HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   When will the First Major Flyer Move Be? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=28882)

Rails 11-17-2003 10:27 AM

When will the First Flyer Move Be?

well

swflyers8* 11-17-2003 10:33 AM

Hopefully Clarke gets rid of Therien to some struggling team that can actually use him.

Banger 11-17-2003 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
Hopefully Clarke gets rid of Therien to some struggling team that can actually use him.

Agreed. At this point he's the only weak link on the team. He has actually played a little more physical lately which is the only way he is even slightly effective but he still is by far the worst player on the team. Moving him to make room for Vandermeer/Seidenberg would be nice.

John Flyers Fan 11-17-2003 10:45 AM

Depends on what you mean by "major" move.

If you mean a trade of any kind my guess would be January or early February.

If you mean a move to one of our "core" players or bringing in another high profile player, I would say the off-season, unless we suffer a major injury.

Rails 11-17-2003 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Depends on what you mean by "major" move.

If you mean a trade of any kind my guess would be January or early February.

If you mean a move to one of our "core" players or bringing in another high profile player, I would say the off-season, unless we suffer a major injury.

I guess you could classify dumping Therien as a major move. But anymove that is an attempt to bolster the team.

I wonder if Clarke tried to dump Therien on Dallas, since they just traded for a veteran defenseman, but Klemm is easily a better pick up than Therien.

blah 11-17-2003 01:14 PM

Gonchar would be sweet.
Doubt the Flyers will do anything major w/o an injury forcing them though.

Big Bill 11-17-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Gonchar would be sweet.
Doubt the Flyers will do anything major w/o an injury forcing them though.

I doubt that GOncher would be traded. I think McPhee would ask for Pitkanen, and I bet CLarke would say "Hell No!"

FlyersGuy69 11-17-2003 01:30 PM

as far as a major trade ? I don't think it will be for awhile, unless something falls into they're lap.

I am hoping that they are just trying to showcase Therien so that they will be able to move him and then move either Vandermeer or Woywitka. unfortunately, I think that Siedenberg is also going to be moved at some point.

Brad* 11-17-2003 03:01 PM

Not for a while, or at least not until they start to struggle.

Flyers26 11-17-2003 03:35 PM

We really don't have any glaring holes right now.
If Therien plays the rest of the season, like he's playing now, he won't be traded. He's playing solid defense "right now".

Steve L* 11-17-2003 08:21 PM

Yup, Therien is playing for his Flyers career now, if he carries on like this, I hope he stays although a large number of people want him gone no matter how well he does.

blah 11-18-2003 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill
I doubt that GOncher would be traded. I think McPhee would ask for Pitkanen, and I bet CLarke would say "Hell No!"

You don't get good players in return for a salary dump.

Cuiff 11-18-2003 03:30 AM

Therien, get him off thsi team....please!

VaFlyer 11-18-2003 04:28 AM

I sort of agree that right now I don't see anything happening, not even a minor move. The team has great depth, since it has at least 2 forwards and 1 defenseman who could play every night in this league, and the team continue's to play well.

Fedoruk and Chouinard sit alot of games and Sharp is in the minors trying to prove he can play on this level. Vandermeer sits right now and Seidenberg seems to be playing very, very well for the Phantoms. Nittymaki also seems to be playing well. It appears we have depth at every position.

I think there are 2 scenarios for possible trades to occur on offense. First, if Roenick gets hurt for the season. If he goes down we do lack scoring line center depth. We have 4, or even 5, good centers if you count Sharp, but Roenick is really the only scoring line center we have. Second, we could have more than 1 winger go out to injury. If multiple wingers would get injured, we might need to upgrade at a position, depending upon who it is injured. Again, I think it is a matter of scoring line, skill type players that would need to get hurt.

On defense, I think the only thing that leads to a trade is multiple injuries to vets. If more than one of the 5 vets currently playing gets hurt, we will probably need another vet to stabilize the defense. I don't think this team can afford to go into the playoffs with 3 rookies on the blueline. I really don't think Clarke will move Therien as he does provide a veteran presence and his play has picked up.

Unless both goalies are hurt, I don't see anything happening there either.

SO, my hope is we don't make any trades, but in reality I think Clarke will pick up a veteran defenseman, a Dave Babych type, at the trade deadline to protect the team from multiple veterans getting hurt before the playoffs. He will move a 3-7th round draft pick. It will be a steady or older vet that may be on his last legs, but is savvy enough to stay sharp despite not really playing any games.

stanley 11-18-2003 04:28 AM

Showcasing Therien? I suppose Clarke could showcase him just like I did the empty pizza boxes and trash can for the garbage man this morning. How do you showcase Chris Therien?

Okay, take that in good fun. It's also unfair to Therien, whom I don't mind as much as most fans. I also wouldn't expect to see him go anywhere this year. He's in the last year of his contract and I think that Jimmy Vandermeer's early season showing was proof positive that all-in-all, having a known quantity is better than taking a chance with a rookie. I think Vandermeer or Seidenberg could step in and perform perfectly fine if needed. They'll be around for a lot longer than just this year.

More than all that and most importantly, it seems to be what Hitchcock and Clarke are thinking.

Rails 11-18-2003 11:39 AM

Well, for my opinion, I think it will be during a long skid - February - so, we'll lose some games here and there, but once we hit a skid, Clarke will move someone.