HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Koivu present at camp (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=282876)

Shatmat* 08-22-2006 10:10 AM

Koivu present at camp

Sorry, in french only:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

Freaky Habs Fan 08-22-2006 10:53 AM

Happy to see that he's most likely going to start the season against Buffalo, but on the other end, I'm wondering if he will ever be the same player...he's a playmaker so if he can't see to his side, it might be a big problem...

Dan K 08-22-2006 11:03 AM

Translation by yours truly:

Koivu ready for the beginning of the season?

Richard Labbé

La Presse

If things continue as they have been going, Saku Koivu will be on the ice on Octobre 6th in Buffalo, when the Canadiens begin their 2006-2007 regular season.

"I'm doing well," said Koivu to La Presse yesterday, during a telephone interview from Finland. "I had to rest in the beginning of the Summer, but I've started training again the past 4 or 5 weeks, and I started skating almost 3 weeks ago with my former team (TPS Turku). I skated with the whole time twice, but without any contact. Thus far, it's going well..."

The Canadiens' leader is very optimistic. He foresees his return with the team as early as in the season opener. "That' swhat I'm hoping for. We'll see... I just hope there won't be any complications between now and then. As long as there are no complications, I remain optimistic."

For the time being, the return to business is going rather well, but there is still one problem: the Canadiens captain still has some problems in seeing the play well. The effects of the injury to his left eye that occured on April 26th during a playoff tilt with the Carolina Hurricanes are still being felt. He still admits to having a loss to his field of vision.

"When I look straight ahead, it's fine, but I have trouble seeing to the sides. It's a bit of a problem... My left eye is still slightly closed. But it's getting better and my eye is getting closer to its usual shape. I'll be undergoing more tests when I get back to Montreal."

Koivu doesn't think another operation will be necessary, having already undergone surgery in May to repair a retina tear. He just hopes to be able to re-find his field of vision fairly quickly.

"I hope to be ready for the beginning of training camp," he adds. "I'll have a better idea of my health status after the 2 first days of camp. Between now and then, I'll continue to skate, and we'll see if any problems occur in the process. Up till now, my summer has gone just as I'd hoped."

The Koivu of today is thus nothing like the Koivu of a few months ago. No longer is he the player who was wondering a bit if this slash from the stick of Justin Williams of the Hurricanes might end his hockey career.

After going through some serious doubts about his future, Saku Koivu knows that he now has a bit of light on the horizon, he who, not long ago, was unable to predict a date for his return to the ice.

"It's true that at one time, I thought that maybe it was over for me. But the doctor told me I had to wait before jumping to conclusions... I know there is no guarantie; nobody can predict how the eye will react in the next little while. I do realize one thing: since I've started training again, I haven't regressed. That's why I'm optimistic. I don't have a choice. There are still some question marks about my condition, but each day that passes is a sign of progress to me."
Possible médicalement

With a bit of luck, the Canadiens star will be able to continue his progression and re-find his full field of vision.

According to Sebastien Olivier, an optometrist at the Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, the signs of progress experienced by Koivu make one believe that the forward will be able to heal fully from his injury.

"It's possible," explained M. Olivier during a telephone interview yesterday. "I haven't see the results of Saku Koivu's exams, so I make these statements with reservation, but if he affirms seeing progress, that's a good sign. In a case like this, it's often a question of months. He got hurt in April, so it's already been a few months... Some people recover well, others don't. There is nothing cetain. But we know that the field of vision of a person can heal with time. Anything is possible."

Saku Koivu plans to return to Montreal at the beginning of September. He plans to then participate in the annual Canadiens golf tournament, which will take place September 5th.

JMMR 08-22-2006 01:53 PM

Thanks for the translation.
I hope his eye is 100% soon, for an athlete in a game as quick as hockey vision is so valuable but Bryan Berad plays pretty well for not have 100% in one of his eyes.

Habs13 08-22-2006 02:07 PM

A puke like Justin Williams can't slow God down... c'mon!

wpg_habsfan 08-22-2006 03:28 PM

Here's the story in english:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175005&hubname=

pavlako11 08-22-2006 03:42 PM

Just his presence alone is good enough for me, but this is great news!

In Koivu we Trust :bow:

HABitual 08-22-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpg_habsfan (Post 6340988)

That's a huge relief but I wonder if his limited vision will affect his play

22SteveBegin22 08-22-2006 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
reportedly they've got a surgical solution already planned out in case his L/R vision doesn't balance because one eye is better than the other...

He'll still be just as awesome!

JMMR 08-22-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 (Post 6341549)
reportedly they've got a surgical solution already planned out in case his L/R vision doesn't balance because one eye is better than the other...

Cyclopes KOIVU

HABitual 08-22-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 (Post 6341549)

:eek:

KaptainKourage* 08-22-2006 06:26 PM

Saku Koivu is god. Even if he suck offensivly his determinations will lead us. He's OUR leader. Whatever what is salary is... i just CANT imagin the Montreal Canadiens w/o Saku Koivu

Le Tricolore 08-22-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptainKourage (Post 6342662)
Saku Koivu is god. Even if he suck offensivly his determinations will lead us. He's OUR leader. Whatever what is salary is... i just CANT imagin the Montreal Canadiens w/o Saku Koivu

yeah... except he's quite good offensively.

Hackett 08-22-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs13 (Post 6340269)
A puke like Justin Williams can't slow God down... c'mon!

karma shall get justin williams. You dont mess with god! :teach:

KaptainKourage* 08-22-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 6343850)
yeah... except he's quite good offensively.

That a +

22SteveBegin22 08-23-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackett (Post 6344012)
karma shall get justin williams. You dont mess with god! :teach:

did Sheldon Souray change his name to Karma during the offseason? I didn't see anything about that...

canada_habs2006 08-23-2006 11:11 AM

hamilton spec says Koivu 'hopes' to return Oct 6

I was reading the paper today and saw that the only news regarding Koivu was that he hopes to come back and that he'll have to wait and see?

it was April, i don't see how he couldn't recover by October, i remember during the playoffs, we thought he'd be back for the next round.

this certaily isn't what the Habs need right off the start of the season, and the whole situation with Koivu isn't sounding promising

Habs10Habs 08-23-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada_habs2006 (Post 6346748)
I was reading the paper today and saw that the only news regarding Koivu was that he hopes to come back and that he'll have to wait and see?

it was April, i don't see how he couldn't recover by October, i remember during the playoffs, we thought he'd be back for the next round.

this certaily isn't what the Habs need right off the start of the season, and the whole situation with Koivu isn't sounding promising

I'm a little nervous, but if anyone can make a full recovery. It's our Capt. Koivu.

Hackett 08-23-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 (Post 6346367)
did Sheldon Souray change his name to Karma during the offseason? I didn't see anything about that...

:biglaugh:

But its not like Williams hit koivu on puropse. So it would look bad for a player to go after williams on purpose. So leave it to karma.

But it made me sick that this player got awarded a stanley cup for his wrecklessness that likely cost montreal a 1st round victory.

Sour grapes? You bet!

I cant get that image of koivu's bloody eye out of my head even at this point. :(

Oh well, here's to a recovering saku koivu. Hopefully, he regains full vision :cheers: