HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Workload wears on Dunham (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29071)

KING 11-18-2003 03:28 AM

Workload wears on Dunham

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-122424c.html

KING 11-18-2003 03:30 AM

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-headlines

KING 11-18-2003 03:31 AM

Rangers: Dunham skips drill as durability becomes an issue

http://www.nj.com/rangers/ledger/ind...7454307900.xml

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-18-2003 03:34 AM

What is Sather really thinking? Dunham has a history of groin problems and he's riding him. For the past seven years or so, our #1 goalies have played too much. And they wear down.

Lundyfan 11-18-2003 03:42 AM

While I agree he needs to be careful and not get overworked, Dunham has a history of being injury prone. I just hope it's not starting up again.

Fletch 11-18-2003 03:52 AM

While his workload may not seem excessive...

when compared to someone like Bordeur, in terms of games, one thing that needs to be remembered is that he is behind the Rangers defense, one in which gave up over 40 shots against Chicago (and he did play two periods against Jersey the day before (of course Glen totally discounts that because he didn't finish the game (funny how you plan to go with another goalier a night later, but because your starter 'only' plays two periods, that changes)).

L.I.RangerFan 11-18-2003 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundyfan
While I agree he needs to be careful and not get overworked, Dunham has a history of being injury prone. I just hope it's not starting up again.

So far this season the only time Dunham has come up lame is after playing back to back games.

So what does the idiot Sather do? Plays him in back to back games and make stupid sarcastic comments in the papers. Good way to alienate your starting goalie. :dunno:

"It's possible, but I can't theorize on what happens," he said. "I can't use the magic word, 'psychosomatic.' If a guy tells you he's hurt, he's hurt. It doesn't matter what the reason is."

"He only played two periods (against the Devils), so it shouldn't be that tough," Sather said. "He's worked hard all summer, he's in good shape, he stretches, and he takes good care of himself. Many goalies play in back-to-back games."

Way to go you arrogant moron.

Kodiak 11-18-2003 05:36 AM

I am not a big proponent of playing a goalie in back-to-back games, but I will say that a #1 goaltender SHOULD be able to handle it. A #1 goalie should not come up lame after every set of back-to-back games. Sather may be mishandling Dunham, but it raises some questions about Dunham as well. Does anyone have confidence in Dunham being able to win a playoff game that goes into 2 or 3 OT periods? Even if he held it together for that game, what would happen the next game when he's coming off of 5 or 6 periods of hockey with only 1 day of rest? Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, but in the playoffs, you need your #1 goalie to be on top of his game every night. Otherwise, you're just the Flyers. :)

L.I.RangerFan 11-18-2003 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
I am not a big proponent of playing a goalie in back-to-back games, but I will say that a #1 goaltender SHOULD be able to handle it. A #1 goalie should not come up lame after every set of back-to-back games. Sather may be mishandling Dunham, but it raises some questions about Dunham as well. Does anyone have confidence in Dunham being able to win a playoff game that goes into 2 or 3 OT periods? Even if he held it together for that game, what would happen the next game when he's coming off of 5 or 6 periods of hockey with only 1 day of rest? Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, but in the playoffs, you need your #1 goalie to be on top of his game every night. Otherwise, you're just the Flyers. :)

I agree 100% but it is early in the season and there is no reason to overwork your #1 goalie. Jussi is a capable backup. Play him in the back to backs so when, and a BIG IF, this team makes the playoffs, Dunham can play the important games.

Sather should have kept his comments "inside the lockerroom" just like he tells his players.

Vito Andolini 11-18-2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
Sather may be mishandling Dunham, but it raises some questions about Dunham as well. Does anyone have confidence in Dunham being able to win a playoff game that goes into 2 or 3 OT periods? Even if he held it together for that game, what would happen the next game when he's coming off of 5 or 6 periods of hockey with only 1 day of rest? Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, but in the playoffs, you need your #1 goalie to be on top of his game every night. Otherwise, you're just the Flyers. :)

Well I think we should all be grateful that we dont have to worry about that problem

Fletch 11-18-2003 06:49 AM

Raises questions about Dunham?

it's been pretty well documented that Dunham's a 50-60 goaltender, not 60-70, with a history of groin injuries. Since Sather did acquire him, he should play him to his strengths and not expose his weaknesses. Last season he may've had a capable backup in Blackburn if he didn't alienate him and they could've split the load better. And this season it's Markannen, and the same can hold true. Why push him if the outcome is quite certain, especially this early in the season (he did play a lot down the stretch last season without problems, I believe)? Another case of Sather acquiring a guy and not being smart.

Mark Pavelich 11-18-2003 07:15 AM

"I can't theorize on what happened," Sather said. "I could use the magic word - psychosomatic - but if a guy tells you he's hurt, he's hurt."

That is just an awful thing to say, especially about the best performer on the team this season.

biscuithead 11-18-2003 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
"I can't theorize on what happened," Sather said. "I could use the magic word - psychosomatic - but if a guy tells you he's hurt, he's hurt."

That is just an awful thing to say, especially about the best performer on the team this season.

Hey, Trotz said essentially the same thing here in Nashville. At some point, you have to face the facts. He missed games as a Predator with a questionable injury while Vokoun played with a broken foot!

True Blue 11-18-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

He said the same thing about Bure and it is turns out that not only is the injury real, but could very well be a career-ending one. Where are Sather's "psychosomatic" comments when Messier is skipping practice due to his various little nagging injuries?
Nice comments to make about one of the players that almost single-handedly carried the team into the playoffs last year. And is the one reason why this team is currently .500.

Fletch 11-18-2003 12:15 PM

Tb..

no need to bash Messier here. The 'psychosomatic' comments are likely a result of Sather knowing Messier throughout the years..meaning the guy will play with broken bones, nerve damage, etc. He will do anything to get himself into the lineup and Sather thinks that's normal - Mess is a warrior, make no mistake about that. Heck, Kovalev's done pretty much the same thing this season with his hurt knee, and look at Leetch and his foot.

Kodiak 11-18-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
it's been pretty well documented that Dunham's a 50-60 goaltender, not 60-70, with a history of groin injuries. Since Sather did acquire him, he should play him to his strengths and not expose his weaknesses. Last season he may've had a capable backup in Blackburn if he didn't alienate him and they could've split the load better. And this season it's Markannen, and the same can hold true. Why push him if the outcome is quite certain, especially this early in the season (he did play a lot down the stretch last season without problems, I believe)? Another case of Sather acquiring a guy and not being smart.

I'm not saying that Sather isn't mishandling Dunham. Exactly the opposite, in fact. But what I am saying is that if we do make the playoffs, then there is no question that Dunham has to be in net for every game, and these games can go on (theoretically) ad infinitum. So whether Dunham should be playing 50-60 or 60-70 games a season isn't really an issue, but his durability is. If a little injury happened once, I would just chalk it up as something that happens. But to have another, separate injury (one serious enough to warrant calling up Laberbera) after each time he plays in back-to-back games (and Dunham didn't even play the 3rd period in the first game) throws up a red flag for me.

Son of Steinbrenner 11-18-2003 12:39 PM

Quote:

i agree with you to speculate on an injury is more than wrong. if this was baseball the players union would be all over that comment. i hate to disagree with a 4 time Stanley cup champion and the architect of the greatest team in hockey history but sather is wrong on this one.

barnaby63 11-18-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jar jar links
i agree with you to speculate on an injury is more than wrong. if this was baseball the players union would be all over that comment. i hate to disagree with a 4 time Stanley cup champion and the architect of the greatest team in hockey history but sather is wrong on this one.

i know what it is, you are just playing along with the rest of the crowd. cause no way anyone likes to take abuse constantly like you do but you keep coming back making some very questionable statements(according to others) cause you know it will get them pissed. are you related to pasha?

Son of Steinbrenner 11-18-2003 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby63
i know what it is, you are just playing along with the rest of the crowd. cause no way anyone likes to take abuse constantly like you do but you keep coming back making some very questionable statements(according to others) cause you know it will get them pissed. are you related to pasha?

no i think its wrong of anybody to speculate on an injury. i had a heated debate with jr about this when lindros went down. its wrong and for sather to say "I can't theorize on what happened," Sather said. "I could use the magic word - psychosomatic - but if a guy tells you he's hurt, he's hurt."
if sather thinks this thats fine but to say this to the media for the world to read is awful plain and simple.

ping 11-18-2003 07:53 PM

Any word how long he'll be out of the lineup? Anyone have the scoop as to if he'll play the next game?

#37-#93-#27* 11-18-2003 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JovOhlund
Any word how long he'll be out of the lineup? Anyone have the scoop as to if he'll play the next game?

I think he's out next game as well, I forgot exactly what they said on TV but I thought I heard 2 games.