is listed at 5'11 but is probably closer to 5'9-5'10. Leetch played his career at 5'11 until he was 28 and suddenly grew out of nowhere.

But going for modern era I'd have to throw a guy like Tie Domi out there as the enforcer.

Bobby Clarke was a small guy, only about 5'10, 175 but he played like a chainsaw. Probably top of my list.

Mark Howe was an undersized defenseman who played for a lot of years.

Denis Savard was a small guy.

Mike Keane was a small guy who made it as a valuable checker.

Cliff Ronning was a fun little player.

I always loved watching two small guys on the Las Vegas Thunder: Ken Quinney and Patrice Lefebvre who was especially fun to watch at the IHL level.

Always liked Darcy "Chainsaw" Loewen.

Daymond Langkow isn't close to 5'11 no matter what any media guide says, always liked him.

I dont know if i can really include goalies, because even as late as 10 years ago the average goalie was probably only about 5'11 and that was after the first wave of 6'1, 6'2 goalies started coming into the league.

n8 08-10-2006 09:05 PM

yeah, Verbeek was on my list. He was a pretty prolific scorer and played pretty big for such a small guy. Bobby Clarke is a definitely a great small player but it's not so challenging when you go up to 5'10". There are soooooo many 5'10" players. He'd definitely be on the list though. Langkow, he isn't good enough to make an all-time team. Not by a long shot.

flyersfan97 08-10-2006 09:41 PM

How about Recchi?? He has a couple of rings and I once saw an interview with him where he said, "I'm 5'8", that's my story and I'm sticking to it."

WheresBarnaby 08-11-2006 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan97 (Post 6258968)
How about Recchi?? He has a couple of rings and I once saw an interview with him where he said, "I'm 5'8", that's my story and I'm sticking to it."

your off by two inches...

From http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4478

Mark Recchi Right Wing
Born Feb 1 1968 -- Kamloops, BC
Height 5.10 -- Weight 185

hockey_genius* 08-11-2006 03:45 AM

Cliff Ronning was clutch. Good old days.