HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ottawa/Phoenix Rumour (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29334)

BigDaddyGarrioch 11-19-2003 04:22 AM

Ottawa/Phoenix Rumour

Todays Ottawa Citizen mentioned a possible deal between the two teams.

Quote:

It's possible veteran defenceman Curtis Leschyshyn could be traded to the Phoenix Coyotes, perhaps in exchange for rugged left-winger Tyson Nash. Phoenix scout Warren Rychel was at the Corel Center to watch Monday's game.

SensGod 11-19-2003 04:59 AM

Throw Bonk and Doan into the mix...then I might be interested. ;)

I think that moving Leshychyn is a mistake personally...he's the only guy on the squad that has won a cup and sacrifices his well being blocking shots in the playoffs...

Move Hnidy if we need to drop a dman.

BigDaddyGarrioch 11-19-2003 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Throw Bonk and Doan into the mix...then I might be interested. ;)

I think that moving Leshychyn is a mistake personally...he's the only guy on the squad that has won a cup and sacrifices his well being blocking shots in the playoffs...

Move Hnidy if we need to drop a dman.

Same boat as you, except, I'd move Pothier. ;)

SensGod 11-19-2003 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyGarrioch
Same boat as you, except, I'd move Pothier. ;)

Pothier? why? he's like a poor man's Redden, and is a Right handed shot. I think the kid's done well this year so far.

BigDaddyGarrioch 11-19-2003 05:19 AM

Quote:

Pothier? why? he's like a poor man's Redden, and is a Right handed shot. I think the kid's done well this year so far.

I think Hnidy has played better thus far. Pothier on the power play is suicide. The guy coughs it up at the line every time he receives a pass. It's like a live grenade.

Leschsyhyn brings far more to the table than Pothier. As you said, he blocks the shots and sacrifices the body during the playoffs. No other Ottawa defenseman does that, with the exception of Rachunek. In the Buffalo game, 18 games into the season, Leschsyhyn drops to the ice and takes a point shot off the bicep.

Pothier mentioned in an interview on the Senators TV show that the defense looks up to Leschsyhyn. They see him as a teacher both on and off the ice. His simplicity to the game is something they try to match. Few of our veteran players are as vocal as he. I'd hate to see him leave.

SensGod 11-19-2003 05:24 AM

Quote:

I'd hate to see him leave.

I completely agree on this! Curtis get pooped on alot by the fans, but he brings so much more to the team than what he does on the ice.

Having Hnidy and Pothier as extra's is good for the team. Hnidy can step in if we need more or a physical presence. Pothier can step in if we need more puck movers.

I am not as down on Pothier as you are I think. Sure he's made alot of gaffes...but suicide on the PP? that's going a little far I'd say. Just take a look at Chara ;)

If I had to keep two of Hnidy, Pothier or Leshychyn...I'd keep Curtis and Pothier at this point in the game. Nothing agains Hnidy...I'm just talking about value here. Physical, borderline goon type dmen that can play the #6 role are a dime a dozen in the league. Young, puck moving, right handed shooting dmen that can play the power play as a #6 role are MUCH harder to find in the league.

LawnDemon 11-19-2003 06:21 AM

BigDaddyGarrioch - that avatar is brilliant. best one i've seen so far. well done.

Guest 11-19-2003 06:32 AM

I don't see it as Leschyshyn makes $2 million a season to Nash's $1.3 million. We're looking to trim another $2 million from our salary by seasons end.

I don't see us dealing Nash already either. But other players possibly.

SensGod 11-19-2003 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I don't see it as Leschyshyn makes $2 million a season to Nash's $1.3 million. We're looking to trim another $2 million from our salary by seasons end.

I don't see us dealing Nash already either. But other players possibly.

other players like who?

we need a LWer that can score and hit.

officeglen 11-19-2003 07:19 AM

Quote:

other players like who?

One might think they are talking about Curtis Leschyshyn ($2M) for Chris Gratton ($2.2M) - while the Sens could pick up Gratton for effectively nothing they probably don't want to increase their salary level by $2.2M, so instead move Leschyshyn and stay within budget. The Coyotes make the deal as they can move Leschyshyn to a team like Toronto closer to the trade deadline. As well, there might be an exchange of a D prospect (to the Sens) for a F prospect, to provide the Sens with some D depth coverage.

Salary from NHLPA:
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...o1.asp?ID=3257
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...o1.asp?ID=2039

TSN profile of Gratton

He can play LW and he can score and hit, but (le gros but) only when he wants to. From the TSN profile:
"Displays a lack of drive from time to time, which drives his coaches crazy. Does not play with enough fire in his belly. Has questionable hockey sense."

Muckler makes this trade so that Jacques Martin fires himself, rather than coach Gratton, Spezza, Neil etc.

Guest 11-19-2003 07:21 AM

Quote:

other players like who?

Well, if you find one, trade him to us, because we are weak on the left side as well...unless you want Brian Savage.

We are not in the market for defense unless we move one, we have 7 NHL guys right now, and 2+ in the minors in Helmer & Wilson as emergency call ups.

Skrymir 11-19-2003 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
One might think they are talking about Curtis Leschyshyn ($2M) for Chris Gratton ($2.2M) - while the Sens could pick up Gratton for effectively nothing they probably don't want to increase their salary level by $2.2M, so instead move Leschyshyn and stay within budget. The Coyotes make the deal as they can move Leschyshyn to a team like Toronto closer to the trade deadline. As well, there might be an exchange of a D prospect (to the Sens) for a F prospect, to provide the Sens with some D depth coverage.

Salary from NHLPA:

TSN profile of Gratton

He can play LW and he can score and hit, but (le gros but) only when he wants to. From the TSN profile:
"Displays a lack of drive from time to time, which drives his coaches crazy. Does not play with enough fire in his belly. Has questionable hockey sense."

Muckler makes this trade so that Jacques Martin fires himself, rather than coach Gratton, Spezza, Neil etc.

Leschyshyn is actually making more than $2 mil after deferring his salary last year. So I don't know if the Coyotes are actually saving any salary here... hell they may even be adding salary. Also from what I understand people in Phoenix are happy with how Gratton is playing right now.

Don't get me wrong I'd be all for the trade if it were possible, I just don't think it is.

Ice Cream Man 11-19-2003 07:32 AM

Quote:

Salary from NHLPA:

TSN profile of Gratton

I highly doubt you'd be able to get Gratton for Leschyshyn.

If that was the case, Gratton wouldn't be a Coyote anymore.

officeglen 11-19-2003 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
I highly doubt you'd be able to get Gratton for Leschyshyn.

If that was the case, Gratton wouldn't be a Coyote anymore.

As Garrioch himself reported on Sunday:
"Phoenix has made it clear they're willing to deal G Sean Burke and C Chris Gratton to anybody who wants to pick up their contracts."

See: Garrioch Article

In a recent game Gratton only had 9 minutes of ice time, and hasn't done much this season. If the Coyotes can't dump his contract directly, they trade him for somebody who they can dump.

eazye 11-19-2003 07:41 AM

What about a Schastlivy plus a 4th for Nash. I think that's fair. Schastlivy has tons of upside and would probably play better in the Western Conference where there's a little less of the hooking, holding and traping. Schastlivy's only downside is he is a perimeter player and not physical. He could be a 20 goal scorer in time though. Ottawa needs Nash's toughness and edge (until Jacques gets a hold of him and turns him into a player that doesn't hit or instigate........example: See Varada).

Other Dave 11-19-2003 07:49 AM

Quote:

I agree, for the reasons stated above and because it would be a terrible betrayal on management's part. Leschyshyn deferred his salary so that the Sens could improve their roster, and I think that he's owed the same loyalty in return, and be allowed to play at least another year with a contender.

Pothier I think is doing fairly well for a player of his limited experience, but boy I wish he'd ice the puck more. The ten or twelve times he does it already per game just doesn't whet my whistle for fast paced hockey.

Other Dave

Hugh Nito I 11-19-2003 08:00 AM

Quote:

Phoenix scout Warren Rychel was at the Corel Center to watch Monday's game.

Sooo, good ol' Rychel is running freely again after last year's fantastic success following the Hordichuk trade?? According to Barnett at the time, the reason for the trade was Rychel's constant nagging about Hordichuk's greatness. 97 PIMs and no points certainly is no bad return for your two top prospects.

If he's after Curtis this time, an equally generous offer is expected!

Ozy_Flame 11-19-2003 08:37 AM

Quote:

"Phoenix has made it clear they're willing to deal G Sean Burke and C Chris Gratton to anybody who wants to pick up their contracts."

See: Garrioch Article

In a recent game Gratton only had 9 minutes of ice time, and hasn't done much this season. If the Coyotes can't dump his contract directly, they trade him for somebody who they can dump.

I don't Phoenix wants a $2 million dollar 7th dman when they can have $2 million dollar 3rd line center.

Guest 11-19-2003 08:50 AM

Why not Nash for Prusek & Emery while we're at it, trading commodities to the Coyotes that they are already overstocked with and don't need.

SensGod 11-19-2003 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave
I agree, for the reasons stated above and because it would be a terrible betrayal on management's part. Leschyshyn deferred his salary so that the Sens could improve their roster, and I think that he's owed the same loyalty in return, and be allowed to play at least another year with a contender.

Oh yeah...and that on top of it...

PhoPhan 11-19-2003 09:51 AM

The Coyotes should have 0 interest in Curtis Leschyshyn right now. There are probably a few guys the Sens have that might interest the Coyotes, but I don't think that Gratton will be dumped given his play this year. He has not found a scoring touch, but has made up for it in other areas. Also, Nash has taken a few bad penalties, but he is the type of gritty pest the Coyotes need. God knows Nazarov won't do anything.

XX 11-19-2003 12:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that doesnt mean for free. (WTF, wheres the roll eyes smiley?)

officeglen 11-19-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XavierX
Yeah, that doesnt mean for free.

Sure it does - the phrasing implies little or nothing in return, as long as the other team picks up their contract. It may not be correct but if it is the implication is clear.

Seedy 11-20-2003 04:45 AM

BigDaddy your avatar is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yo:

V for Voodoo 11-20-2003 05:58 AM

Quote:

I used to advocate keeping leschychyn for the same reason, but I dont think this is the case anymore.
Rachunek has become our best shot blocker, and guys like Redden and especially Phillips really step it up in the playoffs.

I'd say Leschychyn is expendable.