HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New York Rangers circa 2006 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=289933)

007 09-15-2006 05:50 PM

New York Rangers circa 2006

I just read Leslie's Rangers training camp preview and, despite the fact that it seems like 'rebuilding' effort is going slowly, I have to say I like where this team stands right now. Basically, the Rangers are a veteran team, but one that looks nothing like the bad old days before last season.

They're led by veterans like Shanny and Jagr, with a few young players, like Lundqvist, Tyutin and Prucha and a few doors open for rookies like Immonen and Dawes. Meanwhile, there is a steady pipeline of prospects to fill in roster spots as they come open over the next couple of years: Dubinsky (if he doesn't make the team this year), Montoya, Staal, Sauer, Helminen, Korpikoski, Sanguinetti and Baranka amongst others will all get a look at the NHL in 2007 or 2008 or even 2009. Moreover, when these kids do get to play in the NHL, they'll be in an established team with an established playing system.

So we don't have a team of kids, nor do we have a team of moneybags retirement-ready golfers on ice. There's a balance here, a system which has the potential to keep the Rangers competetive for several years to come!

What do you guys think? Do the Rangers have a strategy? Is the rebuilding going too slow? Too fast? Are the Rangers even rebuilding anymore?

broadwayblue 09-15-2006 06:42 PM

I think the "rebuild" is going nicely...although we could use a couple more 1st line potential guys.

Plato 09-15-2006 07:14 PM

yea i really doubt we have anybody offensively who can carry the team in the furture

LiquidClown 09-15-2006 07:41 PM

Agreed, this team is lacking in first line potential. After Jagr retires or leaves this team is going to need to sign a top line player or trade for one, it'd be sweet to land Nash somehow, I know it's a pipedream but I like that kid alot.

Inferno 09-15-2006 08:56 PM

this is how you want your team fellas. a bunch of solid vets, with strong youth pushing its way into the fold. not a bunch of vets to be replaced by a bunch of vets.

DutchShamrock 09-15-2006 11:02 PM

The current CBA and system of the new NHL suits the Rangers just fine. Need first line talent? That will be readily available in just a few years. In their prime no less. There is going to be a plethora of guys testing the free agenty waters at the ripe old age of 28 and here we are with tons of cap room. $6m this season and fast forward 2 years and you probably have something like $20m. Guys, 1st line talent will be available to everyone that has the cap space to pay 1st line talent. We can out bid teams that operate on a budget under the cap limit and we can out bid teams that are too close to the cap limit. Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Kasparitis, Malik walking out the door opens spots for tomorrow's talent. The supporting cast is supplied by our prospect system and the headliner is whoever is the cream of the crop. You seriously don't have anything to worry about when UFA is guarenteed at 28 y/o, you know, except for your UFAs.

BrooklynRangersFan 09-16-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 6502375)
The current CBA and system of the new NHL suits the Rangers just fine. Need first line talent? That will be readily available in just a few years. In their prime no less. There is going to be a plethora of guys testing the free agenty waters at the ripe old age of 28 and here we are with tons of cap room. $6m this season and fast forward 2 years and you probably have something like $20m. Guys, 1st line talent will be available to everyone that has the cap space to pay 1st line talent. We can out bid teams that operate on a budget under the cap limit and we can out bid teams that are too close to the cap limit. Jagr, Nylander, Straka, Kasparitis, Malik walking out the door opens spots for tomorrow's talent. The supporting cast is supplied by our prospect system and the headliner is whoever is the cream of the crop. You seriously don't have anything to worry about when UFA is guarenteed at 28 y/o, you know, except for your UFAs.

Exactly right, Mugerya. Forgetting the awful late 90s/early 00s (hard to do, I know), Sather & co really seemed to figure out the post lockout NHL incredibly well.

And they started before the lockout, beginning when they first realized it was coming. In late '04, they started to turn it around - first by making trades for solid young players and picks. Next, they hired the staff to hopefully make sure that those picks and young players would become prospects well on their way to becoming excellent 2nd and 3rd line (and equivalent D) players. When they couldn't get a marquee first line center they drafted the best goalie. When they lost out on the Crosby sweepstakes, they played it cool and traded up for the best player they could economically get, Staal. Meanwhile they made savvy signings; no over the top offers, no over the hill vets. They've played the salary cap game right - no major longterm commitments. All bargains (although I doubted Marek Malik at the time - now arguably our best D). All guys who actually want to be here!

This year, more of the same - Sanguinetti fell, so they took him. Same with Anisimov. Thereafter, they relied on their scouts (and hopefully their picks play out - the Wings rookie camp seems to indicate they might be able to). The free agents are all gems - none truly spectacular (well, maybe Shanny's borderline), none overpaid (even if you think the Cullen deal is too long, you can't really think he's overpaid), but all bring value and -importantly- intangibles that make all of the other players better.

And now, as mugerya says, they're set up (as the free agency age drops) to pounce when the time is right, with perhaps the best salary cap management in the league.

And in the meantime, I'm really impressed with what the scouting department has been able to do with the assets they have. I don't expect the cup this year, but I really think we're on the way to building a perennial contender. Perhaps some of the kids drafted late in the 1st/2nd rounds will become 1st liners (with the scouting dept. that I have new faith in), perhaps not - but they will be good and will continue to maintain the excellent base we have. If they don't turn into those superstars, the team's salary management has us in a place where we can hire them as we're ready.

I realize that I've only been posting here as an optimist, but I was most definitely a pessimist from about 98 to 03. I'm glad to be here as an optimist now.

Knock wood, knock wood.

WheresBarnaby 09-16-2006 01:06 PM

We've got Jagr and Shanahan for two or three more seasons. In the next few years will pick up at least another player to carry that load. There's always the late trade deadline moves. Also expect Prucha to be a real solid player for years to come. We're in a good spot, one foot in the now, one in the future.

Pizza 09-16-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 6500701)
I just read Leslie's Rangers training camp preview and, despite the fact that it seems like 'rebuilding' effort is going slowly, I have to say I like where this team stands right now. Basically, the Rangers are a veteran team, but one that looks nothing like the bad old days before last season.

They're led by veterans like Shanny and Jagr, with a few young players, like Lundqvist, Tyutin and Prucha and a few doors open for rookies like Immonen and Dawes. Meanwhile, there is a steady pipeline of prospects to fill in roster spots as they come open over the next couple of years: Dubinsky (if he doesn't make the team this year), Montoya, Staal, Sauer, Helminen, Korpikoski, Sanguinetti and Baranka amongst others will all get a look at the NHL in 2007 or 2008 or even 2009. Moreover, when these kids do get to play in the NHL, they'll be in an established team with an established playing system.

So we don't have a team of kids, nor do we have a team of moneybags retirement-ready golfers on ice. There's a balance here, a system which has the potential to keep the Rangers competetive for several years to come!

What do you guys think? Do the Rangers have a strategy? Is the rebuilding going too slow? Too fast? Are the Rangers even rebuilding anymore?

I'd say it's going pretty well....a possible few boner picks aside. What I see is a team that has a decent balance of youth and experience. As much as we would all like to see more kids, the bottom line is that many are just not ready yet.

With a little luck we will see Dawes and Dubinsky joining Lundqvist, Prucha, Hollweg, and Tyjtin. That would give us five players drafted by the Rangers in the line up. Not too bad at all with more to come. A future core is beginning to form.