HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wouldn't Atlanta be a nice place for Bonk? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=280998)

Kafka 08-15-2006 01:52 PM

Wouldn't Atlanta be a nice place for Bonk?

Decided to start a thread with this question only for one reason: Bonk used to do well playing with Hossa (you wouldn't play well with Hossa) and Atlanta may be looking for a center with the departure of Savard. The only thing I don't know is the salary room of the Thrashers. I don't like threads proposing trades... I just see that as an E3 kind of rumor. ;) ... but feel that both teams could be winners.

Dan K 08-15-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafka (Post 6290690)
Decided to start a thread with this question only for one reason: Bonk used to do well playing with Hossa (you wouldn't play well with Hossa) and Atlanta may be looking for a center with the departure of Savard. The only thing I don't know is the salary room of the Thrashers. I don't like threads proposing trades... I just see that as an E3 kind of rumor. ;) ... but feel that both teams could be winners.

The Thrashers don't have a lot of room. I believe they were cited as being one of the teams over the cap last year.

They did lose the salaries of Savard and Modry, but I don't think they have much interest in Bonk.

There was talk of some sort of Bonk / Holik swap, though I assume we'd have to add a little something. Personally, I'm not sure I like the idea.

Habs 4 Life 08-15-2006 02:05 PM

Too bad it's not like soccer,we can loan him for a season:biglaugh:

ti-vite 08-15-2006 02:51 PM

He could certainly use the sun...

Guy Germaine 08-15-2006 03:06 PM

I've thought of this before and it makes a lot of sense.
Bonk did have some good seasons with Hossa and Bonk's defensive "prowess" if you will ,should be well appreciated on the defensively challenged Trashers.

Who's gonna be the no.1 C in Atlanta anyway, they didn't pick anybody up after Savard, did they?

Blind Gardien 08-15-2006 03:09 PM

Atlanta might be a decent fit for Bonk. They're at around $39M now on projected salary, but still need to re-sign Kari Lehtonen. Steve Rucchin and Bobby Holik would presumably stand as their top two ideas at centre for the big lines.
:dunno:
But I still don't see why we'd want to trade him. We'll get nothing back for him that might come close to what he might potentially do for us in his contract year.

Safir* 08-15-2006 03:11 PM

Yeah...center #7 for the Thrash.

Guy Germaine 08-15-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6291340)
Steve Rucchin and Bobby Holik would presumably stand as their top two ideas at centre for the big lines

:biglaugh: should be a long season for the trash then.

Galchenkel 08-15-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother_pucker (Post 6291417)
:biglaugh: should be a long season for the trash then.

don't forget that they have those two guys named kovalchuk and hossa on the wings ;)

Nobak 08-15-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

But I still don't see why we'd want to trade him. We'll get nothing back for him that might come close to what he might potentially do for us in his contract year.

Depends where we put his salary I guess. Personally, I don't think his play is likely to exceed the value of his contract, even in a contract year.

frederixx 08-15-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother_pucker (Post 6291312)
Who's gonna be the no.1 C in Atlanta anyway, they didn't pick anybody up after Savard, did they?

they got Rucchin

so they have Rucchin, Slater, Kapanen and Holik

Joey 08-15-2006 06:02 PM

I thought I read that Glen Metropolit was signed by Atlanta to try as a C with Hossa. They have thin depth so I guess it could be a poor man's bandaid solution until they are in the position to obtain a better centre

Marksman 08-15-2006 06:20 PM

How about Rangers? Bonk would add another Czech player into colony and he did pretty well with younger Hossa aswell, if you remember.:)

Netro 08-15-2006 06:27 PM

Let me ask a simple question: Why, at the moment, would anybody take on Bonk's contract given his performance last year?

I'd be stunned if Bonk is moved prior to the season commencing. Actually, I'd be stunned if he is moved. If Bonk performs, then he may garner interest around the trade deadline but assuming the Habs are in the thick of things, I don't see them trading him if he performs.

Dwight 08-15-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederixx (Post 6292249)
they got Rucchin

so they have Rucchin, Slater, Kapanen and Holik

Don't they also have Jason Krog?

frederixx 08-15-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 6292294)
I thought I read that Glen Metropolit was signed by Atlanta to try as a C with Hossa. They have thin depth so I guess it could be a poor man's bandaid solution until they are in the position to obtain a better centre

he's 32 already and never played a full season in the NHL... i think he was playing in Finland for the past 3-4 seasons.

he might have a chance (just like Streit with Montreal), but don't pick him up in your hockey pool (too soon)...

frederixx 08-15-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad (Post 6292536)
Don't they also have Jason Krog?

yes, he might have a chance to center the fourth line, but i guess they'll go with the ones listed above or Metropolit...

kariya24 08-15-2006 06:59 PM

He will end up in Washington or Colombus :teach: I hope he goes away real soon!!!

Kirk Muller* 08-15-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite (Post 6291211)
He could certainly use the sun...

haha, i've noticed he's quite pale too

HappyFan 08-15-2006 09:24 PM

You guys are too hard on Bonk and the season hasn't even started yet. For everyone who says we need a big 2nd-line centre, we have a guy who is 6'3" 220lbs averaged 50pts over the past two seasons and plays D like a BEAST.

If Carbo can keep him motivated, I think Ribiero's replacement is sitting right under our noses.

Astaroth 08-15-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Atlanta might be a decent fit for Bonk. They're at around $39M now on projected salary, but still need to re-sign Kari Lehtonen. Steve Rucchin and Bobby Holik would presumably stand as their top two ideas at centre for the big lines.
:dunno:

Atlanta has a self-imposed cap of 40-41 million.

SpreeEndaz 08-15-2006 11:36 PM

A little typo in the topic title, Atlantis is more like an adequate place to send Bonk, far from our sight.

Nobak 08-16-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz (Post 6294850)
A little typo in the topic title, Atlantis is more like an adequate place to send Bonk, far from our sight.

That's a bit extreme. I don't wish for him to drown.

madbox 08-16-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyFan (Post 6293983)
You guys are too hard on Bonk and the season hasn't even started yet. For everyone who says we need a big 2nd-line centre, we have a guy who is 6'3" 220lbs averaged 50pts over the past two seasons and plays D like a BEAST.

If Carbo can keep him motivated, I think Ribiero's replacement is sitting right under our noses.

Now that's some optimism. :D

Really do like Bonk, once he was adjusted and fully healthy he did play pretty darn good in the defensive role asked of him. Wouldn't mind seeing him stick around.

bayrider 08-16-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyFan (Post 6293983)

And when he was called upon to be our #1 or #2 center when Koivu was out during the season and the playoffs, he was absolutely useless.