HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Where I can learn to skate again in MTL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=280502)

didouche 08-13-2006 10:34 PM

OT: Where I can learn to skate again in MTL

Hello everyone,
:blush: I haven't skate in over 13 years ( mainly because I lived in the tropical islands for 8 years) and i've been wanting to start skating again... I tried looking on the internet and I can't seem to find anything...

any place u guys might suggest....

BTW I live in NDG

Thanks in advance:bow: :bow: :help: :bow: :)

Galchenyuk x 27 08-13-2006 10:37 PM

how do u forget how to skate?

its like riding a bike.

znk 08-13-2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 6278831)

its like riding a bike.

not really lol.

There is the Atrium where you could skate arround.
http://www.le1000.com/en/atrium_intro.asp

Galchenyuk x 27 08-13-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6278904)
not really lol.

There is the Atrium where you could skate arround.
http://www.le1000.com/en/atrium_intro.asp

i believe it is... back in 2000 I broke my ankle in 3 places and I was scared to get on the ice after. I didnt get back on untill 2003. When I did jump back on, It was like I was never off.

Kirk Muller* 08-13-2006 11:00 PM

If you live in NDG, there are at least two free outdoor rinks in the neighbourhood that will have free skating hours. One is corner Girouard-Côte St. Antoine and the other is corner Boulevard-Terrebonne.

didouche 08-13-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 6278831)

its like riding a bike.

try leaving canada at 10 and staying in haiti for 8 years where there is no ice....

skating around is cool but I wanted some lessons so it can come back faster

Russeltown 08-13-2006 11:03 PM

Yeah you should go to the Atrium at the 1000 de la gauchetière.
You can enjoy a great time while you're skating. :)

It's at Bonaventure or Lucien L'allier metro station.

znk 08-13-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 6278942)
i believe it is... back in 2000 I broke my ankle in 3 places and I was scared to get on the ice after. I didnt get back on untill 2003. When I did jump back on, It was like I was never off.

I played in some roller hockey leagues durring the summers and when I got back on my sakets I looked like an idiot for a few moments. I also stopped playing hockey for 3 years and when I got back on my skates I really wasnt as good as I was 3 years before. Thankfully I didnt use rollerblades either durring those 3 years. If I had I would have had taken way to many bad habbits.
Anyway 13 years is a long time.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 08-13-2006 11:10 PM

Just go to any outside rinks... I never laced skates until I was 17-18 years old when I bought skates and a stick (I would strongly recommand a good old wood stick). I picked it up like in two days and he could skate as well and anyone else. If anything I was a lot faster than everyone I played with and never lost balance. Since we're still in off-season, I would do lots of squats and deadlifts at the gym, it will make you a much much stronger player (good leg strenght = power and explosiveness). Also, you could have a look at the training section there ---> http://nikebauer.com/

I agree it's like riding a bike, if you already skated it will come back.

RedArmyMontreal* 08-13-2006 11:16 PM

I stopped skating 8 years straight once, and it's not like bike... you can lose it.. at least I did.

It did come back after 12-15 times but it required some work, its definately not like a bicycle.

Russeltown 08-13-2006 11:19 PM

I was a very good skater when I was young. Now I have difficulty to break :(

HH 08-13-2006 11:28 PM

lol I was a sniper in my Bantam house league but I was slow...and I couldn't skate backwards.

Galchenyuk x 27 08-13-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs911 (Post 6279097)
lol I was a sniper in my Bantam house league but I was slow...and I couldn't skate backwards.

slow and cudnt skate backwards... Bantam B or C ??

my grandmother can be a sniper in bantam b or c

znk 08-13-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 6279118)

Pierre Dagenais did it in the NHL.

HH 08-13-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 6279118)

no man house league in CSL...lol

Galchenyuk x 27 08-14-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs911 (Post 6279185)
no man house league in CSL...lol

theirs no such thing as house league... its AA-BB-CC-A-B-C, house league is A-B or C... if u cudnt skate basckwards, you definatly didnt play A so its B or C

Goalie3636 08-14-2006 12:46 AM

No there's house league man but it's pretty bad hockey, in fact C and B aren't that great either.

Galchenyuk x 27 08-14-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie3636 (Post 6279468)
No there's house league man but it's pretty bad hockey, in fact C and B aren't that great either.

I know C and B are bad..actually, their horrible. I rather not play.

and no, theirs no house league, house league is A-B and C.. trust me, I played hockey for 11 years and ive been a coach for 6 years now. Althought I always played double letters, I coached Bantam A for 2 years and Midget A for 1 year and they were considered house league. If your wondering, now i coach Midget Espoir.

chitownhabsfan 08-14-2006 01:06 PM

Try this web site...

http://www.ndghockey.com/

and on the left/gauche side, click on 'Arena Maps' to obtain a listing with addresses and phone numbers. Once you select one, call to find out the public skating hours?

For the future, improve your personal skills by using various search engines to obtain the information you want. I used www.google.ca and searched on "NDG."

badfish 08-14-2006 03:56 PM

i still play hockey, midget, we were houseleague so we went to a B tournament in the ottawa area, though we didnt win, even our worst players were far better then their best, lost out by goal differencial.

Habs 4 Life 08-14-2006 03:57 PM

Mike Ribeiro skating school;)

Maitz 08-14-2006 04:21 PM

I've always been cut from the AA because I was too slow , my last coach compare me to Spezza with less speed

Anksun 08-14-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6278992)
I played in some roller hockey leagues durring the summers and when I got back on my sakets I looked like an idiot for a few moments. I also stopped playing hockey for 3 years and when I got back on my skates I really wasnt as good as I was 3 years before. Thankfully I didnt use rollerblades either durring those 3 years. If I had I would have had taken way to many bad habbits.
Anyway 13 years is a long time.

Roller skating is bad for ice skating. At least in my case. The neutral standing point is NOT the same. The first wheel goes farther than the skate itself which allow you to put more weight on the front part.

I actually looks like an idiot for an hour each season when i'm switching from roller skating to ice skating. A few years ago, i had skate so much in the summer, i actually had problem standing up without moving on my skates in the summer...

I'm in for a funny hour each new winter. It goes from young boys having fun of me to me skating around them backward in a hour span. ;)

As for not skating in years. If you were any good 8 years ago, give it a try, really. You could be surprise how fast you will catch it back.

Ape Clutch 08-14-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maitz (Post 6283937)
I've always been cut from the AA because I was too slow , my last coach compare me to Spezza with less speed

$#!t SON Go DO Some POWERSKATING!!

Slick Nick 08-15-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syn (Post 6279049)
I was a very good skater when I was young. Now I have difficulty to break :(

I skate well, but I never learned to break :cry: I tend to jump sideways instead of simply applying a pressure... Look like an idiot all the time.. it's prolly because I rollerbladed (ramp/rails) for like 8 years and it's almost the same motion as grinding a rail.

Anyways... I think I'll never learn to break normaly:(