HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Opening night line predictions... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=291203)

Taz#24 09-20-2006 10:22 AM

Opening night line predictions...

I am thinking...

TENKRAT goes down considering his play thus far, however MM, Mark MOWERS has me thinking TT, Tim TAYLOR and he may force PRIMEAU to fourth line center or even to be traded away (considering his 1.125 per and pending UFA status, maybe as part of a package involving a top six forward)
STASTNY looks like he wants a fourth line role and he is earning it so far.
KESSEL, KALUS and LASHOFF, all look like solid bets to make the club. Considering this, a trade involving a top six forward (MURRAY or STURM) may be forthcoming if these guys continue to impress. I see these 12 fowards with legit shots at making the club right now...BERGERON, BOYES, SAVARD, STURM, MURRAY, KESSEL, KALUS, PRIMEAU, AXELSSON, DONOVAN, MOWERS and STASTNY. TENKRAT, HOGGAN and KARSUMS all have 50/50 shots but none have earned a penciled in position yet. TENKRAT being a disappointment so far, HOGGAN is a bubble guy anyway and KARSUMS may need some seasoning. Obviously, both KARSUMS and HOGGAN have a much better shot at fourth line duty if a top six forward is traded.

On D, Jason YORK looks to be the perfect 7th/depth D-man, with 1-6 as CHARA, B. STUART, MARA, JURCINA, ALBERTS and probably LASHOFF as #6 (alternating with YORK for now, pending the return on M. STUART). BROOKBANK shouldn't see much NHL time and DEMPSEY will get the odd call-up in case of injury.

Best case scenario...Glen MURRAY gets dealt for a draft pick/prospect...A move like this would free up $$$ for STURM/STUART or both and it creates a clear cut top six of...
BOYES-BERGERON-KALUS
STURM-SAVARD-KESSEL
AXELSSON-PRIMEAU-DONOVAN
STASTNY-MOWERS-(KARSUMS/HOGGAN/TENKRAT)

CHARA-MARA
B. STUART-JURCINA
ALBERTS-(YORK/LASHOFF)
M. STUART***

THOMAS
TOIVONEN

CombatOnContact 09-20-2006 10:50 AM

I think its best for Boston not to make any trades prior to opening night. I've given Murray a pretty hard time in the past, especially last season, but I think he might be a good fit on this team. He has a clean slate and he is very much a veteran leader now. He showed last night that he is willing to stick his nose in and get gritty. I have a feeling he will prove to be quite valuable this season. Someone posted in another thread about keeping duos together and spreading out the scoring similar to previous Red Wing teams under Dave Lewis. I like that idea and think the Bruins would be a strong team with a lineup modeled the same way.

Sturm-Savard-Murray
Kessel-Bergeron-Boyes
Axelsson-Stastny-Kalus
Mowers-Primeau-Donovan

B.Stuart-Chara
Mara-Alberts
Jurcina-York

Thomas
Toivonen

OntheBorder555 09-20-2006 11:13 AM

Kessel?

Can we pretty much all agree at this point that Kessel has made the big club this year? I mean he certainly didnt look out of place in the game last night. And playing against a fast canadiens team is not easy task.

I just want to make sure because I will definitley be buying my Kessel jersey very soon!

CombatOnContact 09-20-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OntheBorder555 (Post 6532856)
Can we pretty much all agree at this point that Kessel has made the big club this year? I mean he certainly didnt look out of place in the game last night. And playing against a fast canadiens team is not easy task.

I just want to make sure because I will definitley be buying my Kessel jersey very soon!

I think its safe to say that Kessel will at least start the season in Boston. Whether or not he's there at the end of the year would obviously depend on his play in comparison to his competition, namely Kalus and Karsums. I only saw highlights from last nights game, but reading through the threads it seemed that most were pretty impressed with Kessel's play. Montreal might not have had their full team, but they did have quite a few NHL regulars including their savior in goal Christobal Huet. I'm sure Kessel will play in the most of the remaining exhibition games and start the season on the wing on one of the top 2 lines. That's just my inkling.

GloryDaze4877 09-20-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CombatOnContact (Post 6532728)
I think its best for Boston not to make any trades prior to opening night. I've given Murray a pretty hard time in the past, especially last season, but I think he might be a good fit on this team. He has a clean slate and he is very much a veteran leader now. He showed last night that he is willing to stick his nose in and get gritty. I have a feeling he will prove to be quite valuable this season. Someone posted in another thread about keeping duos together and spreading out the scoring similar to previous Red Wing teams under Dave Lewis. I like that idea and think the Bruins would be a strong team with a lineup modeled the same way.

Sturm-Savard-Murray
Kessel-Bergeron-Boyes
Axelsson-Stastny-Kalus
Mowers-Primeau-Donovan

B.Stuart-Chara
Mara-Alberts
Jurcina-York

Thomas
Toivonen

I could see the B's doing that...but I would switch Mowers and Stastny. Mowers has shown a little bit of offensive ability, and looks like he is a VERY good face-off guy.

Only issue with that is...Lewis did make a specific reference to the "pairs of forwards" setup and that is what he did w/DET in the past????

I have no idea what direction they would go if they did that?

Maybe?:

Bergeron-Boyes (Kalus?)

Savard-Murray (PJ?)

Kessel-Sturm (Donovan or Mowers?)

Checking: Primeau-Stastny-(Donovan or Mowers?)

That way you have a defensive/grinder on each line...no lines w/more than one rookie...but you may have "watered down" the offensive talent too much?? (I know that Gorton specifically mentioned that the B's would love to see Kessel with a vet like Sturm because of the speed/mismatches)

Thoughts??

dabid 09-20-2006 01:32 PM

I dont think Kalus will be playing in the NHL this year, let alone the 1st line IMO

chippa13* 09-20-2006 03:10 PM

Say, what is this other older thread about that's barely half way down the page?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=290832

JoeIsAStud 09-20-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reej (Post 6533982)
I dont think Kalus will be playing in the NHL this year, let alone the 1st line IMO

I haven't heard a single comment from anyone associated with the team, or even anyone who has watched camp that indicates Kalus is out of his league at this point. Basically almost any comment you read seems to indicate that almost everyone who has seen him play views him as an NHL caliber player this year, and potentially a good NHL caliber player.

He could fall apart over the next 10 days, but right now I would be extremely surprised if Kalus is not in the opening night lineup

13Hockey 09-20-2006 04:42 PM

Kessel Bergeron Boyes
Sturm Savard Murray
Axelsson Mowers Donovan
Kalus Primeau Stastny

Chara Jurcina
B. Stuart Mara
Lashoff Alberts

Hannu
Timmy

Bruinator 09-20-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz#24 (Post 6532581)
I am thinking...

TENKRAT goes down considering his play thus far, however MM, Mark MOWERS has me thinking TT, Tim TAYLOR and he may force PRIMEAU to fourth line center or even to be traded away (considering his 1.125 per and pending UFA status, maybe as part of a package involving a top six forward)
STASTNY looks like he wants a fourth line role and he is earning it so far.
KESSEL, KALUS and LASHOFF, all look like solid bets to make the club. Considering this, a trade involving a top six forward (MURRAY or STURM) may be forthcoming if these guys continue to impress. I see these 12 fowards with legit shots at making the club right now...BERGERON, BOYES, SAVARD, STURM, MURRAY, KESSEL, KALUS, PRIMEAU, AXELSSON, DONOVAN, MOWERS and STASTNY. TENKRAT, HOGGAN and KARSUMS all have 50/50 shots but none have earned a penciled in position yet. TENKRAT being a disappointment so far, HOGGAN is a bubble guy anyway and KARSUMS may need some seasoning. Obviously, both KARSUMS and HOGGAN have a much better shot at fourth line duty if a top six forward is traded.

On D, Jason YORK looks to be the perfect 7th/depth D-man, with 1-6 as CHARA, B. STUART, MARA, JURCINA, ALBERTS and probably LASHOFF as #6 (alternating with YORK for now, pending the return on M. STUART). BROOKBANK shouldn't see much NHL time and DEMPSEY will get the odd call-up in case of injury.

Best case scenario...Glen MURRAY gets dealt for a draft pick/prospect...A move like this would free up $$$ for STURM/STUART or both and it creates a clear cut top six of...
BOYES-BERGERON-KALUS
STURM-SAVARD-KESSEL
AXELSSON-PRIMEAU-DONOVAN
STASTNY-MOWERS-(KARSUMS/HOGGAN/TENKRAT)
CHARA-MARA
B. STUART-JURCINA
ALBERTS-(YORK/LASHOFF)
M. STUART***

THOMAS
TOIVONEN

Murray is not going to be traded. Can we please give this a rest. Savard was brought in for the sole purpose of setting him up. If Murray gets back up to 35-40 goals this year, which he is likely to do with Savard setting him up, then his 4 million dollar price tag is not that high by comparison around the league right now. No way Karsums or Kalus are going to pot 40 goals this year, no matter how good they look in camp. The team is comfortably under the cap. There will be no more trades before the season starts. And do you really want to trade Sturm. I think you are expecting way too much out of Kalus for this season. No need to rush him. There will be injuries this season. It is imparitive to have guys like him ready to step in when needed. This is something we didn't have last year and we all know how that panned out.

Bruinator 09-20-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcosturm16 (Post 6535840)
Kessel Bergeron Boyes
Sturm Savard Murray
Axelsson Mowers Donovan
Kalus Primeau Stastny

Chara Jurcina
B. Stuart Mara
Lashoff Alberts

Hannu
Timmy

The only point I might argue is Lashoff. I would prefer to start him in Providence and let him develop there, rather than give him limited ice time here. I think your forwards are bang on though. I wouldn't be scared to put any of those 4 lines on the ice.

BubbaBoot 09-20-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CombatOnContact (Post 6532728)

It was almost instantaneous after Joe left that Murray showed this grittier play. I was impressed actually that a) he had it in him and b) he transitioned as quickly as he did.

dabid 09-20-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud (Post 6535610)
I haven't heard a single comment from anyone associated with the team, or even anyone who has watched camp that indicates Kalus is out of his league at this point. Basically almost any comment you read seems to indicate that almost everyone who has seen him play views him as an NHL caliber player this year, and potentially a good NHL caliber player.

He could fall apart over the next 10 days, but right now I would be extremely surprised if Kalus is not in the opening night lineup

Not 1st line though

since76 09-20-2006 06:31 PM

kessel

Habs reporter was really impress by kessel yesterday...they said he WILL be in bruins uniform this year:yo:

WBC8 09-20-2006 06:59 PM

Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Sturm-Savard-Murray
Axelsson-Kessel-Donovan
Mowers-Primeau-Brookbank

Chara-Alberts
Stuart-Jurcina
Mara-York

Toivonen-Thomas

neelynugs 09-20-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 (Post 6537336)
Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Sturm-Savard-Murray
Axelsson-Kessel-Donovan
Mowers-Primeau-Brookbank

Chara-Alberts
Stuart-Jurcina
Mara-York

Toivonen-Thomas

not bad lou - i'd put stastny (or even hoggan) in brookbank's spot though.

WBC8 09-20-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs (Post 6537463)
not bad lou - i'd put stastny (or even hoggan) in brookbank's spot though.

I know....I try desperately to contain the goon in me, but it inevitably it comes out...

GloryDaze4877 09-20-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Sturm-Savard-Murray
Axelsson-Kessel-Donovan
Mowers-Primeau-Brookbank

Chara-Alberts
Stuart-Jurcina
Mara-York

Toivonen-Thomas

I see where you are going with this...but Kessel between PJ and Dono? That's like giving Michaelangelo Crayolas instead of brushes and paint????

veronesepk 09-20-2006 09:37 PM

Preds fan here - Congrats on Kessel. I think he's gonna have an amazing year (and career) with you guys.

CombatOnContact 09-20-2006 09:46 PM

I think Lewis has a lot of room to play around. These lines would be interesting too...

Boyes-Bergeron-Murray
Sturm-Savard-Kessel
Axelsson-Stastny-Donovan
Kalus-Primeau-Mowers

B.Stuart-Chara
Mara-Alberts
Dempsey-Jurcina

A Wink 09-20-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 (Post 6539436)
I see where you are going with this...but Kessel between PJ and Dono? That's like giving Michaelangelo Crayolas instead of brushes and paint????

:biglaugh: thats funny hahaha

Gary 09-20-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Kalus-Bergeron-Boyes
Sturm-Savard-Murray
Axelsson-Kessel-Donovan
Mowers-Primeau-Brookbank

Chara-Alberts
Stuart-Jurcina
Mara-York

Toivonen-Thomas

Switch Kessel and Kalus and you got my vote. BTW-Love your idea with the D-man. One stud on every line. And I'd play them damn near equal minutes too. Just to see how it goes, cause if it worked come playoff time our 'd' would have ALOT left in the tank that most others would'nt. Ask Carolina how that worked for them...

GloryDaze4877 09-21-2006 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 6540739)
Switch Kessel and Kalus and you got my vote. BTW-Love your idea with the D-man. One stud on every line. And I'd play them damn near equal minutes too. Just to see how it goes, cause if it worked come playoff time our 'd' would have ALOT left in the tank that most others would'nt. Ask Carolina how that worked for them...

Cannot put Kalus at center...he's a wing. It was posted in another thread yesterday that many sites have him listed as C/W, but he (Kalus) said that is incorrect.

WBC8 09-21-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 (Post 6539436)

Just trying to keep Kalus and Kessel in the starting lineup..Hey, we have too much talent....hehe:)

GloryDaze4877 09-21-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 (Post 6541634)
Just trying to keep Kalus and Kessel in the starting lineup..Hey, we have too much talent....hehe:)

If we had one more talented O guy...we could defintely roll 3 scoring lines.

I would like to see Kessel and Sturm together...

Kalus-Berg-Boyes

PJ-Savard-Murray

Sturm-Mowers-Kessel

Stastny-Primeau-Donovan

If Mowers continues to play well...we actually COULD roll 3 scoring lines now???????