HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   When do the Habs offer Markov an extension? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=283811)

Drive425 08-25-2006 06:42 PM

When do the Habs offer Markov an extension?
 
Do you all think Montreal should lock Markov up into a new contract before he hits the open market? I'm sure he could command big $$ if he becomes a free agent.
Maybe a mid season contract extension for 3 years at 5 mill per?? Thoughts?

KaptainKourage* 08-25-2006 06:46 PM

Done deal as far as im concerned.

JordanStaal#1Fan 08-25-2006 06:47 PM

January first! As soon as they can and give him whatever he wants. Without Andrei, we are screwed.

tmc 08-25-2006 06:58 PM

jan 1st:yo:

ChemiseBleuHonnete 08-25-2006 07:02 PM

asap

Form and Substance 08-25-2006 07:09 PM

at 5 mil a year? he'll need a career season to command those bucks, remember guys, he's totally underrated around the league so people won't be putting him in the same boat as Kubina yet. That being said, Markov is the last player on the roster that Montreal should lowball. He needs to stay if we want to remain competitive.

goalchenyuk 08-25-2006 07:21 PM

Markov is an enigmatic player ;

what kind of person is he ? the one who will try to get the max or left the province because of the taxes , or the one who is so shy that he could accepts even less just to stay in a familiar place where at least , he knows few poeple few places , few streets

bayrider 08-25-2006 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# (Post 6362376)
Markov is an enigmatic player ;

what kind of person is he ? the one who will try to get the max or left the province because of the taxes , or the one who is so shy that he could accepts even less just to stay in a familiar place where at least , he knows few poeple few places , few streets

cool, we know someone who knows Markov personally :sarcasm:

Drive425 08-25-2006 07:25 PM

He does have his Russian teammates, I think Kovy and Samy being here will make a big impact on Markov to stay. Personally I think Markov is our best Dman hands down. Remember how we sucked when he was hurt. I don't think the habs can afford to lose him imho.

habsprospects 08-25-2006 07:33 PM

actually the January 1st rule is only for player who are on a 1 year contract, I think Markov signed a two year contract last time

so they can extend his contract right now

other problem, they can only extend contract up to an averaged amount of the payroll room + the averaged amount of contract scheduled to expire at the end of next season, which might not be enough

bayrider 08-25-2006 08:06 PM

Gainey gave Koivu a hefty, and well deserved raise midway through the season.

Gainey will do the same for Markov when the time is right. With salary caps and what not, it's best to retain your marquee players during the season when all is silent.

Can you imagine the circus that would be hovering above the Habs and especially Gainey if Gainey waited for the free agency market to begin?

coolguy21415 08-25-2006 08:11 PM

Yeah they can't negotiate an extension until after January 1st. Something to take into consideration though, is that his new average salary takes effect immediately. So if we're close to the cap come January or February, don't expect an extension until the offseason. That said, I expect we'll see negotiations take place after the trade deadline (and the salary level is constant), so sometime in March.

habsprospects 08-25-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 6362597)
Yeah they can't negotiate an extension until after January 1st. Something to take into consideration though, is that his new average salary takes effect immediately. So if we're close to the cap come January or February, don't expect an extension until the offseason. That said, I expect we'll see negotiations take place after the trade deadline (and the salary level is constant), so sometime in March.

I just said it was only for player on one year contract two posts above

JF 08-25-2006 08:48 PM

By the way, does anyone know who is Markov's agent?

Blind Gardien 08-25-2006 09:04 PM

thief50 has it right. We could extend Markov right now. However, if you read the relevant section on the CBA, there is some fine print about payroll room that may or may not come into play (I have no inclination to re-impale my eyeballs on the CBA tonight).

At any rate, as much as it would be great for us to extend him, I'd have to think his agent would know better. If he does have a breakout season and really maxes out the potential we believe he has, then he's a $5-6M player next summer, especially given that there probably aren't a lot of really elite d-men available (lots of good ones, but nobody who really stands out above the crowd). Obviously the Habs can't offer him $5-6M right now, because he hasn't proven himself to be that player yet. Best we could probably rationalise based on performance to date might be around $4M, or a Kaberle-like deal. No incentive whatsoever for him to sign that, unfortunately. :(

Mach27 08-25-2006 09:15 PM

Gainey will sign asap for at least 3 years. Markov is by far the Habs most important player. As the backbone of the defense, he stabilizes the team with his presence on the ice, and he often is the difference between a win and a loss. Just look at the Habs record with him out injured.

Markov plays like a mini-Lidstrom and does a lot of unnoticeable things that make him underrated. Often, fans question his intensity, but I think it's just his workload. Our No 2 and No 3 defensemen are Souray and Rivet and though the Habs have depth, they really don't have a great defensemen to complement Markov.

Once they get another solid defender, watch Andrei sour to new limits and in the mean time he'll likely be earning upwards of 5 Mil next season.

Sthabs 08-25-2006 09:37 PM

I d give him somethin like 4 - 4.5 - 5 after 3 years
Hey 5 millions is more than Koivu and Kovalev

Vasculio 08-25-2006 09:47 PM

5mil/season is ok with me. As Koivu is our leader overall, Markov is our quiet leader on the blueline, he doesn't speak much, he has garnered a 'weird/freak' personnality with the medias (althought IMO it's just that he doesn't speak alot, that's it), and he still have potential left.

We NEED this guy, simple as that...

coolguy21415 08-25-2006 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6362851)
thief50 has it right. We could extend Markov right now. However, if you read the relevant section on the CBA, there is some fine print about payroll room that may or may not come into play (I have no inclination to re-impale my eyeballs on the CBA tonight).

At any rate, as much as it would be great for us to extend him, I'd have to think his agent would know better. If he does have a breakout season and really maxes out the potential we believe he has, then he's a $5-6M player next summer, especially given that there probably aren't a lot of really elite d-men available (lots of good ones, but nobody who really stands out above the crowd). Obviously the Habs can't offer him $5-6M right now, because he hasn't proven himself to be that player yet. Best we could probably rationalise based on performance to date might be around $4M, or a Kaberle-like deal. No incentive whatsoever for him to sign that, unfortunately. :(

The deal with payroll room is that you can only sign the player to the amount of available payroll room you have next year. (Payroll - Continuing Contracts + Expiring Contracts). Note the Expiring contracts includes the contract you want to extend. However, the average contract value for the current season changes slightly, because now the average is (current salary + contract extension)/(extended contract length + amount of time left on current contract).

So long as the extension isn't exorbitantly larger than the current one, it shouldn't be a problem unless you have very little cap room. I would expect that if Pittsburgh extended Sidney Crosby it would cause problems from the jump from ~$1.5 to ~$5-6m or whatever.
[edit] You can't extend entry-level contracts, so assume in the above example it isn't an entry-level contract.

Sthabs 08-25-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiram (Post 6363088)
5mil/season is ok with me. As Koivu is our leader overall, Markov is our quiet leader on the blueline, he doesn't speak much, he has garnered a 'weird/freak' personnality with the medias (althought IMO it's just that he doesn't speak alot, that's it), and he still have potential left.

We NEED this guy, simple as that...


I will never argue with the fact that Andrei is the most important piece in our Defense , and in the top3 of our system overall
As we all saw, it s almost dangerous on how important he is to our game.
but i still don t believe he s worth more than Koivu and kovalev,
Markov, while playing really well the other seasons before the lockout never played as good as this season.
I still do not think he deserves 5 millions next year, 5 millions should be gave to someone like Koivu and kovalev that prooved what they re worth during the years.
I also dont agree with that freak image media gave him,(or some ppl on that board) that s really stupid. i also believe he s just a quiet guy and that s it

habsprospects 08-25-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 6363101)
You can't extend entry-level contracts, so assume in the above example it isn't an entry-level contract.

lol, on the entry-level system at his 7th year

goalchenyuk 08-25-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 6362401)
cool, we know someone who knows Markov personally :sarcasm:

???

it was a question i was asking ...what kind of person is he ?

i suggest two ways the negotiations could be looking , but i don't have any clue of how it will be .:dunno:

GSK* 08-25-2006 10:57 PM

That would be nice to know who his Markov agent.

Schooner Guy 08-25-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sthabs (Post 6363193)
I still do not think he deserves 5 millions next year, 5 millions should be gave to someone like Koivu and kovalev that prooved what they re worth during the years.


It doesn't matter. With the ridiculous salaries that FA Dmen were getting this summer, someone will pay Markov at least $5million for multi-years. He is just entering his prime and we need to re-sign this QB.

habsprospects 08-25-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSK (Post 6363376)
That would be nice to know who his Markov agent.

when he re-signed in August 2005, Don Meehan was his agent


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.