HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Niinimaa available (old post) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=291804)

Reboot 09-21-2006 10:36 PM

Niinimaa available (old post)

Long time viewer... but never posts... :shakehead

A lot as been said on Dallas having extras defensemens, and Niinimaa will be UFA at the end... (like our top 3)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=291615

but should help us for now... he's reliable... but a price tag of 2,4 mil this year on the cap.

I would think that Perezhogin would be enough in my view since we have all the Kots and Grabovski... but for others, it would be expensive for a pending UFA at the end of this season.

Thoughts.

33Roy33 09-21-2006 10:41 PM

I think Niinima could be had for a very late pick, there is no chance Perez would be offered up to land him. I think I would rather let one of the young guys fighting for spots in camp play then bring over that 2.4mill contract.

maniac 09-21-2006 10:47 PM

no way for perz and 2.4 mill is expensive this would leave us with pretty much no room or flexibility come trade deadline

something will happen during the season with souray markov rivet prob we gona trade souray then sign markov and try and sign rivet if he really wants to stay he wont ask for much or we will just let him go

Raskolnikov76 09-21-2006 10:48 PM

I would pass.

Niinimaa isn't as good as he used to be.

Kirk Muller 09-22-2006 12:20 AM

Niniimaa used to very good in Edmonton. I am not sure what type of player he has become since he moved to LI and Dallas. For one year, he might be worth a shot. Not to sure how he fits in. If he still can play like the player of old, then he definitely is an upgrade over everyone but Markov.

znk 09-22-2006 12:33 AM

Niinimaa is just a shadow of his former self. He'd quickly become a whipping boy here. Pass.

Le Golie 09-22-2006 12:42 AM

Dallas would give up Niinimaa for a 6th round pick. He wouldn't last 10 games as a Hab, especially in your media market. He'd be a lamb in a slaughter.

His availability is not a product of Dallas' great defence... he's available because he's not good enough to make a decent NHL team anymore. He can't beat out Modry, Klemm or Robidas.

Marksman 09-22-2006 02:19 AM

I have a feeling the next moves concerning our defences will be to resolve the three UFA issue. Adding someone like Niinimaa, another UFA next summer, wont help us there.

JMMR 09-22-2006 03:12 AM

YEAH PASS ON Niinimaa.

Is he ufa this year (summer 07) or next year summer (08)

BJCOLLINS 09-22-2006 06:01 AM

Niinimaa is an 8th D for Dallas at 2.5 million, I would rather offer Bonk who would be of more use to the Stars than an #8 D. At 2.4 Bonk and Niinimaa's salaries are a wash...........just a thought.

BLNY 09-22-2006 06:05 AM

No way a warm body goes the other way for Niinnima. His salary is too high as well. He hasn't been the same since he left Edmonton. I still remember his interview after he found out about being traded to Long Island. It tore him apart, and he's not been the same player since. It's too bad, because he was a good defenceman.

Marksman 09-22-2006 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLNY (Post 6549476)
No way a warm body goes the other way for Niinnima. His salary is too high as well. He hasn't been the same since he left Edmonton. I still remember his interview after he found out about being traded to Long Island. It tore him apart, and he's not been the same player since. It's too bad, because he was a good defenceman.

Edmonton was a perfect match for him. Hes a country boy at heart - would like to live in smaller city and being able to make fishing trips without taking airplane.

His last year was ruined with ankle injuries... so if he can remain healthy this year I believe he will do better next season - might not be with Dallas though.

Habs 4 Life 09-22-2006 07:56 AM

We already have Souray,No Thanks

Whitesnake 09-22-2006 07:59 AM

If we go the Dallas route, Klemm or even Robidas are more interesting.....

big_habs_fan 09-22-2006 12:03 PM

I would pass - he costs too much for what he can bring and add to that he is an UFA at season's end. I would be shocked if Gainey & co even considered this.

The CUBE 09-22-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS (Post 6549472)
Niinimaa is an 8th D for Dallas at 2.5 million, I would rather offer Bonk who would be of more use to the Stars than an #8 D. At 2.4 Bonk and Niinimaa's salaries are a wash...........just a thought.

Quite honestly, I think that Bonk is more valuable and effective than Ninimaa would be for the habs.

Team_Spirit 09-22-2006 01:18 PM

If you think Bonk is a disaster , don't go anywhere near Niinimaa. The guy just lost it and isin't good or average at anything , he's below-average in every single category beside maybe his size and experience...

Id rather have Robidas.

Blades 0f Steel 09-22-2006 02:55 PM

I'd just like to take this opportunity to voice my displeasure for Ribs.

toshiro 09-22-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 6549698)
Edmonton was a perfect match for him. Hes a country boy at heart - would like to live in smaller city and being able to make fishing trips without taking airplane.

His last year was ruined with ankle injuries... so if he can remain healthy this year I believe he will do better next season - might not be with Dallas though.

Edmonton has over a million people and growing rapidly. There is no good fishing close.

SerialSeb 09-22-2006 03:10 PM

Like most here

No need to get him.

Lots of rooks that could do just as well. He just isn't the same anymore.

SerialSeb 09-22-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 6552840)
Edmonton has over a million people and growing rapidly. There is no good fishing close.

That's Calgary.

Calgary just passed a million. Not Edmonton.
And they ahve the Banff Park near with great fishing.

montreal 10-02-2006 10:07 AM

sorry had to bump this thread, got a kick out of some comments and thought others would, plus kudos to Reboot for the thread. (maybe he's Gainey and wanted to get a feel for what the fans thought of Niinimaa)! :propeller :silly: :towel: :wg: :monkey:

Rise from the Ashes 10-02-2006 10:11 AM

oh dear... oh oh dear... people were discussing this! WOW

Ross MacLochness 10-02-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladesofSteel (Post 6552764)
I'd just like to take this opportunity to voice my displeasure for Ribs.

LOL.

A thread where no one wants Niniimaa and a random post voicing a displeasure for Ribeiro.

Wierd how that turned out.

C-Saku Koivu MTL 10-02-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 6633408)
(maybe he's Gainey and wanted to get a feel for what the fans thought of Niinimaa)! :propeller :silly: :towel: :wg: :monkey:

Then why did he still made the move after these comments.;)