HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jack Johnson Available Per TSN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=289501)

frozenrubber 09-14-2006 01:50 PM

Jack Johnson Available Per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177467&hubname=

Not only does it give the rumor that Jack Johnson is available more credability, they start throwing around Marc Staal's name.

Obviously a lot has happened since draft day, would everyone make a deal for Johnson for Staal straight up or who needs to ante in this trade?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 09-14-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenrubber (Post 6491356)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177467&hubname=

Not only does it give the rumor that Jack Johnson is available more credability, they start throwing around Marc Staal's name.

Obviously a lot has happened since draft day, would everyone make a deal for Johnson for Staal straight up or who needs to ante in this trade?

Not sure how Staal solves their problem. If Kaberle is out for the season, why would they deal a prospect defenseman for a prospect defenseman? The only way that makes sense is if the Rangers are adding in an NHL-ready defenseman in any potential deal. Would you trade Rozsival and Staal for Johnson? Not sure I would.

Geogaddi 09-14-2006 01:56 PM

I myself am Very happy with Staal's Progression since we have drafted him. They are both in an equal value right now, where not either really towers over the other in Potential. Jack Johnson is no Joke either, and i like the fact that he's staying in college for atleast another year, very smart on his part.

Just really dont see a Prospect for Prospect trade right now. If Carolina is going to deal JJ, then its for a Premier D-man. I see carolina looking for a person that is ready right now. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

BDubinskyNYR17* 09-14-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzai12 (Post 6491402)
I myself am Very happy with Staal's Progression since we have drafted him. They are both in an equal value right now, where not either really towers over the other in Potential. Jack Johnson is no Joke either, and i like the fact that he's staying in college for atleast another year, very smart on his part.

Just really dont see a Prospect for Prospect trade right now. If Carolina is going to deal JJ, then its for a Premier D-man. I see carolina looking for a person that is ready right now. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

hmm yea maybe we can deal them Rozsival. Id rather have Staal than Johnson. I wonder how much more to Rozsival we have to add to get Andrew Ladd.

Rozsival, Immonen and Betts for Andrew Ladd and Kevyn Adams???

Son of Steinbrenner 09-14-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHall18NYR (Post 6491446)
hmm yea maybe we can deal them Rozsival. Id rather have Staal than Johnson. I wonder how much more to Rozsival we have to add to get Andrew Ladd.

I think you forgot Pock and Hossa...

BDubinskyNYR17* 09-14-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 6491486)

i bet theyd rather have immonen and betts than pock and hossa. maybe we can move them for cooke or something.

Capitain Midnight 09-14-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 6491486)

she forgot to include the rights to....errrrrrrr....a signed Rachunek.

Edge 09-14-2006 02:12 PM

When all is said and done I see Johnson going to Pitts.

UAGoalieGuy 09-14-2006 02:12 PM

if there was a way to go after J. Johnson without giving up Staal or Sanguenetti I'd jump all over it..I don't think the Rangers have anything to offer for a Dman the calibre of JJ...wishful thinking though...

Edge 09-14-2006 02:16 PM

The only way a team gets Johnson is if they give up a bluechip prospect on the same level or give up a star player.

I don't see the Rangers doing that.

Rabid Ranger 09-14-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzai12 (Post 6491402)

I still see Johnson as having more lustre as a prospect than Staal, he's a much more dynamic player. That's not to say Staal's a chump or won't be a very good NHL defenseman, but all things considered equal, most GM's (IMO) would probably go with Johnson over Staal. That being said, I would think Carolina would do that kind a deal in a second, especially if the Rangers throw in a mid-range prospect.

Larry Melnyk 09-14-2006 02:29 PM

Given the Rangers need for a top D-man for many years to come, there aren't many prospects I would trade Staal for, but Jack Johnson is one of them...Liked him better at draft time and he has progressed well (as has Staal) and have no problem with his stand on college..

frozenrubber 09-14-2006 02:29 PM

The crux of the rumor is Jack Johnson will not sign this year. Staal has and will report to the NHL.

I have no doubt Staal has made the strides last year to be a top 6 this year (not top 4 however). In Staal they get a prospect w/ great upside (that may be equal to Johnsons - not in physicality, but overall talent) that can play this year.

RangerBoy 09-14-2006 02:32 PM

At the 2005 draft,Carolina's scouting staff had a heated debate on whether to take Jack Johnson or Marc Staal.Some scouts wanted Johnson and some wanted Staal

TSN is just speculating about Marc Staal going to Carolina after all of the rumors of Jordan Staal going to Carolina to join big brother Eric

What is Johnson doing in college?He has a chance to play in the NHL and he is playing college hockey:banghead:

That stupid CBA clause about college seniors becoming free agents after August 15 comes into play with Johnson.What prevents Johnson from staying at Michigan for all four years and then becomes a free agent?Nothing

Pass

Ola 09-14-2006 02:32 PM

Jack Johnsson over Marc Staal?

Gooing from the little I've seen of Johnsson, compared to what Staal have shown I am defenitly not sold on making that trade. I also love Marc's attitude and poise on the ice. Sure Johnson's attributes are great, but after seeing Marc Staal in preseason last season I am not sure if I would trade him for anyone, except a Crosby or Ovechkin. Staal might, and I mean MIGHT, not have the outstanding attributes, that would allow him to compete for a Norris Trophy. But the way he handles every situations that are put infront of him is so darn impressive. And he still moved like a teenager in last seasons camp. When this kid is done growing I am sold on him becomming a rock solid hockeyplayer in the NHL.

RangerBoy 09-14-2006 02:34 PM

Perry Pearn compared Marc Staal to Wade Redden.Pearn coached Redden in Ottawa

I Am Chariot 09-14-2006 02:36 PM

they will get a better offer elsewhere...

Rather hold onto our Staal to land the older Staal down the road. If they really want to play together let it be on Broadway

RangerBoy 09-14-2006 02:37 PM

If Carolina wants a defenseman,maybe they will put in a call for Aaron Ward

nyrmessier011 09-14-2006 02:39 PM

Staal has done nothing but live up to his hype so far. He battled in camp last year, and he will again this year. No reason to go make a bold trade just to make one. Everytime a name is throw out there a lot of people want the rangers to go back to 1999 and start making crazy moves, its just silly. Running this organization conservatively since 2004 is the best thing thats happened since Mike Richter was born

BrooklynRangersFan 09-14-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHall18NYR (Post 6491446)

Er, not to be picky, but the rumor (and thread) is about Johnson being available - and he's not even in this proposal!

RangerBoy 09-14-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 6491783)
Er, not to be picky, but the rumor (and thread) is about Johnson being available - and he's not even in this proposal!

Don't let the facts get in the way:sarcasm:

Nich 09-14-2006 02:48 PM

Rosi and Hossa for Johnson and a 2nd round choice!!!

free0717 09-14-2006 02:52 PM

how about OZO for JJ. And the Rangers will throw in a Bag of Pucks

shoothepuck 09-14-2006 02:55 PM

Staal is available now, and let's see how he does in camp. No reason to trade him and then wait on Johnson.

frozenrubber 09-14-2006 02:57 PM

Marc Staal aside, the Rangers are in a very interesting situation. With a top 6 basically set for this season, they could trade a "Staal" like player for Johnson and having no problem waiting another year for JJ. That leaves them with no problem in sacrificing this season while trading a player of Staal's talent/potential. There aren't a lot of teams that can do this without negatively affecting their 06-07 roster.

As it now stands, it appears that Marc Staal has 1A defensemen written all over him. However, Jack Johnson is a protypical, franchise #1 defensemen. I'm not sure it's worth the risk, but it is a very tempting and interesting option.