HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goalie equipment question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=284863)

Nuclear 08-30-2006 12:05 AM

Goalie equipment question

Im looking to buy used goalie equipment to practice with some friends.

Any advice for buying goalie gear... specifically used goalie gear?

Can you use any type of hockey skate, or do they have specific goalie skates?

What are the best brands out there?

Gino 14 08-30-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear (Post 6387158)
Im looking to buy used goalie equipment to practice with some friends.

Any advice for buying goalie gear... specifically used goalie gear?

Can you use any type of hockey skate, or do they have specific goalie skates?

What are the best brands out there?

Think ebay. Figure out what you want size wise and go shopping. Great way to pick up gear at a price that won't kill your wallet and make you regret the move. As for skates, go goalie. They have the skates for a reason. The cowling gives you added protection, they are more comfortable to stand on for long periods of time and allow for better hold when you are spread out. They feel strange when you start out but spend some time with them and you won't regret the choice.

VisionQuest* 08-30-2006 11:30 AM

this is an extremely loose, open. vague question.
Goaltending is the most technically specific position in sports when it comes to equipment.

First things first though, do NOT skip on protection for your head or for your chest and arms.
i would always recommend goalie skates to player skates.

are you doing this for fun? Just to screw around? Or is this something you're really considering getting into after youre done practicing with friends?

If you're pretty serious about it, I would borrow gear, play a couple of times, and then invest in good gear. It makes a world of difference.

Nuclear 08-30-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 and 14 (Post 6389343)
this is an extremely loose, open. vague question.
Goaltending is the most technically specific position in sports when it comes to equipment.

First things first though, do NOT skip on protection for your head or for your chest and arms.
i would always recommend goalie skates to player skates.

are you doing this for fun? Just to screw around? Or is this something you're really considering getting into after youre done practicing with friends?

If you're pretty serious about it, I would borrow gear, play a couple of times, and then invest in good gear. It makes a world of difference.

I usually play goal for street hockey and found out Im pretty good. Im at college right now, and Im looking to try out for beerleague or club ice hockey. I think I skate well enough to get by.

greech 08-30-2006 04:56 PM

You talk about 'skating good enough to get by (in goal).' Most people don't realize that goaltenders need to be the best skaters on the ice. You need to be able to move quickly to the ever changing game. I encourage you to try out the position, I played for years and loved it, but don't forget working on your skating is as important as working on your butterfly.

Malefic74 08-30-2006 05:40 PM

As far as brand names go it's a very personal decision. I've been tending for 25 years now and I've tried pretty much all the big brands out there. I have often had conversations with other goalies like me and we all have our favorites. Don't feel you need to have every piece of gear be one brand name.

As far as they go all the major brands usually have varying levels for their gear. Itech for instance goes from their 11.8 Series (Pro Models), to their 10.8 (Serious Player), to their 4.8 (Part-Timer). The difference being that the guys wearing 4.8 gear aren't facing 98 MPH slap shots 5 times a week and don't need to pay for the extra protection required for it.

Goal skates are a must; beg, borrow or steal some, but wear them or stay off the ice until you do.

sc37 08-30-2006 08:43 PM

Check out some goalie forums like goalieboard.com or goaliestore.com. There are trading sections for selling, buying, trading gear. Good time to look now since people probably be trying to clear out stuff before the new season...and maybe looking for cash to get new stuff. Lotta info on those boards too for noobs. Or if you got a little more money to spend, you can buy a package of new gear...saw some on discounthockey.com for a reasonable price...or of course eBay, just keep looking and be patient.

But yeah, go for goalie skates, don't want a broken foot/toe from wearing normal skates, plus kinda hard to bend withthe tendon guard and higher ankles on the normal skates so butterflying might be a prob.