HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kopitar Article from Today's LA Times (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=291239)

ILuvLA 09-20-2006 12:07 PM

Kopitar Article from Today's LA Times
 
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true

deano 09-20-2006 01:59 PM

I love watching this kid play. Early reports were comparing him to Sundin, but I see more Forsberg in him than anything else. He doesn't have the power of a Forsberg yet, but there are many similarities to his style of play. Does anyone else feel the same, or do you have a better comparison?

riseandfall9 09-20-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano (Post 6534269)
I love watching this kid play. Early reports were comparing him to Sundin, but I see more Forsberg in him than anything else. He doesn't have the power of a Forsberg yet, but there are many similarities to his style of play. Does anyone else feel the same, or do you have a better comparison?

Kopitar is on the ropes for me, I cant really put a certain player on him but hes damn good. O`Sullivan is a spitting image of Daniel Alfredsson, from the way he skates...to the way he holds his stick....to the way he shoots all the way down the line lol. They gonna be really good in 2 years man.

Sam 09-20-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano (Post 6534269)
I love watching this kid play. Early reports were comparing him to Sundin, but I see more Forsberg in him than anything else. He doesn't have the power of a Forsberg yet, but there are many similarities to his style of play. Does anyone else feel the same, or do you have a better comparison?

I'm not sure who I would compare Kopitar to at the moment but it wouldn't be Forsberg. Kopitar doesn't hit anyone.

Puck U 09-20-2006 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 6534500)
I'm not sure who I would compare Kopitar to at the moment but it wouldn't be Forsberg. Kopitar doesn't FLOP and DIVE, plus Kopitar still has his spleen.

There, fixed it for you :sarcasm: ;)

TubbyTerrion* 09-20-2006 02:34 PM

I'm just praying for 20 minutes a game in Manchester rather than 7-10 here in LA.

Osprey 09-20-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion (Post 6534665)
I'm just praying for 20 minutes a game in Manchester rather than 7-10 here in LA.

No one but 4th-liners will get 7-10 mins. Kopitar will get a lot more than that in LA, especially if he ends up as 2nd-line center (the position that he's being groomed for, playing with Frolov and all).

nikolai19 09-20-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion (Post 6534665)
I'm just praying for 20 minutes a game in Manchester rather than 7-10 here in LA.

What if he was able to get 15-20 minutes a night playing on the 2nd line for the first 5 games until McCauley comes back?

Or what if he lights the world on fire and gets 15-20 minutes a game, McCauley comes back moves to the third line (where he has played most of his career), Belanger centers the 4th line and they move Armstrong to a wind.

I mostly agree with you TT in regards to having him play in Manchester but I guess Kings brass may have to face the fact that based on what they have seen in camp so far, this guy is the 2nd best center they have. I don't know if it leaves them much choice unless they want to start to tank the season on October 6th and have Armstrong fill in for McCauley until he gets back.

I have no idea if Crawford is just mentoring this team and biding his time or if some of these guys think "This team can make the playoffs."

I mean, did anyone have Buffalo to do THAT well last year, with Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and the likes. I'm not saying LA is going to be that, but what if Kopitar is the real deal and is ready like Malkin (or even 75% of what Malkin has, which is 80% better than the rest of the league)?

I think there are some very tough decisions ahead. Hell, at this point, Matt Moulson could be playing in Anaheim on October 6th.

Venom_17 09-20-2006 05:25 PM

How is Anze's English? Does anyone know?

kingsfan25 09-20-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17 (Post 6536145)
How is Anze's English? Does anyone know?

Apparently it's very good.

Beauty, eh? 09-20-2006 05:27 PM

I thought Kopitar was easily the best Kings forward out there last night.

Josh Deitell 09-20-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riseandfall9 (Post 6534409)
Kopitar is on the ropes for me, I cant really put a certain player on him but hes damn good. O`Sullivan is a spitting image of Daniel Alfredsson, from the way he skates...to the way he holds his stick....to the way he shoots all the way down the line lol. They gonna be really good in 2 years man.

Pretty weird, O'Sullivan looks like Alfredsson and the general draft consensus on Kopitar was that he'd end up a more defensively responsible Dany Heatley. Spezza anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17 (Post 6536145)
How is Anze's English? Does anyone know?

From what I've read, it's perfect. Slovenian schools teach English as a primary language I believe.

slovenija 09-20-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaelWho (Post 6536231)
Pretty weird, O'Sullivan looks like Alfredsson and the general draft consensus on Kopitar was that he'd end up a more defensively responsible Dany Heatley. Spezza anyone?



From what I've read, it's perfect. Slovenian schools teach English as a primary language I believe.

and his mother is an English teacher.

ibleedkings 09-20-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? (Post 6536172)
I thought Kopitar was easily the best Kings forward out there last night.

concur

R0CKET 09-20-2006 06:34 PM

He reminds me of Ron Francis, very solid and very smart with the puck.

Fripp 09-20-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck U (Post 6534657)
There, fixed it for you :sarcasm: ;)

I rofl'd :)

riseandfall9 09-20-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17 (Post 6536145)
How is Anze's English? Does anyone know?

He speaks english like an American. If you didnt know who he was and you saw him in the elevator, you would never think he was from another country. Very very good english :D

Venom_17 09-20-2006 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riseandfall9 (Post 6540742)
He speaks english like an American. If you didnt know who he was and you saw him in the elevator, you would never think he was from another country. Very very good english :D

That's good...that will make the NA transition so much easier than a guy like Malkin might face (at least off the ice).

DiehardKingsFan 09-20-2006 11:57 PM

I sure hope Anze makes the cut to start the season

ExplosionsintheGine 09-21-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19 (Post 6535968)
What if he was able to get 15-20 minutes a night playing on the 2nd line for the first 5 games until McCauley comes back?

Or what if he lights the world on fire and gets 15-20 minutes a game, McCauley comes back moves to the third line (where he has played most of his career), Belanger centers the 4th line and they move Armstrong to a wind.

I mostly agree with you TT in regards to having him play in Manchester but I guess Kings brass may have to face the fact that based on what they have seen in camp so far, this guy is the 2nd best center they have. I don't know if it leaves them much choice unless they want to start to tank the season on October 6th and have Armstrong fill in for McCauley until he gets back.

I have no idea if Crawford is just mentoring this team and biding his time or if some of these guys think "This team can make the playoffs."

I mean, did anyone have Buffalo to do THAT well last year, with Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and the likes. I'm not saying LA is going to be that, but what if Kopitar is the real deal and is ready like Malkin (or even 75% of what Malkin has, which is 80% better than the rest of the league)?

I think there are some very tough decisions ahead. Hell, at this point, Matt Moulson could be playing in Anaheim on October 6th.

I have been saying this for a while.

King'sPawn 09-21-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17 (Post 6536145)
How is Anze's English? Does anyone know?

I didn't speak with him too much, but his English seemed fine to me.

Brodie562 09-21-2006 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikolai19 (Post 6535968)
What if he was able to get 15-20 minutes a night playing on the 2nd line for the first 5 games until McCauley comes back?

Or what if he lights the world on fire and gets 15-20 minutes a game, McCauley comes back moves to the third line (where he has played most of his career), Belanger centers the 4th line and they move Armstrong to a wind.

I mostly agree with you TT in regards to having him play in Manchester but I guess Kings brass may have to face the fact that based on what they have seen in camp so far, this guy is the 2nd best center they have. I don't know if it leaves them much choice unless they want to start to tank the season on October 6th and have Armstrong fill in for McCauley until he gets back.

I have no idea if Crawford is just mentoring this team and biding his time or if some of these guys think "This team can make the playoffs."

I mean, did anyone have Buffalo to do THAT well last year, with Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and the likes. I'm not saying LA is going to be that, but what if Kopitar is the real deal and is ready like Malkin (or even 75% of what Malkin has, which is 80% better than the rest of the league)?

I think there are some very tough decisions ahead. Hell, at this point, Matt Moulson could be playing in Anaheim on October 6th.


:clap:

Wow that was nice to read.

johnjm22 09-21-2006 12:09 PM

It seems to be the general consensus around here that Sully is ready for the NHL. If he is, then I don't see how Kopitar isn't. After watching the game on Tuesday night it was pretty clear the AK is more developed then PO.

He wasn't dominant or anything, but he didn't do anything bad. He seems pretty well rounded, and it's hard to find any weakness in his game. I also liked his defensive play. Him and Fro together make quite a combo defensivly speaking. They do a good job of using their reach to break up plays, clog up the opposition's passing lanes, and generally make it difficult for the other team to get anything going. The fact that the King's lost 3-1 and both AK and AF were +1 is evidence of that.

Beauty, eh? 09-21-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 6543730)
It seems to be the general consensus around here that Sully is ready for the NHL. If he is, then I don't see how Kopitar isn't. After watching the game on Tuesday night it was pretty clear the AK is more developed then PO.

He wasn't dominant or anything, but he didn't do anything bad. He seems pretty well rounded, and it's hard to find any weakness in his game. I also liked his defensive play. Him and Fro together make quite a combo defensivly speaking. They do a good job of using their reach to break up plays, clog up the opposition's passing lanes, and generally make it difficult for the other team to get anything going. The fact that the King's lost 3-1 and both AK and AF were +1 is evidence of that.

Great post - I agree 100%.

nikolai19 09-21-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 6543730)
It seems to be the general consensus around here that Sully is ready for the NHL. If he is, then I don't see how Kopitar isn't. After watching the game on Tuesday night it was pretty clear the AK is more developed then PO.

He wasn't dominant or anything, but he didn't do anything bad. He seems pretty well rounded, and it's hard to find any weakness in his game. I also liked his defensive play. Him and Fro together make quite a combo defensivly speaking. They do a good job of using their reach to break up plays, clog up the opposition's passing lanes, and generally make it difficult for the other team to get anything going. The fact that the King's lost 3-1 and both AK and AF were +1 is evidence of that.

Very good post.
At this point, the Kings don't have much of a choice not to keep these guys up. One will probably drop when Alyn comes back, but who knows?

I guess there are worse problems to have...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.