HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=292049)

Victory Ali* 09-22-2006 02:36 PM

The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen
 
I'm starting this thread to talk about and hype my new favorite Canuck. In the early prospect scrimmage game Hansen scored the only goal. Last night Hansen scored the goal that got the game rolling for the Canucks. Known to be clutch in big games, known to be able to defend himself, and is slowly becoming a fan favorite. A ninth round pick out of Denmark. I give you The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen :bow: . :yo:

Discuss

Sidenote: I submit a name change for Hansen. I say we change Jannick to Lionheart because I'm watching Lionheart right now and I'm pretty sure Jean Claude Van Dam would be a ninth round pick too. Also... you know the whole Hansen's a bad *** thing.

SedinFan* 09-22-2006 02:41 PM

Even when he was selected in the 9th round, I thought it was going to be one of the bigger sleeper picks in recent memory for the Canucks.

He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer....

Victory Ali* 09-27-2006 11:29 PM

The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson :bow: scored again tonight :yo: He's scoring a goal in every game he plays including the original 1-0 scrimmage earlier in camp.

How'd he play? What were the impressions of him? I missed the game so I want to know everything. Details please! :)

Riven 09-27-2006 11:58 PM

"He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer...."

One of the aspects I like about Hansen is that he could break into the NHL as a third or fourth line grinder, even though his eventual upside is a first or second line winger. His grit makes it much easier to bring him into the lineup in a limited way while he adjusts to the big league. I would love to see him get 5-10 games this year on a callup basis.

Riven 09-28-2006 12:01 AM

"The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson"

By the way SCF, not trying to be nasty here, but you might want to correct the spelling on your "new favourite" Canuck. I believe it's Hansen, not Hanson.

Jyrki21 09-28-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleCanucksFan (Post 6552562)
Sidenote: I submit a name change for Hansen. I say we change Jannick to Lionheart because I'm watching Lionheart right now and I'm pretty sure Jean Claude Van Dam would be a ninth round pick too. Also... you know the whole Hansen's a bad *** thing.

Actually, Van Damme played an important role for the Pittsburgh Penguins when he played goal for them during the 1995 Cup Finals against Chicago.




Oh wait a second, that was that crappy movie Sudden Death, not real life. My mistake.

windflare 09-28-2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleCanucksFan (Post 6598251)
The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson :bow: scored again tonight :yo: He's scoring a goal in every game he plays including the original 1-0 scrimmage earlier in camp.

How'd he play? What were the impressions of him? I missed the game so I want to know everything. Details please! :)

You know what? I didn't realize that. That IS pretty awesome. :eek:

sticknrink 09-28-2006 01:14 AM

Hansen for Calder !! :bow:

Whingman 09-28-2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Attack (Post 6552614)
Even when he was selected in the 9th round, I thought it was going to be one of the bigger sleeper picks in recent memory for the Canucks.

He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer....

I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.

Victory Ali* 09-28-2006 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whingman (Post 6598807)
I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.

I know it's pre-season and all...

I missed last night's game and didn't know he played so if he did and didn't score my mistake.

So his upside is anywhere from gritty fourth liner to skill first liner? That's quite a range. I wish there was more info about this kid out there. I've been searching and searching but have been coming up empty. I'd also appreciate seeing some photos of him in action.

You know with the way people are describing him, he sounds a lot like a power forward in the Brendan Shanahan mold. Now I'm not even suggesting that Lionheart Hansen is anywhere near that skill level but so far it sounds like that could be his potential upside. I was really quite skeptical about this kid though, with all the reports we've heard I didn't think his game would translate well to the NHL or that he'd be able to adapt to the pro game so fast. I really didn't think he'd be able to be as physical and as skilled as the reports have indicted. I'd really be interested to hear more about his physical game. But so far so good, I'm digging this kid.

By the way, I say put him in the AHL for a year and let him hone his scoring and top line skills rather than rush him and risk snuffing out that potential in favor of his physical game.

anguscertified 09-28-2006 01:44 AM

I posted this a while ago..

but I was at a Giants/Hawks game last year and I noticed this guy scribbling notes next to me and he was a scout for another 'dub team (I just asked if he was a scout perchance :)). I asked him about Hansen and he quickly replied that Hansen was one of the most NHL-ready Euro's he had seen in a while (he mentioned Andrej Meszaros right after this as well).

Nalyd Psycho 09-28-2006 02:23 AM

Lionheart Hansen, love it!

Shane 09-28-2006 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whingman (Post 6598807)
I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.

Yeah, I remember reading something about that as well. He was ranked higher than the ninth round, but teams passed on him because they didn't think he was willing to come to North America.

windflare 09-28-2006 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Frank (Post 6599007)
Yeah, I remember reading something about that as well. He was ranked higher than the ninth round, but teams passed on him because they didn't think he was willing to come to North America.

From what I read, they were questioning his stats and whether they were inflated because he was playing in a 'lesser league'. I.e. the Danish League.

Guess they weren't quite that bad, eh? ;)

Dr. Nucksfan 09-28-2006 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windflare (Post 6599014)
From what I read, they were questioning his stats and whether they were inflated because he was playing in a 'lesser league'. I.e. the Danish League.

Guess they weren't quite that bad, eh? ;)

The Danes played in the A tourney last spring at the Worlds, for the first time. And they survived (I THINK at the expense of someone like Austria or Italy). Pretty good for an up and coming hockey nation, where there's what? 5 rinks or something goofy like that.

Hansen was probably overlooked by many teams because scouts like to pick players from known hockey leagues and nations. Remember when it was unheard of to have a Swiss player? (Actually, as a 40 year old, I recall the days when Swedes were rare. Borje Salming helped change that. He was tough and needed to be.) Well, now the German and Swiss leagues are alright.

kenito 09-28-2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan (Post 6599061)
The Danes played in the A tourney last spring at the Worlds, for the first time. And they survived (I THINK at the expense of someone like Austria or Italy). Pretty good for an up and coming hockey nation, where there's what? 5 rinks or something goofy like that.

Hansen was probably overlooked by many teams because scouts like to pick players from known hockey leagues and nations. Remember when it was unheard of to have a Swiss player? (Actually, as a 40 year old, I recall the days when Swedes were rare. Borje Salming helped change that. He was tough and needed to be.) Well, now the German and Swiss leagues are alright.

actually Denmark have been in the A group for the last three years. Go hansen

west in the east 09-28-2006 08:51 AM

Id like to see the kid get a few big league games to start the season. If he adjusts well, keep him up.

Spetznaz75 09-28-2006 09:07 AM

Jannik Hansen, a little info
 
A little Info on Jannik Hansen, from a Dane.

Jannik Hansen started his career in Rødovre, Denmark. He broke into the Dansih Elite League in 2003. It was quite obvious that J. Hansen possessed a good shot, netting 12 times in 35 games (he was only 18 back then). The year after he produced 17 goals in 35 games. He was back then a physical player/power forward taken his "small'ish" size in consideration. A very talented forward for Danish measures. Jannik Hansen chose to keep on playing in DK, as he would presumably log a lot of icetime in DK, both in PP and PK. Normally talented Danish players move to Sweden and play in the strong Swedish junior tournament, Hansen never did. Although some Swedish teams were interested in signing him. This could be the reason why he was selected late in draft (ninth round). Had he played in Sweden, I recon he would have been selected a bit earlier.

J. Hansen has played two WC pool A torunaments for DK. The first wasn't a succes, as he got injured in the first game of the torunament (hard check to the boards). The second (this year, 2006) was a succes. He was a physical threat, played nice and "gritty" and scored a beaty against Kazakstan (huge wristshot). After a year in the WHL, he looked really good in the WC, both physical as well as on the offence.

The question could then be, how will Hansen develop over the coming years? Is he gonna develop into a typical third or fourth liner in the NHL and become a grinder/physical threat, or will he play one or two years in the AHL to improve his offensive skills and become a regular goal scorer in the NHL? Since I haven't seen him play in the WHL it is impossible for me to say, but personally I hope he will make the NHL in some time (only the second player in DK history to do so if it happens, first player was Poul Peter Popiel).

A little info about Danish hockey.

There are 18 rinks in DK and roughly around 1000 active players all in all.

Other Danish prospects include Frans Nielsen (Islanders), Kiril Starkov (Columbus BJ).
Kim Staal, 28, was a part of the Predators camp this season, but didn't make the team.

Hope Jannik "Lionheart" Hansen will do fine the coming season

Any question, feel free to mail me.

Nick_Papagiorgio 09-28-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whingman (Post 6598807)
Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.

He only played 9 shifts for a total icetime of 5:46 in that game. No wonder he didn't score. I think that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's scored a goal in each pre-season game in which he was given decent minutes.

It's too bad that Hansen only seems to get his due praise and respect in forums such as this one. This morning's Vancouver Sun seemed to make a point of praising Burrows and Kesler at the exclusion of Hansen (see http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...-dc8ead72dc0e). Is it not possible that the line clicked because of the contributions of all three players? Hansen played a great game, scored 1G 1A, had 5 shots (4 on net), and yet the Sun only mentions Hansen's goal as coming "with three seconds left" (note the dismissive subtext here http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...9a23a19a2&p=2).

Hopefully the game summary on Canucks.com (http://www.canucks.com/news/recaps.a...onID=30&id=623) was written by some "volunteer" because it claims Hansen scored his "first goal" of the pre-season last night against Edmonton (it also repeatedly makes the classic Kessler[sic] misspelling). I guess I shouldn't be surprised--it's Canucks.com afterall.

Still, it makes this thread all the more appreciated. Thanks SCF, I suggested a Jannik Hansen thread a while back. Glad you could make it happen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nick_Papagiorgio 09-28-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_Papagiorgio (Post 6600618)
Hopefully the game summary on Canucks.com (http://www.canucks.com/news/recaps.a...onID=30&id=623) was written by some "volunteer" because it claims Hansen scored his "first goal" of the pre-season last night against Edmonton (it also repeatedly makes the classic Kessler[sic] misspelling). I guess I shouldn't be surprised--it's Canucks.com afterall.

I just checked back and they fixed the article. Now it correctly credits Hansen with his "second goal" of the pre-season. Hasn't fixed Kessler[sic] yet...

Sorry about the Vancouver Sun links not working. I'll try and fix them

Tb0ne 09-28-2006 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info Spetznaz75.

There seems to be quite a few Danish players playing in North American this season (has to be some sort of record?):

-Jannik Hansen (Will probably be assigned to the Manitoba Moose)
-Frans Nielsen (Will probably be assigned to the Bridgeport AHL)
-Kim Staal (I might be mistaken but he was assigned to Nashville's farm team?, aparantly he played quite well in the preseason)
-Morten Madsen (Playing for Victoriaville in the QMJHL, has 11 P in 4 games)
-Kirill Starkov (Playing for Red Deer in the WHL, has 5 P in 3 games)

Question, what is the deal with Peter Regin, is he still considered the better player over Jannik Hansen? and if you had to guess do you think he'll ever come to North America. Just curious because I was suprised he hasn't tried to come over yet.

http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...ead.php?t=2354

After reading that thread, it appears the best of Danish hockey is yet to come.
Also can you tell us anymore about Danish prospects in coming drafts?

Jake 09-28-2006 11:53 AM

I posted a translation of an interview with Jannik Hansen a while back, found here.

I've also wiki'ed a short bio of him here.

:thumbu:

Nick_Papagiorgio 09-28-2006 11:58 AM

I can't fix those invalid URLs. Sorry. You should be able to read the articles at http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...rts/index.html

galiano 09-28-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetznaz75 (Post 6599948)
A little Info on Jannik Hansen, from a Dane.

Jannik Hansen started his career in Rødovre, Denmark. He broke into the Dansih Elite League in 2003. It was quite obvious that J. Hansen possessed a good shot, netting 12 times in 35 games (he was only 18 back then). The year after he produced 17 goals in 35 games. He was back then a physical player/power forward taken his "small'ish" size in consideration. A very talented forward for Danish measures. Jannik Hansen chose to keep on playing in DK, as he would presumably log a lot of icetime in DK, both in PP and PK. Normally talented Danish players move to Sweden and play in the strong Swedish junior tournament, Hansen never did. Although some Swedish teams were interested in signing him. This could be the reason why he was selected late in draft (ninth round). Had he played in Sweden, I recon he would have been selected a bit earlier.

J. Hansen has played two WC pool A torunaments for DK. The first wasn't a succes, as he got injured in the first game of the torunament (hard check to the boards). The second (this year, 2006) was a succes. He was a physical threat, played nice and "gritty" and scored a beaty against Kazakstan (huge wristshot). After a year in the WHL, he looked really good in the WC, both physical as well as on the offence.

The question could then be, how will Hansen develop over the coming years? Is he gonna develop into a typical third or fourth liner in the NHL and become a grinder/physical threat, or will he play one or two years in the AHL to improve his offensive skills and become a regular goal scorer in the NHL? Since I haven't seen him play in the WHL it is impossible for me to say, but personally I hope he will make the NHL in some time (only the second player in DK history to do so if it happens, first player was Poul Peter Popiel).

A little info about Danish hockey.

There are 18 rinks in DK and roughly around 1000 active players all in all.

Other Danish prospects include Frans Nielsen (Islanders), Kiril Starkov (Columbus BJ).
Kim Staal, 28, was a part of the Predators camp this season, but didn't make the team.

Hope Jannik "Lionheart" Hansen will do fine the coming season

Any question, feel free to mail me.


Great report ! Very nice to hear from someone who knows this much about one of our Euro prospects. We are all cheering for the underdog from Denmark.

Jake 09-28-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb0ne (Post 6600733)
Question, what is the deal with Peter Regin, is he still considered the better player over Jannik Hansen? and if you had to guess do you think he'll ever come to North America. Just curious because I was suprised he hasn't tried to come over yet.

Depends on who you ask. At this years Worlds, Regin did play better than Hansen, I think. But that being said, Regin played in the senior Elitleague in Sweden last year, and I don't think he played any junior games at all. Hansen, however, played junior all year in North America, and didn't get to attend Team Denmark's camps during the year (they have quite a lot of icetime together before the Worlds), and perhaps most importantly, was just getting used to more physical play. Regins play is more finessed and speedy, while Hansen plays more gritty, and were used more as a checking forward than a scoring forward.

As to why Regin is not coming over, he's playing on the top lines in Timraa in the Elitleague of Sweden - I guess he thinks that's just as good as playing in the AHL / Juniors.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.