HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   General Fantasy Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Staal... Semin worthy? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=290714)

da_pope* 09-18-2006 10:57 PM

Staal... Semin worthy?

???

Just got that proposal and I was wonderin' what kinda points he could put up and if it'd be worth making that trade?

Bird Law 09-18-2006 11:13 PM

Well, if your'e only going on points, I'd take Semin in a heartbeat. I don't think that Staal will be playing this year, either.

Semin paired with Ovechkin will make for a magical pair, IMHO.

I would take Staal over Semin as an NHL GM, but not as a fantasy GM.

FLYLine24* 09-18-2006 11:17 PM

Oh god.....easily easily easily Semin. Like JP said its doubtful Staal will even be with the Rangers this year, and even if he is...I see Semin getting a hell of a lot more points then him, especially playing with Ovechkin on the PP.

BTW im assuming this is a 1 year, yahoo team your talking about which is mostly based on points.

in the hall 09-18-2006 11:22 PM

agreed with the comment NHL GM vs Fantasy GM.. Semin is just going to rack up points, Staal's value is not going to be points, its going to be everything he brings as a NHL defensemen, intangibles included

n8 09-19-2006 03:14 AM

that must make who ever their center is the big sleeper pick. looking at their lineup, they don't look so bad. after AO & Semin, they have Zubrus and Zednik. Pettinger and Clark. Brashaer and Clymer. Good thing they don't have much down the middle or on D.

Heat McManus 09-19-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall (Post 6520155)
agreed with the comment NHL GM vs Fantasy GM.. Semin is just going to rack up points, Staal's value is not going to be points, its going to be everything he brings as a NHL defensemen, intangibles included

Well said.

CM Lundqvist 09-19-2006 10:52 AM

Yeah, the NHL GM vs Fantasy GM sums it up.

There is no way I do this trade as an NHL gm. Semin, although very talented is a one-dimensional player with no desire whatsoever to play in the defensive zone, while Staal has the makings of a future all-star #1 defender. Although Staal's offensive numbers won't be the greatest, this guy is the type of guy that can win championships based upon his intangibles and smarts alone. He's also shown the ability to raise his play in key situations at such an early age... not something you see very often from young defenders.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Semin, and as a fantasy gm, by default because Staal probably won't be playing this season, I'd take Semin in a heartbeat in a one-year league.

But if I'm giving up Staal, I want a young defender in return, not a soft, one-dimensional winger.

Bluenote13 09-19-2006 01:28 PM

Enough, be gone with your fantasy talk !

:darth:

xander 09-19-2006 02:13 PM

i just wanted to chime in and say that the title of this thread is fantastic:)

Kendo 09-19-2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander (Post 6524257)
i just wanted to chime in and say that the title of this thread is fantastic:)

i just shot some beer out of my nose, thanks!

Langway 09-19-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8 (Post 6520844)
that must make who ever their center is the big sleeper pick. looking at their lineup, they don't look so bad. after AO & Semin, they have Zubrus and Zednik. Pettinger and Clark. Brashaer and Clymer. Good thing they don't have much down the middle or on D.

That'd be Zubrus. Zubrus looks to center AO and Semin, Beech to center Pettinger and Zednik. This is Beech's last shot at making it in the NHL and he's played pretty decently thus far during camp. After his prolific scoring in the AHL last year, maybe this is the year he shows he has what it takes to stick in the NHL.

Clymer looks like he'll be moving back to defense, likely being paired with Eminger. Morrisonn will be with Pothier 5-on-5 and Green with Heward or Erskine.

EspOrrsito 09-19-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendo (Post 6526562)
i just shot some beer out of my nose, thanks!

:biglaugh: