HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rivet as a Power Play Forward??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=28404)

Craig52Rivet 11-15-2003 10:53 AM

Rivet as a Power Play Forward???

CBC is reporting that as part of Julien's shakeup of the lines, Craig Rivet has been seeing time on the power play as a forward and may be used there tonight against the Sens. For a PP that's in the bottom 5 of the league, I'm not sure that I like the idea of trying to improve things by putting 3 defensemen on the ice when you're up a man, but I like the message that it should send -- we need people in front of the net, NOW, and if the forwards aren't going to do it, they can sit and watch from the bench while a grittier but less offensively skilled guy like CR gets power play time.

What do you guys think of Julien's move, if he does in fact plan on using Rivet as a forward?

SuperUnknown 11-15-2003 11:00 AM

I just posted on this topic in another thread.

Note that the Sens put Chara in front of the net too during their PP and it works alright.

Breenger 11-15-2003 04:15 PM

Bullis Scores!!!!!

Brisebois 11-15-2003 09:41 PM

I think Rivet was used as an offenseman waaay back in like '97 or something and didn't do too well, but let's see what he can do now.

I wonder if he has the hand-eye coordination to tip shots in the net. Then again, he'd really be there to create more traffic and jump on rebounds.

How about putting Markov as a forward on the PP? that was his natural position before he came to Canada, the position where he dominated. Or if you really want a power forward, how about Souray?

I don't know. We'll see how it goes. All I want to see right now is the Canadiens winning some games. Whatever it takes.

8b 11-17-2003 12:51 AM

I don't know why they dont try Markov instead, he have the skills to be a good winger.

SuperUnknown 11-17-2003 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
I think Rivet was used as an offenseman waaay back in like '97 or something and didn't do too well, but let's see what he can do now.

I wonder if he has the hand-eye coordination to tip shots in the net. Then again, he'd really be there to create more traffic and jump on rebounds.

How about putting Markov as a forward on the PP? that was his natural position before he came to Canada, the position where he dominated. Or if you really want a power forward, how about Souray?

I don't know. We'll see how it goes. All I want to see right now is the Canadiens winning some games. Whatever it takes.

Rivet was used on offense as a "left-wing lock" where he'd actually stay back all the time and acted like a 3rd defenseman.