HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Garrioch rumor-Ottawa interested in Axelsson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=283903)

RangerBoy 08-26-2006 06:49 AM

Garrioch rumor-Ottawa interested in Axelsson

Quote:

While Senators GM John Muckler has most of his roster in place as the Sept. 14 start of camp draws closer, sources say it's anything but completely set and he and could be making a pitch for Boston Bruins left winger P.J. Axelsson
In the next paragraph,Garrioch writes it's doubtful Boston will trade Axelsson.Then he writes Ottawa is willing to move a defenseman in the deal

Quote:

It's believed the Senators are willing to offer a defenceman (possibly Anton Volchenkov and his $1.3 million salary) in return because Ottawa may not have room for the eight blueliners they've signed
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senato...77397-sun.html

Volchenkov makes too much $$$ to be a #5 defenseman in a salary cap world

bruins_hockey* 08-26-2006 07:01 AM

don't trade pj

clefty 08-26-2006 07:04 AM

I'll bet most teams are interested in PJ Stock*. Most of all the Boston Bruins.

*EDIT: Meant Axelsson obviously, but this typo is too funny to fix.

Safir* 08-26-2006 07:10 AM

It's been rumored for quite some time that Axelsson could move to the Sens and Volchenkov's name popped up in many trade proposals. The Swede makes ~.5 million more than the Russian, also count in (prospect) Kaigorodovs salary. How in the world are we supposed to stay beneath the salary cap Mr. Garrioch ?

Newly signed Dean McAmmond can play LW.

Marc the Habs Fan 08-26-2006 07:13 AM

That would be an odd trade for both teams. Seems like Volchenkov should bring a bit more in return but at the same time the Bruins can't really afford to trade Axelsson with their lack of depth on the bottom 2 lines (sorry Bruins fans, but at this point it's the truth until the K's show they are ready for the NHL).

Yzerplan 08-26-2006 07:44 AM

The Bruins dealing Axelsson would really make no sense. :shakehead

shawnmullin 08-26-2006 08:05 AM

I don't get all of these rumours of Volchenkov moving. He's young, he's not making that much money, he hits like a bugger and he is solid positionally. Not the fastest guy sure, but he's very solid back there. I'll take him in Edmonton.

Methot Man 08-26-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnmullin (Post 6364692)
I don't get all of these rumours of Volchenkov moving. He's young, he's not making that much money, he hits like a bugger and he is solid positionally. Not the fastest guy sure, but he's very solid back there. I'll take him in Edmonton.

What would you offer for Volchenkov?

shawnmullin 08-26-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable (Post 6364694)
What would you offer for Volchenkov?

Honestly I've never found what a fan of a team would offer to be a very good indicator of a player's actual value.

We all tend to overrate our own so it's hard to say.

ranold26 08-26-2006 08:11 AM

This makes little to no sense for the Bruins, as we're deep at D and already short on LW.
That said..if this was a 3-team deal, it would make sense.
To Ott: Axelsson
To Edm: Volchenkov
To Bos: Torres

shibster 08-26-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranold26 (Post 6364699)
This makes little to no sense for the Bruins, as we're deep at D and already short on LW.

That makes no sense. Why doesn't Ottawa just trade straight up for Torres, with that reasoning?

ranold26 08-26-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibster (Post 6364803)
That makes no sense. Why doesn't Ottawa just trade straight up for Torres, with that reasoning?

Ummm...because OTT wants AXELSSON....NOT Torres!:dunce:

Methot Man 08-26-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibster (Post 6364803)

Exactly...and Torres is $1 million cheaper then Axelsson.

robert terwilliger 08-26-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable (Post 6364810)
Exactly...and Torres is $1 million cheaper then Axelsson.

that'll buy a lot of jello pudding! :sarcasm:

ottawa wants axe? good for them. the bruins wanted their gm in a reasonable amount of time. funny how things work out.

ranold26 08-26-2006 08:58 AM

People obviously don't read articles before spouting away.
Is Torres Swedish? Has he played on a line with Alfie in the Olympics? Is he best-friends with Alfie too?
:shakehead

Meanashell11 08-26-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranold26 (Post 6364699)

Not a chance. Torres is not available unless in a package for a #1 D-man.

Spezza 08-26-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the max (Post 6364814)
that'll buy a lot of jello pudding! :sarcasm:

ottawa wants axe? good for them. the bruins wanted their gm in a reasonable amount of time. funny how things work out.

You do realise that pinching our Assistant GM is the main reason you got Chara?

I can't believe you lot are still moaning about this....

Mr Sakich 08-26-2006 09:46 AM

maybe a 3 way deal could be possible

to boston - volchenkov + vermette
to edmonton - stuart
to ott - torres

NyQuil 08-26-2006 10:06 AM

Garrioch is recycling old rumours as usual.

If Ottawa really wanted Axelsson, I doubt they would have acquired McAmmond.

NyQuil 08-26-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sakich (Post 6364954)
maybe a 3 way deal could be possible

to boston - volchenkov + vermette
to edmonton - stuart
to ott - torres

Ottawa is not going to give up two young and cheap roster players for that.

Vermette potted 21 goals while playing on the 4th line and no PP time. Let's see how he does this season with likely a more expanded offensive role.

robert terwilliger 08-26-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spezza (Post 6364863)
You do realise that pinching our Assistant GM is the main reason you got Chara?

I can't believe you lot are still moaning about this....

actually, i'm thinking that 7.5 million dollars a season is the main reason they got chara.

Mr Sakich 08-26-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 6365016)

Vermette potted 21 goals while playing on the 4th line and no PP time. Let's see how he does this season with likely a more expanded offensive role.

I have always considered Torres the ideal guy for ott. You have so many slick playmakers and a lack of frightening grit on your top 2 lines. Torres is a former 5th overall draft pick. scored 20+ goals in his first two seasons, and has allready physically dominated deep in the playoffs. He turned around the Shark series with a hit and he was the difference in our beating the ducks. He brings an element that you guys do not have right now.

IMO, a perfect addition to a potentially dominant team.

NYR94 08-26-2006 11:07 AM

This trade makes no sense for either team. Ottawa already has more than enough defensemen, and why would Ottawa want another checking line winger when they have one of the best 3rd lines in the league? Not to mention the salary cap situation of Ottawa. Garrioch is such a waste.

Homesick 08-26-2006 11:08 AM

I wouldn't let Torres for Volchenkov straight up :dunno:.

discostu 08-26-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 6365016)

Agreed. Volchenkov looks to be Garrioch's new whipping boy. This trade doesn't make too much sense, neither does any rumour that sees us trade a defenceman for a forward at this point, with the signing of Kaygorodov. We have a full set of forwards. Specifically, we have 9 guys that should be on the top 3 lines, so, bringing in a guy like Axelsson sees someone demoted.

Plus, I still don't see the crisis that some people do in having 6 solid defenceman. He's affordable, and still a quality defender. There is no rush to move him, at least at this stage.