HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Whos the kid that will make it?? (fowards) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=283893)

NewHabsEra* 08-26-2006 02:35 AM

Whos the kid that will make it?? (fowards)
 
I think its fair to say there is only 1 spot avalaible for a rookie this year..

Which one will make it IYO and why?

Im going with Latendresse cause I think Habs plan to send Kostitsyn down in the minor to start the season with his good friend Grabovski.. Latendresse should play the max games allowed before a decision has to be made.. (10 if Im not wrong)..

MacHabs93 08-26-2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 6364362)
I think its fair to say there is only 1 spot avalaible for a rookie this year..

Which one will make it IYO and why?

Which spot ??

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson
Bégin - Bonk - Downie/Murray

In case of injuries I'd like to see Kostitsyn and Lapierre get shots. I'd also like to see Latendresse play 9 games to see how he does. If he can't keep up we could always send him back to JRs before he reaches his 10th game. It could also serve as motivation for him, to become better and stay with the team the next season...

But without injuries I really don't see any new rookies on the team... I'd rather Kostitsyn get top minutes with Grabovsky and Chipchura in Hamilton, then him play 4 minutes per game in Montreal. Lapierre however could benefit from those 5-6 minutes a game on the energy line, but I'm not sure he will be able to beat out Murray at camp.

NewHabsEra* 08-26-2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHabs93 (Post 6364370)
Which spot ??

The spare offensive foward will play more than you think... Some guys in our line-up are still not fully established.. If a guy like Latendresse or Kostitsyn shows better than some other guys, be sure he will play...

Nobak 08-26-2006 03:07 AM

I'll go with Kostitsyn, going on the hope that his play/ambition are better adapted to the NHL than AHL.

MacHabs93 08-26-2006 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 6364384)
The spare offensive foward will play more than you think... Some guys in our line-up are still not fully established.. If a guy like Latendresse or Kostitsyn shows better than some other guys, be sure he will play...

The only guy that could get bumbed by Kostitsyn is Perezhogin ... And I'm not sure he could do it very long ... Latendresse might start the season with Montreal, but I'd be VERY surprised if he played more then 10 games in the Pros. Surprised but happy :bow: :D

Mr. Hab 08-26-2006 05:00 AM

depending on injuries (which positions?)...,

I'd love to see Maxim Lapierre (real winner)...

I'd love to see Andrei Kostitsyn (all talent/skilled sniper)...

And then, it's...

Latendresse, Chipchura, Grabovski...
------- -----------------------------------

Souray44 08-26-2006 06:23 AM

I agree with MacHabs lineup on this one.

There isn't really a full-time spot up for grabs at this point but if I was to venture a guess as who may be playing the most this season out of the players provided I would have to go with Andrei Kostitsyn. He had flashes last year and I hope he can put it all together this year.

Blind Gardien 08-26-2006 06:39 AM

If Kostitsyn shows he belongs on the team during camp, then he's probably the best bet. If he doesn't make it, then I guess it's really up in the air. Somebody has to grab it. I don't think it will be Latendresse, though. He's not even signed yet... if he wants bonuses or a rookie max deal, well, that would be a little tough to justify for a 2nd round pick, but again, it will all depend on what he shows in camp. Generally speaking, if we're starting the season 100% healthy -- but without Bouillon -- I'd be more inclined to keep an extra defenseman than an extra forward. Or even go a man short and carry some extra cap room toward the deadline.

Whitesnake 08-26-2006 10:03 AM

Kostitsyn is the easier choice but I would really like Lapierre to make it somehow on the 4th. We need his grit, size and speed. This guy will be something when he makes it, in a specific role sure, but he will be a fan favorite and can't wait to see him with us.

Talent Analyst 08-26-2006 10:14 AM

Kostitsyn

HappyPappy 08-26-2006 10:16 AM

Latendresse easy, Kostsitsyn has to show he wants to be here and work hard which he hasn't done yet and Latendresse has.

Souffle 08-26-2006 10:22 AM

I have a feeling Chipchura will force his way onto the team in a regular bottom 6 role. But it's just a feeling, and Kostitsyn and Lapierre are more rational choices.

I'd be very surprised if Latendresse can dislodge someone on the top 6 and also surpass Perezhogin as the 7th forward. I also have doubts about his ability right now to withstand an entire NHL season.

Burnside_1 08-26-2006 10:23 AM

I went with Lapierre, the type of player he is would fit well into the team.

Carbo said that every young player should come into training camp thinking they can grab a spot if they put the effort in. It will be really interesting to see, because depending of how guys like Lapierre, Kots, Chipchura, Ferland and Latendresse perform, there might be some trades to make room for them.

anyone remembers BG saying that many trade will happen in the last days of training camp, when teams really know what they type of team they have?

But the two who are the most ready imo are Kots and Lapierre.

KaptainKourage* 08-26-2006 10:26 AM

None of them. Except if we trade Bonk, now Chipchura & Lapierre have a chance.

HEY DUDE ! Where's my car ?

Dr_Hook 08-26-2006 10:51 AM

I don't see any spots available for a rookie, exept for the 14th forward job. In that case, I'd think the guy best fit for that job would be Ferland. He's older and has nothing to gain by spending more time in the AHL I think; so to ride the pine, he'd be my pick.

Unless there are significant injuries to proeminent players, I don't see the point in keeping Kostitsyn to play a marginal role; it's been pointed out repeatedly that he lost developpment time in Russia by playing (actually, not playing) in a senior team at a young age. Plus, he has yet to prove he can dominate the AHL, what is exactly what I'd want him and Grabovsky to do for the 1st half of the season. If they keep improving and demonstrate they are ready for the big show, we'll find them a spot at that time.

The only guy I could see surprise is Latendresse. Because he cannot play in the AHL, we'll have to decide what is best for him: go back to juniors to try to embrace a leadership role and try to dominate even more, understanding there is a risk he's gonna lack motivation and maybe acquire some bad working habbits. Or, if he shines again in camp, keep him around for at least 9 games, play him on a 3rd line and see what he's got. If he's up to the task, we trade away a forward (Johnson ? Perez ?) to make room for him.

That's my plan as of now but a lot can still change (serious injuries, trades) between now and october the 6th :teach:

ChemiseBleuHonnete 08-26-2006 10:55 AM

I think that all of them but Chipchura have a good shot. Latendresse almost cracked the line-up last year, Grabovsky is a little bit older and he was great in russia and international tournaments, Kostitsyn already played a few games in the nhl, Ferland is a good checker who's ready for NHL action and Lapierre is another great checker but he's a little bit younger.

Marchy79 08-26-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hook (Post 6365181)
I don't see any spots available for a rookie, exept for the 14th forward job. In that case, I'd think the guy best fit for that job would be Ferland. He's older and has nothing to gain by spending more time in the AHL I think; so to ride the pine, he'd be my pick.

Unless there are significant injuries to proeminent players, I don't see the point in keeping Kostitsyn to play a marginal role; it's been pointed out repeatedly that he lost developpment time in Russia by playing (actually, not playing) in a senior team at a young age. Plus, he has yet to prove he can dominate the AHL, what is exactly what I'd want him and Grabovsky to do for the 1st half of the season. If they keep improving and demonstrate they are ready for the big show, we'll find them a sport at that time.

The only guy I could see surprise is Latendresse. Because he cannot play in the AHL, we'll have to decide what is best for him: go back to juniors to try to embrace a leadership role and try to dominate even more, understanding there is a risk he's gonna lack motivation and maybe acquire some bad working habbits. Or, if he shines again in camp, keep him around for at least 9 games, play him on a 3rd line and see what he's got. If he's up to the task, we trade away a forward (Johnson ? Perez ?) to make room for him.

That's my plan as of now but a lot can still change between now and october the 6th :teach:

Totally agree... Im having an interesting time trying to fit Perezhogin in the line up,,, Let alone a rookie... If its any of them... I also believe its Ferland... for the same reasoning (SP forward, at age where we can lose him, and @ this point, hes ready to be a hab grinder IMO...

Forwards are set IMO... :)

Kafka 08-26-2006 11:36 AM

I votes Kostitsyn, but on a second tought, I think Lapierre has the best chances to stick with the club at the beginning of the season for the following reasons:

1.We don't know if Koivu will be able to recover from his injury. Therefore, a center might be more usefull than a winger. Lapierre plays center, Kostitsyn doesn't.

2.Lapierre is a right-handed center, and currently, our roster has a number of zero RH center. If if can show any hability to win faceoffs in the NHL, Lapierre will stick with the club IMO.

Ferland might also stay with the club is Kostitsyn isn't showing a great improve only because he would fit better on a fourth line than Kostytsin. Therefore, Kostitsyn could be the first guy called up to replace an injuried forward (my pick: Ryder ;) ).

I don't remember the rule about waivers, but on this list, I think only Ferland needs to go through waivers to play with Hamilton. As for the others, one needs to dominate in the Q league, the other needs to play in a NA rink.

Munchausen 08-26-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave (Post 6365080)
I have a feeling Chipchura will force his way onto the team in a regular bottom 6 role. But it's just a feeling, and Kostitsyn and Lapierre are more rational choices.

I voted Kostitsyn because I liked what I saw of him in the NHL and he's at that crucial age when things normally start being put together for all those strong future NHL candidates.

But I could see Chipchura making it just as well. In fact, if it weren't for his inexperience as a pro, I'd say he's a lock. Chipchura is smart way beyond his age. He plays like a pro and does all the little things a coach loves to see from a rookie (which cannot be said about Latendresse). I'm not going to be surprised one bit if he makes the team over Kostitsyn.

And then you have lower profile guys like Ferland and Lapierre who would fit like a glove on the 4th line.

It's nice to have so many options, seems like this team's system has finally filled up again.

CareyClutch 08-26-2006 11:47 AM

none

mcphee 08-26-2006 11:59 AM

Right now, Koivu and Ryder are the forards that may have health issues. Grabovski and Kost seem like possibilities if need be. Grabs is just a wildass guess,he could be ready,need some seasoning or over his head, no idea, just a hunch. Kostitsyn may need a promotion and to play with NHL players and adjust to what it takes to be an NHL player. Provided he shows he's got a decent work ethic.

I think Chip could be closer than we think, but no harm in playing in Hamilton. Same with Lapierre. I hope Lapierre shows some progress because the team needs abit of nastiness.

HabuseMoi 08-26-2006 12:09 PM

Murray, Perez, Johnson, Bonk are not lock to make the lineup this year and could be replaced by rookies (not all of them of course).
Ribeiro could too but would be a bit unlikely since he signed a new contract, Carbo probably got plans for him.

Ryder and Koivu could also play some game in the stands because of injuries.

Even if there's only a spot on the fourth line they should bring the most nhl ready prospect and see if he can perform with limited game time, if he can they'll find him a place up in the two first lines moving someone not living up to the expectation.

sXe 08-26-2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philippe27 (Post 6365053)
Latendresse easy, Kostsitsyn has to show he wants to be here and work hard which he hasn't done yet and Latendresse has.

Kostitsyn played in the NHL while Latendresse never stepped on NHL ice. Kost is already "here" Latendresse is not even in sight yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Hook (Post 6365181)
I don't see any spots available for a rookie, exept for the 14th forward job. In that case, I'd think the guy best fit for that job would be Ferland. He's older and has nothing to gain by spending more time in the AHL I think; so to ride the pine, he'd be my pick.

The 14th spot is already taken by Downey, Ferland has more chances of taking the 13th spot than Downey imo. Also, Ferland can't go back to the AHL.

Bronn 08-26-2006 12:16 PM

I am torn between Kost and Lats but i think that i will vote for Kost since my concerns about him are less important than Lats (not by much).It's still a though decision for me.Chipchura could also be a wild card

Let's just hope that they all make it :yo:

SOLR 08-26-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philippe27 (Post 6365053)
Latendresse easy, Kostsitsyn has to show he wants to be here and work hard which he hasn't done yet and Latendresse has.

How did Lats show it more than Kost? Sorry but I disagree on this. The only reason Kost didnt stay with the team last year imo is a management issue, not a desire, talent, intensity issue.

If Ryder is still hurt after 1-2 months, they will probably decide to go to surgery and Kost will get the spot. Players will get hurt, I think we will see some Grabovski here and there as the call up center starting around january. Lats, with his concussions I think lost all of his chances to force any hands. I'm guessing they will play safe now with him and not allow him to play at the pro, more risky level for this year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.