HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Grabbing the Present? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=288228)

Souffle 09-10-2006 08:02 PM

Grabbing the Present?
 
Which, if any, would you trade for if you had to give up Grabovsky as the centerpiece? (If several, choose your favourite option.)

Shabutie 09-10-2006 08:03 PM

I don't get the question.

*nvm you just put up a poll

larue* 09-10-2006 08:04 PM

Im sick of this trade talk.....Pass!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

znk 09-10-2006 08:12 PM

None? Until I see what Grabovsky is really like. Trading young cheap talent feels like a crime in the new CBA.

goalchenyuk 09-10-2006 08:25 PM

how to answer ; most of us haven't seen Grabo play ...

From all the names we saw from the rumours , Lecavalier and Marleau are the most interesting ( i don,t put Malkin because it's too a crazy rumour ).

VanNistelrooy 09-10-2006 08:27 PM

Lecavalier is one of my favorite player, since his Rimouski days. I would glady take him in Montreal.

imnothere 09-10-2006 08:41 PM

Marleau based on his age and contract.

Blind Gardien 09-10-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzeleid (Post 6461915)
Marleau based on his contract.

Me too. I wouldn't trade for Lecavalier, Gomez, or Briere because they are either too expensive and/or impending UFAs next summer. We can't afford them.

Actually, it's only a marginal vote for Marleau for me too, I'm not sure that he's really much better of an answer with a slightly cheaper deal and one extra year. It's not about hyping Grabovski or expecting him to be as good as any of them, it's just that we now live in a cap world and we can't afford those guys.

Phil Parent 09-10-2006 08:51 PM

If they'll take Bonk too, we can start negociations with Pittsburgh for Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal. We'll fix that damn centermen issue.

frederixx 09-10-2006 08:54 PM

21% none so far... come on guys... who wouldn't trade an unproven 22y rookie, for an elite center like: Lecavalier, Marleau, etc...

yes, they do make alot of money, but if you want to be sucessful, you have to pay your top players and you won't win a cup with a team full or first and second years.

:shakehead

CoupeStanley 09-10-2006 08:56 PM

It seems a bit early to compare Grabovski with the best centers in the game, no?

Only in Montreal...

That's CRAZY!

Blind Gardien 09-10-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederixx (Post 6461980)
21% none so far... come on guys... who wouldn't trade an unproven 22y rookie, for an elite center like: Lecavalier, Marleau, etc...

I don't think that was necessarily the question. Maybe I interpreted wrong. I was assuming that we'd be paying a fair trade price for those players, part of which would include Grabovski, but obviously would include other significant players from our side too. Giving up a "fair trade" package of young cheap players for a single expensive player on a short contract is a suicide scenario in the new cap world, IMO. The only justification for it that I can ever see is if you do it right at the deadline in a year when you think you have a legitimate chance to make a deep playoff run.

Le Tricolore 09-10-2006 09:13 PM

While I'd love to see what Grabo could do, I'd gladly take Marleau on the team in his place. Vinny being my #2.

frederixx 09-10-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6462061)
I don't think that was necessarily the question. Maybe I interpreted wrong. I was assuming that we'd be paying a fair trade price for those players, part of which would include Grabovski, but obviously would include other significant players from our side too. Giving up a "fair trade" package of young cheap players for a single expensive player on a short contract is a suicide scenario in the new cap world, IMO. The only justification for it that I can ever see is if you do it right at the deadline in a year when you think you have a legitimate chance to make a deep playoff run.

well he clearly says: Grabovski as the centerpiece! to me, it means Grabovski as the main guy and 1-2 picks or lesser prospects

TheDamned 09-10-2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley (Post 6461994)
It seems a bit early to compare Grabovski with the best centers in the game, no?

Only in Montreal...

That's CRAZY!

+1, that's hella sick, this guy proved nothing yet

Le Tricolore 09-10-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDamned (Post 6462105)
+1, that's hella sick, this guy proved nothing yet

pfft, he's better than all of the other ones. how many points do Marleau, Lecavalier, Briere, and Gomez have for the Belerussian national team? No where near as many as Sir Grabo!

Bryzga lol* 09-10-2006 09:23 PM

Marleau because he'd be the perfect player for the Habs... but I'd also love to have Lecavalier, he's a bit younger too.

RE-HABS 09-10-2006 09:23 PM

We gave up a prospect a lot of people here were pissed about and it worked out in our favour bigtime...remember Jozef Balej? He was something of a can't miss coming up in Junior, the A and then a couple of games here and there with the Habs, he only netted us Kovalev and while Kovalev is still with us and a star in the NHL, Balej is barely doing well in the AHL and has been traded to the Canucks (looks to be a career minor leaguer if he can't crack the nucks line-up this year) since the Habs/Rangers trade.

So would I trade Grabovsky for a big name talent that is entering there prime and going to help this team now....YES.

It would never happen but I would go for Vinnie stating the obvious in the big centre, young and entering their prime and yes the french canadian star needed to keep the fans and media happy (for a while).

If you don't want the trade to haunt you in case he was to be a star then you go for Marleau because with Grabovky in the West it doesn't look as bad on you not having to play them.

If he is a star he will crack the line up now, he maybe a very talented player, but the jury is still out on "star" or even "nhl" player as of yet.

znk 09-10-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley (Post 6461994)
It seems a bit early to compare Grabovski with the best centers in the game, no?

Only in Montreal...

That's CRAZY!

I dont see anyone comparing him to these guys. It's making him part of a trade with other players.

znk 09-10-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 6462129)
We gave up a prospect a lot of people here were pissed about and it worked out in our favour bigtime...remember Jozef Balej? He was something of a can't miss coming up in Junior, the A and then a couple of games here and there with the Habs, he only netted us Kovalev and while Kovalev is still with us and a star in the NHL, Balej is barely doing well in the AHL and has been traded to the Canucks (looks to be a career minor leaguer if he can't crack the nucks line-up this year) since the Habs/Rangers trade.

So would I trade Grabovsky for a big name talent that is entering there prime and going to help this team now....YES.

It would never happen but I would go for Vinnie stating the obvious in the big centre, young and entering their prime and yes the french canadian star needed to keep the fans and media happy (for a while).

If you don't want the trade to haunt you in case he was to be a star then you go for Marleau because with Grabovky in the West it doesn't look as bad on you not having to play them.

If he is a star he will crack the line up now, he maybe a very talented player, but the jury is still out on "star" or even "nhl" player as of yet.


Balej ?? I wasnt disapointed at all when he was traded. I dont think he had half the hype that's been surrounding Grabovsky lately.

jcpenny 09-10-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 6462129)
We gave up a prospect a lot of people here were pissed about and it worked out in our favour bigtime...remember Jozef Balej? He was something of a can't miss coming up in Junior, the A and then a couple of games here and there with the Habs, he only netted us Kovalev and while Kovalev is still with us and a star in the NHL, Balej is barely doing well in the AHL and has been traded to the Canucks (looks to be a career minor leaguer if he can't crack the nucks line-up this year) since the Habs/Rangers trade.

So would I trade Grabovsky for a big name talent that is entering there prime and going to help this team now....YES.

It would never happen but I would go for Vinnie stating the obvious in the big centre, young and entering their prime and yes the french canadian star needed to keep the fans and media happy (for a while).

If you don't want the trade to haunt you in case he was to be a star then you go for Marleau because with Grabovky in the West it doesn't look as bad on you not having to play them.

If he is a star he will crack the line up now, he maybe a very talented player, but the jury is still out on "star" or even "nhl" player as of yet.

Balej is not in Grabovsky's league. Grabovsky has already accomplished way more in the pro level than Balej ever will.

Souffle 09-10-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by znk (Post 6462217)
Balej ?? I wasnt disapointed at all when he was traded. I dont think he had half the hype that's been surrounding Grabovsky lately.

I wasn't disappointed either, but I remember a fair bit of hype. First for his preseason where he scored 6 goals or whatever, and then when he was Hamilton's best player.

Anyway, I'm really torn. A part of me agrees with your status-quo/training camp evaluation approach, but another part of me is moved by the Balej parable and the real concerns about the lack of top end depth at center.

znk 09-10-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave (Post 6462306)
I wasn't disappointed either, but I remember a fair bit of hype. First for his preseason where he scored 6 goals or whatever, and then when he was Hamilton's best player.

Anyway, I'm really torn. A part of me agrees with your status-quo/training camp evaluation approach, but another part of me is moved by the Balej parable and the real concerns about the lack of top end depth at center.

The thing with Grabs is that in my case I only started noticing/hearing about him a few months ago. I havent had time enough to ***** his real skill level. He just poped out of nowhere and I think that makes him a special case.

This situation just has me hoping that it's our turn to have a quality late pick. Maybe he's our Datsyuk(something Timmins him self refered too). I think it would be a shame to trade him before we get the chance to see what he is.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 09-10-2006 10:01 PM

lol :biglaugh:

jcpenny 09-10-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave (Post 6462306)
I wasn't disappointed either, but I remember a fair bit of hype. First for his preseason where he scored 6 goals or whatever, and then when he was Hamilton's best player.

Anyway, I'm really torn. A part of me agrees with your status-quo/training camp evaluation approach, but another part of me is moved by the Balej parable and the real concerns about the lack of top end depth at center.

I dont remember that at all...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.