HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: french lessons in toronto (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=284460)

e-e 08-28-2006 09:00 PM

OT: french lessons in toronto

i just returned from my trip in newfoundland. i drove through newfoundland, nova scotia, new brunswick, quebec and ontario. i decided i must learn french. at least basic. i'm a hab fan and i can't understand simple sentence.

i live in toronto and here's my question.
what's the best way (except having a french girlfriend ;) )to learn french? what would you recommend me guys? college? private lessons? any other ideas?

merci beaucoup :D

Masao 08-28-2006 09:02 PM

Get a french girlfriend...

Le Tricolore 08-28-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-e (Post 6377926)
i just returned from my trip in newfoundland. i drove through newfoundland, nova scotia, new brunswick, quebec and ontario. i decided i must learn french. at least basic. i'm a hab fan and i can't understand simple sentence.

what's the best way (except having a french girlfriend ;) )to learn french? what would you recommend me guys? college? private lessons? any other ideas?

Honestly, watching French TV is a good way of picking things up. I learned it in school, so I don't know what else to say. Lessons wouldn't be a bad idea.

e-e 08-28-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 6377936)
Honestly, watching French TV is a good way of picking things up. I learned it in school, so I don't know what else to say. Lessons wouldn't be a bad idea.

well....i've been watching rds for 6 years now...honestly...if i didn't watch it i'd have no idea what's goin' on....i just wanna add that my english ain't the best one too...at least i understand:D

Habsfunk 08-28-2006 09:10 PM

The Alliance Francaise offers a variety of courses at all levels. They're located at Spadina and Bloor.

e-e 08-28-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk (Post 6377992)
The Alliance Francaise offers a variety of courses at all levels. They're located at Spadina and Bloor.

that's kind of advice i was looking for...thanks...

montreal 08-28-2006 09:58 PM

If you have free time and want to pick up some words here and there, what I did was buy a French-English pocket dictonary, then I would print out hockey articles from rds and take them to work where I would translate them from French to English. At first it took a long time (but I had a very, very boring job and needed 8 hours to kill) but after a couple times I started to be able to read through some articles without any help. The problem is when I hit slang or quotes from people.

That said I did not know any French other then the very very basics and never learned it in school or was ever around it. I did have some help from a friend in Quebec over the net she helped me get used to using French, that said I still stink at it but now at least I can read it ok when before I could barely read it at all. I still want to learn how to speak it better since I've only worked on reading it.

After that I want to learn Russian but that will take some time.

HABitual 08-28-2006 10:07 PM

Go to school :dunno:

That's where I learned most of the French that I know.

frederixx 08-28-2006 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-e (Post 6377926)

you don't need to have a french speaking girlfriend, but you could always go on a french dating site (ala reseaucontact) and start chatting up with people. add 2-3 people on your msn, chat with them on a regular basis, then, when you get more confident, get to the next step... the phone.

you could always do the same with a Habs fan...

Le Tricolore 08-28-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederixx (Post 6378419)
you don't need to have a french speaking girlfriend, but you could always go on a french dating site (ala reseaucontact) and start chatting up with people. add 2-3 people on your msn, chat with them on a regular basis, then, when you get more confident, get to the next step... the phone.

you could always do the same with a Habs fan...

I think he's coming onto you!

Blind Gardien 08-28-2006 10:29 PM

I expect all the local community colleges have continuing education french courses, probably not super-expensive. (Centennial, Seneca, George Brown, etc). It also kind of depends on what kind of learner you are.

Me, I don't think I can pick up languages without having things written on paper, so the grammar lessons, the vocab, etc is crucial. Then watching TV is icing on the cake on top of that for some practical exposure (after all, you MUST subscribe to RDS anyway!). Luckily, I had french all the way through high school to get those fundamentals.

Other people can pick things up just fine from immersion, just the TV and girlfriend. Never worked for me, though. (I still don't speak my wife's language, for e.g., not for lack of her shouting it at me constantly. :D ).