HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Habs the most boring team ever? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=28540)

Psycho Papa Joe 11-16-2003 03:02 AM

Habs the most boring team ever?

First the good news. The Habs are only allowing 2.15 goals against per game behind an improved commitment to defense and very good goaltending from Garon and Theo. The bad news is that that achievement has had an enormous expense. The Habs are only scoring 1.93 goals per game. Hab games have barely over 4 goals per game, making for one grim and boring product. The total goals per game involved in Hab games must be in line to break some sort of modern day record for overall futility. Even the Devils, Wild, Ducks ect are playing much more exciting hockey.

Freudian 11-16-2003 03:54 AM

As boring as a defensive strategy is, you can't blame teams with not the strongest teams to try to win.

Montreal only has to focus on keeping their fans happy, and winning boring games do that much more than losing open games.

markov` 11-16-2003 03:57 AM

Habs' game are boring, I agree.

Most boring team ever? Totally disagree.

Just watch the overtime between the Habs and the Jackets...what an overtime it was!

Bud The Spud* 11-16-2003 04:15 AM

I don't think they are the most boring team ever. Right now I am just happy they won last night. We need wins and if boring hockey is what allows us to win, then I'll accept it. With the big saves Theo was making last night, it wasn't boring for me to watch.

Ghost of Dale Hunter 11-16-2003 04:57 AM

I gotta say the homwe and home between the Sabres and Canadians last week was ....yawn....awful.

Steve L* 11-16-2003 05:07 AM

The most boring team sure has to be NJ, depiste being the champions, even their own fans dont want to watch them.

My local TV even has to apologise for having to show Devils games.

TelperiŽn 11-16-2003 07:39 AM

Nah, I like the Habs... even if they are a yawner at times.

The most boring team has to be the Devils. :teach:

incawg 11-16-2003 07:47 AM

I find the wild a lot more boring to watch than the habs.

FoU[BraC] 11-16-2003 07:49 AM

i.m a habs fans.. and i dont think it's borring.

Habs vs NJ.. That's boring!

King of Kelvington 11-16-2003 07:54 AM

This thread is boring... :joker:

Munchausen 11-16-2003 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian
As boring as a defensive strategy is, you can't blame teams with not the strongest teams to try to win.

Montreal only has to focus on keeping their fans happy, and winning boring games do that much more than losing open games.

Completely disagree.

I'm a fan and can't stand that boring team anymore. I watch the games to be entertained and see exciting hockey, no matter the outcome. If I feel the team I'm cheering for gave it all on the ice and put up a show out there, I couldn't care less if we win in the end (OK I do care, but it'll never be more important than the quality of the product).

I don't get people that are watching all the games of their favorite team yet all that matters for them is the win. Can't you just look up the scores in the paper the next morning?

But that being said, I'm not sure we can blame the system with the Habs as much as some players themselves. Most of the aging veterans on that team are either soft, slow, small, lazy, one-dimentional or flat out finnished. They rarely put more than a 30 minute effort out there, and even more rarely show the intensity needed to keep the fans in the crowd awake. Players like Audette, Dackell, Sundstrom, Perreault and Juneau are a pain to watch as they're as exciting and intense as doing your taxes. Meanwhile, premium (and exciting) prospects like Plekanec, Higgins, Komisarek, Gratton and Balej are all spilling their guts night in night out in the AHL and nobody is thinking calling some of them up. The only thing I can conclude from this is that I'm in a minority, and the fans in Montreal do seem to care more about victory than good hockey, otherwise we would see a *true* youth movement that might not bring more victories right away, but would at least give us entertaining hockey.

So to sum up my answer to your post, I'll never be a happy fan as long as they don't put an exciting team on the ice (gritty, fast, skilled). What good is it if you can barely stay awake to see your team win?

edit - typo

kira 11-16-2003 02:39 PM

I'd still rather watch a "boring" hockey game than say, golf or tennis or baseball or basketball.

Marshall 11-16-2003 02:49 PM

I'll take a "boring" win for the team that I cheer for over an "exciting" loss every single time.

Reign Nateo 11-16-2003 02:51 PM

You Habs fans really can't see past the East! The Wild play by far the most boring hockey in the NHL and perhaps all time.

NJ_Devil_Boy 11-16-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I hope NJ keeps on boring their way to championships. I couldn't care any less.

:yo: :handclap:

kira 11-16-2003 03:12 PM

You got to admit, a "Boring" hockey game still beats 99.9% of the garbage on tv.

Munchausen 11-16-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I hope NJ keeps on boring their way to championships. I couldn't care any less.

Anybody on these boards interested in HOCKEY itself rather than winning? Or does it just not matter what sport it is, as long as YOUR team is winning?

kira 11-16-2003 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Anybody on these boards interested in HOCKEY itself rather than winning? Or does it just not matter what sport it is, as long as YOUR team is winning?

I watch games that have teams playing that don't interest me at all. I'd rather watch San Jose and Phoenix play hockey than most any other stuff on tv...it doesn't matter to me if it's pro or college...I'll watch it.

SopelFan* 11-16-2003 03:17 PM

Go Habs Go.

Les Zarbites 11-16-2003 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm in complete agreement with what you said. The thing is that it's though to care for a team that's boring and not even competitive. It has to be one of the two or you're just missing the point completely. If your team is not even gonna be competitive why make it boring by using a system that is gonna choke the life out of your offensively gifted players and that is probably gonna hurt their trade value ? If you don't have a team able to make the playoffs then what's the use of playing this boring trap hockey ? Does it help our prospects develop their offensive abilities ? Does it make it more entertaining for the fans ?

It's sad that they'd prefer to play innefective vets that most people don't give a damn about. It boggles the mind to see them trying this approach again considering our past years successes with the same old crappy players. Not exciting, not competitive, soft and crappy vets oriented team. Definately a big disapointment so far. I find it increasingly difficult from year to year to cheer for these guys.

Hell when Audette scores I'm like : oh crap he's not gonna be benched next game ...

vitogor 11-16-2003 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
You Habs fans really can't see past the East! The Wild play by far the most boring hockey in the NHL and perhaps all time.

Yes we do! :yo: I am sorry that we put your team to sleep in last year's playoffs.

Psycho Papa Joe 11-16-2003 04:25 PM

Some numbers to ponder. These are the totals goals per game in games involving the following teams:

Habs 4.08
NJ 4.15
Min 4.44

At least the Devils are winners, which is in itself exciting. The numbers don't lie. The Habs are the most boring team to watch because not only do their games produce precious little offense, but they are also a losing club.

Rand 11-16-2003 04:30 PM

Quote:

Me.
I've said it many times, I'd rather see the Leafs play mediocre, but exciting hockey then start playing the trap 60min a game or any other boredom inducing strategy and win all the time.

Bud The Spud* 11-16-2003 04:35 PM

Quote:

I want to see good hockey, but it would suck if the games were exciting and they most of the time. Right now, it seems we will not get much more from the Habs, but hopefully in the near future things will get better. Until then, we just really need wins.

Unthinkable 11-16-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Even the Devils, Wild, Ducks ect are playing much more exciting hockey.

Against board policy to use exciting and Devils in the same sentence. Refer to section 3-4 in your charter handbook, paragraphs 6-23 along with diagrams 1-9 which clearly illustrate thou shall never refer to the NJ Devils in a positive light not even jokingly. :joker: