HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs fan and the "John Leclair" Syndrome (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=282622)

Bob Bastards 08-21-2006 11:09 AM

Habs fan and the "John Leclair" Syndrome
 
I just check the "Dumont talk" thread and found out 39 pages of reply about the subject. I really start to wonder about the fans frenzy over scorer wanabe. 39 pages for a guy who never put more then 23 goals in a given year?
I thing about that during the week-end (I have a really big lawn so a lot of time to thing about those stupidity:D) and I sum up all this crazy talk in what I named the "John Leclair" syndrome.
Every body know John Leclair story, the guy was trade to Philly during is fourth year with the Habs, scoring 19 goals during is last two year and BANG! Score 50 goals in is next 3 years (playing with Lindros and Primeau on the "Legion of Doom" line have nothing to do with it...). So everybody get piss off about it and we all develop the new syndrome describe as is:

Syndrome, "John Leclair":
The syndrome start in every Habs fans when the Habs GM trade a player and/or a personel member of the team to another team and everybody think he will become the next Wayne Gretzky.
Symptom: lose of sleep, lots of rabid type drooling and hard time stoping all those open line radio calling...

Here is some exemple where Habs fan develop the John Leclair syndrome and the end result of the trade:

- Eric Chouinard trade:
Result: Trade back to the Phoenix and sign with a unnamable Russian club...

- Jozef Balej trade:
Result: Trade to the Canucks for the Federov brother. Play 18 games in the NHL and score 1 goal. Big deal...

- Andre Savard resign:
Result: Nothing yet, but some think the Penguin will win the cup this year...

- Dumont will sing elsewhere:
Result: Nothing yet but some think he will score 40 goals next year and we will end up in 30th place because of that.

So what can we do to prevent any other spreading of the syndrome? Pills? A new GM? Sign every player who are free? Resign John Leclair?
Please help me stop the pain and give Habs fan a reason to dream...

Bob *******, MD.

ti-vite 08-21-2006 11:24 AM

Hossa = ziltch...

Hainsey = pretty good year...

Beauchemin = Fuel to the Leclair fire!

nyhabsfan 08-21-2006 11:52 AM

Leclair "Syndrom" Not Valid
 
You forget about one thing in your "syndrom" arguement.

John's potential was undeniable, if you recall he scored two OT goals against the Kings in the '93 playoffs the year before.

He was HUGE, nobody could move him off the puck in the corners and he was a great skater for his size. I remember seeing #17 split the D and had to jam on the breaks at the opposition blue line as he had to wait for a puck that usually never came.

You could see his POTENTIAL and his size and strength alone was something we have never had since he left.

Vokun, Beachemin, Hainsey are good ones that we lost

Hossa, Chounaird seem to be good decisions.

But the one that hurts the most IMO in the last 15 years was Johnny Leclair, and what added salt to those wounds was how he KILLED us every year.:banghead: :banghead:


But you know what... both he and Desjardens only on ONE cup....as Habs!!!! :clap:

GSK* 08-21-2006 12:13 PM

I don't really matter about those thing.


But I think we've be not enough patient in the Ron Hainsey case.

The n00b King * 08-21-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6332778)
I don't really matter about those thing.


But I think we've be not enough patient in the Ron Hainsey case.


the montreal Night Life was too much for Hollywood Hainsey

Le Tricolore 08-21-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite (Post 6332422)
Hossa = ziltch...

Hainsey = pretty good year...

Beauchemin = Fuel to the Leclair fire!

Beauchemin is okay and all, but it's not like he'll be a superstar. Remember that he was playing with Niedermayer, too. That helped him out a lot.

SOLR 08-21-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-vite (Post 6332422)
Hossa = ziltch...

Hainsey = pretty good year...

Beauchemin = Fuel to the Leclair fire!

No. Beauchemin is just playing with Neidermayer. Can we stop with him already, I doubt he would make the habs lineup.

Hainsey pretty good year? Of course on a team that plays for less than 500. Another who wouldnt be on our team.

mcphee 08-21-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 6332829)
Beauchemin is okay and all, but it's not like he'll be a superstar. Remember that he was playing with Niedermayer, too. That helped him out a lot.

You know, I like Beauchemin. I always like the guys who get labelled career AHL'er,keep working, and make it. Yeah, it was a mistake to lose him imo, but mistakes get made. Not having him doesn't set back the team. Not being able to get a Niedermayer like guy is more of a long range issue.

ti-vite 08-21-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 6332829)
Beauchemin is okay and all, but it's not like he'll be a superstar. Remember that he was playing with Niedermayer, too. That helped him out a lot.

I agree and have argued in other threads as you have indicated, however many posters will continuously remind us of Beauchemin and most probably include 'leclairism' with it, hence Beauchemin's year adds fuel to the syndrom fire.

I think Hainsey had a good year for Hainsey. 17ptsd in 55 games, +13 on team chock full of negatives. Good year for him. Could he have made our top 6, no, reserve 7 or 8, maybe...good luck to rockey ron this year.

MojoJojo 08-21-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ******** (Post 6332315)
(playing with Lindros and Primeau on the "Legion of Doom" line have nothing to do with it)

The Legion of Doom was Leclair Lindros Renberg. Primeau was never on that line.

Bob Bastards 08-21-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo (Post 6333151)
The Legion of Doom was Leclair Lindros Renberg. Primeau was never on that line.

You are right!
I just check and primeau start to play for Philly in 99 only. I was so sure about this... Anyway it will teach me to start a thread before my second cup of coffee:D

Stiffler 08-21-2006 01:26 PM

I like the concept, the LeClair trade hapened once and people are still scared of trades because of it. I would add the Garon trade to the list of examples. Garon was highly inconsistent last year, so much that the Kings traded for Dan Cloutier this summer. Yet, we kept hearing how huge of a mistake it could turn out to be. I guess BG knows a bit about hockey too...

It's much worse though when listening to CKAC or the common fan than on these boards, where people know more about hockey. Some fans tend to think that every player traded by the habs became stars with their new team, when it's obviously not the case. And since Bob Gainey came over, we're yet to be on the losing end of a trade... Beauchemin and Hainsey were lost via waivers anyway, and neither of them has turned into a star... And Hainsey was lost at a time when we had no choice but to call him up, back when we needed defs at all costs!

toshiro 08-21-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ******** (Post 6332315)
I just check the "Dumont talk" thread and found out 39 pages of reply about the subject. I really start to wonder about the fans frenzy over scorer wanabe. 39 pages for a guy who never put more then 23 goals in a given year?
I thing about that during the week-end (I have a really big lawn so a lot of time to thing about those stupidity:D) and I sum up all this crazy talk in what I named the "John Leclair" syndrome.
Every body know John Leclair story, the guy was trade to Philly during is fourth year with the Habs, scoring 19 goals during is last two year and BANG! Score 50 goals in is next 3 years (playing with Lindros and Primeau on the "Legion of Doom" line have nothing to do with it...). So everybody get piss off about it and we all develop the new syndrome describe as is:

Syndrome, "John Leclair":
The syndrome start in every Habs fans when the Habs GM trade a player and/or a personel member of the team to another team and everybody think he will become the next Wayne Gretzky.
Symptom: lose of sleep, lots of rabid type drooling and hard time stoping all those open line radio calling...

Here is some exemple where Habs fan develop the John Leclair syndrome and the end result of the trade:

- Eric Chouinard trade:
Result: Trade back to the Phoenix and sign with a unnamable Russian club...

- Jozef Balej trade:
Result: Trade to the Canucks for the Federov brother. Play 18 games in the NHL and score 1 goal. Big deal...

- Andre Savard resign:
Result: Nothing yet, but some think the Penguin will win the cup this year...

- Dumont will sing elsewhere:
Result: Nothing yet but some think he will score 40 goals next year and we will end up in 30th place because of that.

So what can we do to prevent any other spreading of the syndrome? Pills? A new GM? Sign every player who are free? Resign John Leclair?
Please help me stop the pain and give Habs fan a reason to dream...

Bob *******, MD.

Before that it was the Langway Engblom trade, the Mark Hunter trade and the Chelios trade. BG finally won one for the Habs with Huet.

Freaky Habs Fan 08-21-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 6334171)
Before that it was the Langway Engblom trade, the Mark Hunter trade and the Chelios trade. BG finally won one for the Habs with Huet.

The Habs also won the Zednik/Bulis trade...

It's not like we never had a good trade...

toshiro 08-21-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 6334189)
The Habs also won the Zednik/Bulis trade...

It's not like we never had a good trade...

I would tend to agree but Bulis and Zed were recently cast off so we can only hope perogi turns out. Would Zubrus be a useful player?

Le Tricolore 08-21-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 6334295)
I would tend to agree but Bulis and Zed were recently cast off so we can only hope perogi turns out. Would Zubrus be a useful player?

I doubt it.

Darz 08-21-2006 09:51 PM

I think it should be verified that only a certain portion of habs fans suffer from "John Leclair" Syndrome.

Yes...the habs have lost some trades, won some trades, but what the hell, so has every team in the NHL. And in the past 20 years we have won more cups than a majority of the team in the league, so we can't say the pre-Houle management team was that bad.

For ever John Leclair trade that keeps being brought up there is a trade like Russ Courtnall for John Kordic that these fans tend to forget. Or Bobby Smith for Keith Acton/Mark Napier. Or Kirk Muller for Richer.

Teufelsdreck 08-21-2006 10:17 PM

Theoretically speaking, the only way to avoid getting burnt in a trade is to adopt a policy of never making one. However, in the real world of the post-CBA NHL, no GM ever adheres to that idiotic policy because it not only precludes immediate improvement, but also leads to an accumulation of potential free agents and/or high-salaried older veterans who don't fit under the cap and have to be released for no return. Fans who live in mortal terror of trading any good player from their team have a severe neurosis. So, fans, let the professional managers do the job for which they are being paid megabucks and then await the results before moaning.

habsfan44 08-22-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6333036)
You know, I like Beauchemin. I always like the guys who get labelled career AHL'er,keep working, and make it. Yeah, it was a mistake to lose him imo, but mistakes get made. Not having him doesn't set back the team. Not being able to get a Niedermayer like guy is more of a long range issue.

i agree mistakes are made by management at times , thankfully some members of this board are not the G.M. of the canadiens because then we could add ryder , markov , souray , higgins , and perezhogin to that list .

Buumbaclat 08-22-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo (Post 6333151)
The Legion of Doom was Leclair Lindros Renberg. Primeau was never on that line.

Wasnt Brind'amour somewhere there too?

loudi94 08-22-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 6334189)
The Habs also won the Zednik/Bulis trade...

It's not like we never had a good trade...

Russ Courtnall for John Kordic (R.I.P.)


The thing with LeClair if anyone remembers the infamous game with Philadelphia shortly before he was traded, is that he was a monster when he wanted to be. In that game he and Lindros as Dick Irvin put it "were after each other like a couple of young bucks". At that point , Philly had to have him and Montreal gave up way more than they needed to.

No one envisioned 50 goals, but he was let go too cheaply. Had we not underestimated his ability (doesn't seem to be a problem overestimating prospects' abilities now :) ) the sting wouldn't have been so bad.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.