HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Offensive Lines... Not Set IMO (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=284181)

nyhabsfan 08-27-2006 04:45 PM

Offensive Lines... Not Set IMO

Even though we haven't even had rookie camp yet, forget training camp, I am getting revved up for another year! My African Grey is even saying "GO HABS GO" and "HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES" :biglaugh:

As you know, lines that start the season, rarely stay static throughout the year, depending upon injuries, chenistry, line matchups etc.

So here are a few line combo that I would like to see for next year, starting with the the basic set that most of us seem to see.

Before camp

Higgins--Koivu--Ryder

Higgins was one of the hottest player after the break and with Ryder's back being better, let's hoipe he is as aggresive as he was in his first year when he would go for the net with gusto.

Samsanov--Ribero--Kovalev

I am not convinced that this is the lineup, not that we need to bash Ribero AGAIN, but Kovalev and Samasnov's speed I don't know if Ribero can keep up. All three are better setup than finishers, so this will be interesting to watch.

Perezhogin--Plekanec---Johnson

I can see Perezhogin switching with Samanov or even Higgins at some point in the season if Higgins numbers fall. Be interesting to see what kind of chemistry that this line has.

Begin--Bonk--Murray/Downey

I can't see Downey and Murray being on the ice together, but I can see Bonk moving up with inspired play.

I think ONE rookie will suprise us and make the team, Koysitsn or Lapparrie.

Other combos that look good to me

Samsanov--Koivu---Kovalev
Higgins--Ribero--Ryder
Perezhogin--Plekanec--Kosistyn (love to see this line for 10 games)
Begin--Bonk--Johnson

Perezhogin--Koviu--Kovalev
(looked great last year, before Jullien killed Perezhogin's confidence)
Higgins---Plekanec--Ryder
Samanov--Bonk--Johnson
Begin--Ribero---Kosistyn

No matter what... I think by the end of the year, the lineup will change a few times as the season goes on. The main question is can we stay healthy and get hot over the final 10 games of the season.

Dwight 08-27-2006 05:04 PM

Obviously the lines will change. Gainey usually makes a good move at the deadline and sometimes looks into the waivers to pick someone up.

PS: You spelled Kostitsyn's name wrong twice in 2 different ways.

nyhabsfan 08-27-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad (Post 6371058)
Obviously the lines will change. Gainey usually makes a good move at the deadline and sometimes looks into the waivers to pick someone up.

PS: You spelled Kostitsyn's name wrong twice in 2 different ways.

Thanks for the spelling lesson. :shakehead

Why would Gainey pick up someone from the waiver wire when we already have too many forwards...a defenseman I could see, but not a forward.

Poochie_D 08-27-2006 05:55 PM

I'll try and predict our line-up going into the playoffs... I say it looks like this:

Higgins - Koivu - Johnson
Samsonov - Plekenec - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Riberio - Ryder
Kostitsyn - Bonk - Begin

KaptainKourage* 08-27-2006 06:02 PM

As much as I love Plek i think he is not ready for the 2nd line yet, well not before mid-january at least.

Kostitsyn & Perezhogin have both AMAZING offensive upside.. we're stupid to dont use it ! No spot for Kostitsyn, and I rather see him in Hamilton on the 1st line with Grabovsky than with Bonk on our 4th line so let keep him in Hamilton and if one of our top 6 players get hurt he will get the call first.

Higgins / Koivu chemistry good but Perezhogin / Koivu were pretty good togheter at start of season last year (Zhogin got 9 pts in 9 games :yo: ) ... What about we stick all of them togheter ??

I like the 2nd line Carbo talk about « Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev » im pretty sure Sariko would fit well togheter. 1 sniper and a half + 1 playmaker and a half ( I'd consider Samsonov 50% scorer 50% playmaker).

Ryder ? Ryder use to play on the left wing IIRC. He would fit well with Plekanec & Johnson on the third line. Yes. On the third line ! Ryder just doesnt have enough skill to be on a winning team top 6 forwards. Let make it clear, i love Ryder, he's our best scorer, but that about all. Lack of speed, lack of vision... lack of everything ! Plus, he suck defensivly so with Johnson & Plekanec it would click IMO. Johnson & Plekanec are two way player with good playmaking ability and Ryder he's a very good finisher. Ryder = 3rd line + PP, that it.

Higgins - Koivu - Perezhogin
Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Ryder - Plekanec - Johnson
Bonk - Bégin - Murray / Downey / Lapierre

Ryder on a 3rd line + PP = The answer. :clap:

NewHabsEra* 08-27-2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan (Post 6370982)
Even though we haven't even had rookie camp yet, forget training camp, I am getting revved up for another year! My African Grey is even saying "GO HABS GO" and "HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES" :biglaugh:

As you know, lines that start the season, rarely stay static throughout the year, depending upon injuries, chenistry, line matchups etc.

So here are a few line combo that I would like to see for next year, starting with the the basic set that most of us seem to see.

Before camp

Higgins--Koivu--Ryder

Higgins was one of the hottest player after the break and with Ryder's back being better, let's hoipe he is as aggresive as he was in his first year when he would go for the net with gusto.

I am not convinced that this is the lineup, not that we need to bash Ribero AGAIN, but Kovalev and Samasnov's speed I don't know if Ribero can keep up. All three are better setup than finishers, so this will be interesting to watch.

I can see Perezhogin switching with Samanov or even Higgins at some point in the season if Higgins numbers fall. Be interesting to see what kind of chemistry that this line has.

I can't see Downey and Murray being on the ice together, but I can see Bonk moving up with inspired play.

Higgins--Ribero--Ryder
Begin--Bonk--Johnson

Samanov--Bonk--Johnson
Begin--Ribero---Kosistyn

No matter what... I think by the end of the year, the lineup will change a few times as the season goes on. The main question is can we stay healthy and get hot over the final 10 games of the season.

You can juggle with the lines as much as you can, there is a ton of possibilities.. Thats what is so exciting about the next season.. Carbo wont be limited unlike the former coatchs..

NewHabsEra* 08-27-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D (Post 6371257)
I'll try and predict our line-up going into the playoffs... I say it looks like this:

Kostitsyn - Bonk - Begin

You have better chances to win the 6/49

Dr_Hook 08-27-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptainKourage (Post 6371286)

Ryder on a 3rd line + PP = The answer.

It's not the 1st time I hear that idea about Ryder and I have to say it has grown on me. I like your lines (especially the Koivu line: 1st time I see that assemblage and I like it !:clap: ) but I'm not convinced Kovy-Ribs-Samsonov is a good fit; I know Carbo and Gainey already stated that that was the line the envisioned but I can't see it working out, just too much finesse and too many puck lovers. The second we signed Samsonov, I thought of putting him with Koivu and Higgins; I know one of them would have to play off his usual wing but I JUST LOVE THAT LINE !!! Seems so natural ! But when I unite those 3, I can't come up with anything decent for the other 2 lines...

Higgins - Koivu - Samsonov :handclap:
[Perezogin ?/ Kost ?/ Lats ?]? - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Johnson - Pleks - Ryder

The Koivu and Pleks line work but I don't know about Ribs'...

But really, the more I look at yours, the more I like them !! :clap:

Sthabs 08-27-2006 08:05 PM

Well the offensive lines can t really be set if we have not tried them, can they ? :sarcasm:

nyhabsfan 08-27-2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sthabs (Post 6371858)
Well the offensive lines can t really be set if we have not tried them, can they ? :sarcasm:

Well of course not, it's just a fun thread to predict and see if there are some lines fans would like to see next season. IT beats all those crazy trade proposals we get. :shakehead

As for what a few posters have said, I just don't see Ryder off the 1st two lines, he's the best pure scorer we have. However, I would love to roll 3, possible 4 offensive lines.

Here is a scenerio to roll 4 offensive lines.

Perezhogin--Koivu---Kovalev
Higgins--Ribero---Ryder
Samsanov--Plekanec--Kostitsyn
Begin---Bonk---Johnson

which line do you check with your first checking line...and your second, if you have one? :dunno: :help:

Sthabs 08-27-2006 08:46 PM

It was just a joke :P

But there s some truth in it, because of course we haven t seen them play yet, I think we re gonna have a lot of surprises ! Ryder could come back in a better shape than ever, Ribeiro will hopefully move his *** this year, Bonk hopefully will play like at the end of last season, Perez and Kost could explode, etc etc...
There s a lot of lines that could work, and yours are valid too, i love the idea of bringing back that Pz K K
In my perfect world young guys like Perez , kost, Lats, etc should play with those 2, then have a 2nd line of Samsonov (60%play40%score), with a real 2nd center, and Ryder the sniper
Then a 3d line of 2 way players with offensive upside(Plek, Johnson etc)
and the 4 th will be the motivation line as oine said lead by steve spark plug begin

I also don t really believe in the Samsonov Ribeiro Kovalev line 2 because that s probably 3out of our 4 best playmakers in the same line, I think it was just Carbo trying to motivate Ribs. But then again i can t say until i have seen them playing

I also would love to have 3 offensive lines,

But to answer your question, no i don t really have one combinaison because as i said, why ? cause i think there s 2 much that could work for good reasons here and there, but we have to try em..

Hackett 08-27-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan (Post 6370982)

Before camp

Higgins--Koivu--Ryder

Higgins--Ribero--Ryder
Begin--Bonk--Johnson

Samanov--Bonk--Johnson
Begin--Ribero---Kosistyn

The only player higgins really took of with was Koivu. Therefore, I dont see higgins starting the season on any other line.

I think pleks and perez might have been our best duo in the playoffs so I cant see them being broken up either.

then you can start adding the rest of the players where you see fit.

But yeah, lines will always be changing throughout the year

paddy 08-27-2006 09:03 PM

I have a feeling Samsonov and Kovalev will not click at all this year. You'll probably get a better line with Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev. My prediction, but we'll see come October.

nyhabsfan 08-27-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackett (Post 6372092)
The only player higgins really took of with was Koivu. Therefore, I dont see higgins starting the season on any other line.

I think pleks and perez might have been our best duo in the playoffs so I cant see them being broken up either.

then you can start adding the rest of the players where you see fit.

But yeah, lines will always be changing throughout the year

okay, let's take your logic for a moment, which I agree with.

Higgins---Koivu----Ryder
Perezhogin--Plekanec---Kostitsyn
Samanov--Ribero---Johnson
Begin---Bonk---Kovalev

You may think that Kovelev on the so called 4th line is crazy, but if teams focus on him, we have 3 other lines can do damage. IF you focus on the other lines, I think Bonk has more upside than he's shown and with Begin in front of the net, Kovalev will have a ton of room.

habsfan44 08-27-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

As much as I love Plek i think he is not ready for the 2nd line yet, well not before mid-january at least.

Kostitsyn & Perezhogin have both AMAZING offensive upside.. we're stupid to dont use it ! No spot for Kostitsyn, and I rather see him in Hamilton on the 1st line with Grabovsky than with Bonk on our 4th line so let keep him in Hamilton and if one of our top 6 players get hurt he will get the call first.

Higgins / Koivu chemistry good but Perezhogin / Koivu were pretty good togheter at start of season last year (Zhogin got 9 pts in 9 games :yo: ) ... What about we stick all of them togheter ??

I like the 2nd line Carbo talk about « Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev » im pretty sure Sariko would fit well togheter. 1 sniper and a half + 1 playmaker and a half ( I'd consider Samsonov 50% scorer 50% playmaker).

Ryder ? Ryder use to play on the left wing IIRC. He would fit well with Plekanec & Johnson on the third line. Yes. On the third line ! Ryder just doesnt have enough skill to be on a winning team top 6 forwards. Let make it clear, i love Ryder, he's our best scorer, but that about all. Lack of speed, lack of vision... lack of everything ! Plus, he suck defensivly so with Johnson & Plekanec it would click IMO. Johnson & Plekanec are two way player with good playmaking ability and Ryder he's a very good finisher. Ryder = 3rd line + PP, that it.

saying it often does not mean that it's right .

Talent Analyst 08-27-2006 11:01 PM

Higgins-Koivu-Perezhogin
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Johnson-Plekanek-Ryder
Begin-Bonk-Murray

GaineysRightHandMan 08-27-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

I agree with a lot of your points, except you still got ribs on line 2. I love Kovalev and Samsonov together, but not with Ribs. I think it will become extremely clear that we don't want a puckhandler centre on this line. Pleks is definately ready for line 2. And Ryder will only be so much better than last year.

I'm changing my mind mid-post.
Here it is folks - the 2nd best line in the NHL next year:
Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder Can anyone see a healthy Ryder potting 50 goals on this line with 2 great playmakers? Ryder will Samsonov is a must.

Let the other lines fall where they may - this will be the killer line and Kovalev will be the special weapon on line 1-B

Blades 0f Steel 08-27-2006 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan (Post 6372140)
okay, let's take your logic for a moment, which I agree with.

Higgins---Koivu----Ryder
Perezhogin--Plekanec---Kostitsyn
Samanov--Ribero---Johnson
Begin---Bonk---Kovalev

Oh dear lord you've got an 8 Million dollar 4th line and a 3 Mil 2nd...

So our biggest star gets, what, 10 mins a night?...

Blades 0f Steel 08-27-2006 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talent Analyst (Post 6372643)
Higgins-Koivu-Perezhogin
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Johnson-Plekanek-Ryder
Begin-Bonk-Murray

I would have thought you of all guys would put Latendresse in the line-up.:dunno:

nyhabsfan 08-28-2006 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladesofSteel (Post 6372781)
Oh dear lord you've got an 8 Million dollar 4th line and a 3 Mil 2nd...

So our biggest star gets, what, 10 mins a night?...

you don't setup your line by $$$, it's production that counts. I would roll 4 lines, Buffalo showed how effective it was during last season. Besides, Kovalev would be on the 1t team PP anyways.

SOLR 08-28-2006 07:37 AM

January 2007

*fingers crossed*

Higgins - Koivu - Kost
Samsonov - Grabo - Kovalev
Ryder - Pleck - Perezhogin
Bonk - Begin - Johnson

1st PP

Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev
Markov Kost
(ouch)
2nd PP

Samsonov - Grabo - Perezhogin
Streit - Rivet

Blades 0f Steel 08-28-2006 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyhabsfan (Post 6373471)
you don't setup your line by $$$, it's production that counts.

And Kovalev is the one that's counted on to produce. So if he's on the 1st PP he gets 15-20 mins per game then. Not nearly enough for your best player, wouldn't you say?

DieHardHabs 08-28-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D (Post 6371257)

Kostitsyn - Bonk - Begin

Looks good for half way thru the yr... but i hope to god thats not our lines going into playoffs, think we need a lil more to make a good strong push...

hab 08-28-2006 09:28 AM

higgins koivu kovalev- true all around no.1 line

after that I am up in the air... bonk and johnson could make a good 3rd line duo, surprised nobody has that in there lines.

just a guess,

sampsonov robiero ryder
plekanek bonk johnson
begin murray perezhogin

I like that 3rd line. Two way, good size, and actually gives bonk some offensive players to work with. just a thought:)

THEREW 08-28-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hab (Post 6373978)
higgins koivu kovalev- true all around no.1 line

after that I am up in the air... bonk and johnson could make a good 3rd line duo, surprised nobody has that in there lines.

just a guess,

sampsonov robiero ryder
plekanek bonk johnson
begin murray perezhogin

I like that 3rd line. Two way, good size, and actually gives bonk some offensive players to work with. just a thought:)

switch johnson with perezhogin...spell Samsonov and Ribeiro right and it looks good