HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Golf Tournament Tidbits (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=287186)

Phil Parent 09-07-2006 01:40 AM

Golf Tournament Tidbits

Condensed Summary of tidbits from the Golf Tournament as reported by the gang on CKAC, and RDS. And some comments from me.

- There was no representative from the Gillet family at the tourney. Apparently, George Gillet's wife had arranged a trip to Alaska to celebrate the couple's 52nd (What they said...) year of marriage and Mr. Gillet was unavailable. And their son Foster was no-where to be seen neither. Hmmm.....could there be ownership changes in the air?

- The reason of Samsonov's visa problem is that he wanted to come to the tourney and then leave Canada to come back next week. Apparently, visa people don't like the idea. And why he didn't want to be in Montreal for a week before the camp starts, to figure things out and such, I don't know. Samsonov will live in Jose Theodore's old house, also.

- Andrei Markov never made it to the golf course. He got lost, and also lost his information card they had given him...in case he got lost. One of his teammates found him in time for the night charity event/meal. I swear I couldn't make him sound any stupider if I tried. This man has serious issues. Maybe it is best for him to just go back to Russia and be home. I wonder if he's illiterate? I don't know, swinging in the dark here, but hey...

- Talking about swinging, Alexander Perezhogin had never played golf before, but he sure tried. A natural lefty swing, he got put in a foursome with 3 righties. So he got the idea that he HAD to swing righty. After swinging and missing 7 times (What they said..), he finally touched the ball, which went all of 10 yards. His foursome mates explained him he could play lefty if he wanted. So he switched sides, swung and missed a couple more times and finally hit the ball again for another negligible gain. He finally gave up. But, in the feel good part of the story, Perezhogin spent the remainder of his day helping volunteers working for the Canadiens Foundation For Children, setting up tables, cutting vegetables and making sandwiches. He also helped a poor lost guy find his way to the charity meal after he had missed on the golfing part of the day. CKAC's talking heads praised him. I'll praise him too. Markov would have hidden behind a tree...

- ...And Plekanec wouldn't have shown up...err, he didn't? He could have been on vegetables duty, too. It's a charity event, Tomas. I'm sure the guy knows better than that and is not rotten or anything.

- Mike Johnson can hack his way through a few words of French, and can understand it good. He claims spending years sharing rooms with Quebecers helped him with it. Ron Fournier also says that Mike Johnson has a hell of an handshake and just "Looks Like A Hockey Player" which is a concept lost on many people, but which is true in Johnson's case.

- Koivu golfed. Don't know how well he golfed, but there's no way you can hit a golf ball with a golf club at all with an eye injury that kills your peripheric vision and supposedly threatens your career. And he did golf. So he'll surely be able to hit the puck with the stick when time comes, don't worry.

- Heard of Kovalev? He lost 9 pounds. That's it, that's Kovalev's news. No news if he's speaking French now. Or if he's still pissed over Gainey finger pointing him in the playoffs last year. Or on his opinion on anything.

- CKAC host Christian Gauthier confronted Mike Ribeiro, saying "You know, I've been saying that sometimes you look like you lack intensity. Now, I've never doubted your skills, but you are not as intense as, say, Steve Begin. What do you say about that?"

Ribeiro, probably bent over in pain after that well placed zinger to the ego, paused for 2-3 seconds, started a sentence, fumbled his words and then said: "Well, I am not the same kind of player as Steve, so no I am not as intense as him....".

If you want my opinion on the question, well, To quote Eric Cartman from the episode "The Passion Of The Jew": "If I knew where Christian Gauthier was, I'd be down on the floor licking his balls at this very moment, sir"

Now if you want my opinion on answer, I'll say it was very weak indeed.

- Fournier expects a third line of Perezhogin, Plekanec and Kostsitsyn; a fourth line with Begin, Bonk & Johnson.

- They've renewed Youppi!

- The Gold Tourney & The Meal raised 350,000$ for the foundation.

And that sums about all that happened.

MacHabs93 09-07-2006 02:14 AM

Thanks for this! :bow:

VirginiaMtlExpat 09-07-2006 02:21 AM

Would those be golf balls you're licking? Edit: what some people won't resort to for a true putt.

madbox 09-07-2006 02:43 AM

If goalies can get away with being freaks of nature, why can't defensemen? So what if Markov's... different. lol

jordi 09-07-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madbox (Post 6439105)
If goalies can get away with being freaks of nature, why can't defensemen? So what if Markov's... different. lol

Maybe he'll make great season interview quotes!

edit: I guess Sammy decided to stay in Canada... in Detroit?

Kirk Muller* 09-07-2006 03:26 AM

thanks for the updates!

ngc_5128 09-07-2006 09:21 AM

If Sammy is living in the Theo's old house, I hope he remembers to salt the stairs come winter ;)

tmc 09-07-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 6439006)
- Andrei Markov never made it to the golf course. He got lost, and also lost his information card they had given him...in case he got lost. One of his teammates found him in time for the night charity event/meal. I swear I couldn't make him sound any stupider if I tried. This man has serious issues. Maybe it is best for him to just go back to Russia and be home. I wonder if he's illiterate? I don't know, swinging in the dark here, but hey...

who gives a damn does he look lost on the ice? it's more the team that looks lost when he's not playing. only in montreal :shakehead

417 09-07-2006 10:41 AM

Were any of the 'bubble' players there?

Kostitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre, Coté

???

znk 09-07-2006 11:13 AM

alot of anger and resentment in your update. I didnt like that. Sorry.

Iz 09-07-2006 11:17 AM

I don't understand the Markov story...Those millionaires don't have cellphones?

Shabutie 09-07-2006 11:31 AM

Wonder how everyone would've felt about Gauthier had asked that queston to Kovalev, Perezoghin or Ryder.

Tatay Farlo 09-07-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Fournier expects a third line of Perezhogin, Plekanec and Kostsitsyn...

First, thanks for the recap, great stuff. Secondly, the line above makes me drool...would be awesome to see. Lastly, nice stuff from Perezhogin on helping out, maybe he is a good guy and is just stuck with Meehan and his greedy kronies.

toshiro 09-07-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Condensed Summary of tidbits from the Golf Tournament as reported by the gang on CKAC, and RDS. And some comments from me.
And that sums about all that happened.

Thanks. Good stuff. How reliable is Fornier's info usually?

Jyroe Habs Fan 09-07-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6440708)
Wonder how everyone would've felt about Gauthier had asked that queston to Kovalev, Perezoghin or Ryder.

Give it up, you on a losing team trying to protect that Idiot from abuse. With his bad attitude, Mikey has made his image with the hockey public.

Ryder played through serious pain this year and he played hard as well.
Perezoghin was a rookie!
Kovalev is Kovalev, he is our best player.

Phil Parent 09-07-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 6441310)
Thanks. Good stuff. How reliable is Fornier's info usually?

In my opinion, he's pretty well sourced.

He did break the Kovalev trade, he HAS to be sourced to be able to do that...

Habsfan18 09-07-2006 01:08 PM

Thanks for the write-up!

I don't like the thought of Johnson on the 4th line, I'd rather him on the 3rd. He could score 25 goals, but being on the 4th line he'd net maybe 10 which would drive Habs fans to hate him.

The Markov and Ribeiro stories are funny :biglaugh:

BORAT 09-07-2006 01:29 PM

Nice ! Lets hope that we can get this '' going '' !!! and that no golf ball shalt be sucked

Shabutie 09-07-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan (Post 6441319)
Give it up, you on a losing team trying to protect that Idiot from abuse. With his bad attitude, Mikey has made his image with the hockey public.

Ryder played through serious pain this year and he played hard as well.
Perezoghin was a rookie!
Kovalev is Kovalev, he is our best player.

Ryder didn't play through pain the entire year.
Being a rookie isn't a good reason to not give it your all every night (Higgins and Pleks come to mind).
Kovalev being Kovalev, isn't a better excuse.

In no way am I saying Gauthier wasn't right to ask the question, I just find it funny that people jump through the roof when Ribs gets asked this question, when these other 3 could easily be asked the same question, and have to give a similar response.

waffledave 09-07-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6441538)
Ryder didn't play through pain the entire year.
Being a rookie isn't a good reason to not give it your all every night (Higgins and Pleks come to mind).
Kovalev being Kovalev, isn't a better excuse.

Ryder's injury started in early December and lasted until the playoffs. That's pretty much the entire year.

Shabutie 09-07-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6441614)
Ryder's injury started in early December and lasted until the playoffs. That's pretty much the entire year.

Fair enough. I find it funny that he could play through that injury for that long though. I mean, only he knows how much pain he was in, but I have a hard time believe it was a big injury if the guy could tough it for 5-6 months.

waffledave 09-07-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6441867)
Fair enough. I find it funny that he could play through that injury for that long though. I mean, only he knows how much pain he was in, but I have a hard time believe it was a big injury if the guy could tough it for 5-6 months.

Maybe he's just a real warrior. The guy had to constantly work harder than everyone else just to make the NHL (being a late round pick) and I would say his work ethic wouldn't let an injury get in the way.

Jerryson 09-07-2006 05:06 PM

Plekanec could not go at the golf, he missed his baggage from the airport so he had nothing to wear even at the dinner... I heard it from my friend.

Shabutie 09-07-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 6442014)
Maybe he's just a real warrior. The guy had to constantly work harder than everyone else just to make the NHL (being a late round pick) and I would say his work ethic wouldn't let an injury get in the way.

Still, I believe that for something to be that bothersome, he couldn't have played through it the entire year. Well, I don't want to rag on Ryder cuz I think he's a great player. Just saying that I doubt the severity of his injury. I don't want to get into a whole debate.

Team_Spirit 09-07-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerryson (Post 6443114)
Plekanec could not go at the golf, he missed his baggage from the airport so he had nothing to wear even at the dinner... I heard it from my friend.

And your friend got it in ''Le journal de Montreal'' yesterday. It's a fun fact about Pleks , he dosen't play golf. I had a picture somewhere on my pc but i can't find it.. It's Plekanec sitting on the ice , his back along the boards with his stick in the air like he was sitting and fishing while watching the Canes celebrate their victory in the 1st round.

Oh an Phil watch out how you talk about God ;)