HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   what's up with Roman Malek? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29152)

Johnny Danger 11-18-2003 09:42 AM

what's up with Roman Malek?

how long will he stay in europe?

GoneFullHextall 11-18-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
how long will he stay in europe?

as long as his demands are a one way contract. .ie he cant be sent to the Phantoms then he stays in Europe. I believe that was the only reason he isnt here now. Once again an agent giving someone bad advice.

Dr Love 11-18-2003 09:56 AM

He could be sent to the Phantoms. He just wants to get paid all his money if he does. Clarke doesn't want to pay him NHL money to goaltend in the AHL. From the comments Clarke made over the summer I get the impression that Clarke doesn't seem him as anything more than an AHL goalie. I can't really blame the guy for asking to be compensated for picking up his whole life to move to the other side of the world and then be told he's going to play in the minors.

GoneFullHextall 11-18-2003 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
He could be sent to the Phantoms. He just wants to get paid all his money if he does. Clarke doesn't want to pay him NHL money to goaltend in the AHL. From the comments Clarke made over the summer I get the impression that Clarke doesn't seem him as anything more than an AHL goalie. I can't really blame the guy for asking to be compensated for picking up his whole life to move to the other side of the world and then be told he's going to play in the minors.

If thats all Clarke thinks hes is then why dont we just deal him then?

V for Voodoo 11-18-2003 08:54 PM

I recall Malek making some comments about regretting not having signed a contract this past summer, even if it was a two way contract. Hopefully he still feels that way next summer.

Johnny Danger 11-18-2003 09:53 PM

i thought he signed a contract this summer?! :dunno:

Cuiff 11-19-2003 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
i thought he signed a contract this summer?! :dunno:

Nope....His agent would only accept a one way contract

Rails 11-19-2003 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Nope....His agent would only accept a one way contract

Who is his agent? Isn't it the same guy that represents Cechmanek?

Whinks 11-19-2003 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagne
Who is his agent? Isn't it the same guy that represents Cechmanek?

I think its former Flyer Petr Svoboda. If its him, its the same agent as Cechmanek.

FlyersFan 11-19-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whinks
I think its former Flyer Petr Svoboda. If its him, its the same agent as Cechmanek.

and lets not forget Jiri Dopita.

Rails 11-19-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whinks

Yeah, that guy...he always demands a lot doesn't he?

bobbyboucher24 11-19-2003 03:29 PM

Same name, but I think they're different guys.

Winston Wolf 11-19-2003 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24

Yeah you're right, they aren't the same guys.

RoDu 11-19-2003 06:51 PM

isn't there some kid prospect for someone else by the same name too? I'm thinkin Petr Svoboda is John Smith in Czech

GKJ 11-20-2003 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24

It is a different Petr Svoboda, but he is Czech, and is based out of Edmonton.

MojoJojo 11-21-2003 03:45 AM

Someone translated and posted a Czech interview with Malek this summer, and it was indeed the one way clause which killed the deal. The reason he didnt want to accept a one way deal is because in the event of a lockout, he wanted the option to return to the Czech republic. Another problem is that he is already signed to play for his team back home, so breaking his contract would have been a little sticky.

Personally, I dont see the problem with him not playing for the Phantoms. If he doesn't want to play for the Phantoms, fine. If he sucks, send him back to Europe, the Phantoms are fine without him.

I think a deal could have been worked out if BC was a little more flexible on the one-way clause, lets say a one year deal, a portion of his salary guaranteed with (real) performance bonuses. People have been posting rediculous stuff about how many millions he wanted up front, and how he refused to be a back up. The only article I have seen that suggests numbers, said he was looking for something similar to what Cechmanek got (300K up front). For a team with the resources of the Flyers, that seems a pretty small risk for a guy with his potential.

Of course the real problem is that he is a Czech goalie named Roman.