HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: World Series of Poker (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=279655)

Synergy27 08-10-2006 06:21 PM

OT: World Series of Poker

Is anyone here watching the final table of the Main Event on Pay Per View? I couldn't justify dropping $25 on it, but I was wondering if anyone was checking it out, and if so, if it is as interesting as the edited version seen on TV.

CM Lundqvist 08-10-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27 (Post 6257551)
Is anyone here watching the final table of the Main Event on Pay Per View? I couldn't justify dropping $25 on it, but I was wondering if anyone was checking it out, and if so, if it is as interesting as the edited version seen on TV.

I totally agree, there is no justification to it. I love watching poker, especially the series, but no way I'm spending $25 on it to watch it once. I'd rather just wait for the DVD to come out.

Oh, and please don't spoil it for me, I want to find out for myself, unlike last year when my buddy ruined it by telling me Hachem won. Speaking of which... he sucks.

Edge 08-10-2006 06:46 PM

Won't tell you anything than.

Nevada Cancer Institute was just named the tournaments official charity, they happen to be one of my clients so I've been very involved in the tournament.

Weird guys....very weird guys.

xander 08-10-2006 07:20 PM

4 years ago people laughed at the idea of putting poker on tv, now they're charging you to watch. :dunno: I can't explain it. I love to play holdem, but I've never understood the atraction of watching it.

Edge 08-10-2006 07:27 PM

I think people watch, knowingly or not, to make their games better and get rid of lingering doubts that they're not very good at cards.

xander 08-10-2006 08:09 PM

how would watching players that are much better than you help that? I would imagine that it would just create more doubt. the few times I've watched I've just thought about how much money I would lose if I was across the table from those guys.

FLYLine24* 08-10-2006 08:48 PM

In other news I just won a 6 man tournament on PartyPoker and tripled my $6 bucks :D :yashin:

CM Lundqvist 08-10-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 6257731)
Won't tell you anything than.

Nevada Cancer Institute was just named the tournaments official charity, they happen to be one of my clients so I've been very involved in the tournament.

Weird guys....very weird guys.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

That's pretty cool though, do you normally keep up with it, or do you just watch casually here and there?

Synergy27 08-11-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander (Post 6258246)
how would watching players that are much better than you help that? I would imagine that it would just create more doubt. the few times I've watched I've just thought about how much money I would lose if I was across the table from those guys.

I've personally gleaned alot from watching poker on TV. I am by no means a poker pro, but I play online ALOT and do quite well. While I would definitely agree that many of the poker skills that are required to be a very good player (i.e. reading tells, poker face) can't really be learned by watching others play, things like situational betting and the pure mathematics can be, and these are the things that are most important to amateur poker players in my opinion.

xander 08-11-2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27 (Post 6259933)
I've personally gleaned alot from watching poker on TV. I am by no means a poker pro, but I play online ALOT and do quite well. While I would definitely agree that many of the poker skills that are required to be a very good player (i.e. reading tells, poker face) can't really be learned by watching others play, things like situational betting and the pure mathematics can be, and these are the things that are most important to amateur poker players in my opinion.

oh, i agree that you can learn from watching these guys. My roomate freshman year had it on all the time and I did actually learn a bit when I took the time to watch, but I was also bored out of my mind. Forr me, poker is a social activity, if I'm not involved it just doesn't hold much interest.

Balej20* 08-11-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 6258513)
In other news I just won a 6 man tournament on PartyPoker and tripled my $6 bucks :D :yashin:

hahah I like how that smiley face with the dollar signs is called "Yashin"

CM Lundqvist 08-11-2006 12:59 AM

HAHA YASHIN. :yashin:

As we say in New Yawk...

How you doin', Jason Spezza?!?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Edge 08-11-2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 (Post 6258759)
Thanks, I appreciate it.

That's pretty cool though, do you normally keep up with it, or do you just watch casually here and there?

It's one of those things that I don't seek it out, but whenever I land on the channel I just end up watching it.

The guys themselves are even weirder than they come off on TV, but it's one of those things that is interesting to check out once.

Bull riding, Nascar, Poker. Silly things that are especially enoyable live for some reason.

IanB 08-11-2006 05:54 AM

You're not going to learn anything from watching the severely edited poker you see on TV.

They charge $25 because what you're getting is hours of poker... uncut.

CM Lundqvist 08-11-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 6260179)
It's one of those things that I don't seek it out, but whenever I land on the channel I just end up watching it.

The guys themselves are even weirder than they come off on TV, but it's one of those things that is interesting to check out once.

Bull riding, Nascar, Poker. Silly things that are especially enoyable live for some reason.

I think I'd enjoy poker on tv a lot more. Sitting down in the audience for hours watching a tournament has to be boredom at it's worst, considering the stuff you see on ESPN, that's like 15-20 hands out of THOUSANDS a day at the world series. Sitting through that whole tournament would take a real long attention span, something I don't have.

But yeah, I agree on Bullriding and NASCAR.

At least the personalities in poker are a lot more enjoyable and entertaining.

VisionQuest* 08-15-2006 07:47 AM

Anyone here ever play at the Mayfair?
Or know about the upcoming book/movie about it?

Bluff just did a decent article on the rise and fall of NYC poker...