HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Koivu: "Latendresse is too strong for junior hockey" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=293672)

deandebean 09-27-2006 06:57 AM

Koivu: "Latendresse is too strong for junior hockey"
 
After the game, commenting on Latendresse's play, the Habs' captain told reporters that the young gun was ready for NHL action.
"He's too strong for junior hockey, I think it's easy to see." Even though Koivu doesn't want to get into the heated debate about what to do with Latendresse, he sees that the kid has gotten better this season. "He has improved a lot since last season. I don't want to start something here, because I don't know on what they (management) base their judgement on, but on the hockey side of things, he's got the NHL aptitudes already. "

Guys, I took this piece from a La Presse article this morning. I think it merits its own thread, because the captain must have some pull in this team, don't you think?
Edit/Delete Message

vcx* 09-27-2006 07:01 AM

I want to get my #84 Latendresse jersey, Saku make him stay!!

!nkubus 09-27-2006 07:05 AM

Koivu always and a great judgment in my books. So I'm glad that he "likes" what he sees from Latendresse. :)

JackieChan 09-27-2006 07:05 AM

Yesterday Komisarek got his back, and this morning it's Captain Koivu that vouches for him? Furthermore, Bonk and Ribeiro both LOVED playing with him on their wing, it showed, faces don't lie. This is where Guillaume's P.R. will come into play, he's a magnet, fans obviously love him, but now the players themselves jumped on the bandwagon, and that is something Carbo cannot dismiss.

This is also what sets him apart from Kostitsyn, hockey aside.

felixd 09-27-2006 07:08 AM

He'll probably make it if he has Captain K pulling for him.

goalchenyuk 09-27-2006 07:08 AM

Mistake . Not that i disagree with what he said , but two things ; if he knew that the kid is to stay , it's not to him to " announces it " and if Gainey wants to return the kid to junior, well , he's probably furious of that quote :snide:

hey , it's only a mistake , but not soo big by the way ...

Le Tricolore 09-27-2006 07:09 AM

Wow, I didn't think Koivu would come out and say that, potentially speaking out against Coach Carbonneau. I'm really anxious to see what happens.

mcphee 09-27-2006 07:09 AM

The morning guys on 990 spoke of this. It was Francois Gagnon's story ? Quite awhile after the game, he was chatting with Koivu when he said that. Good work by Gagnon to get a quote because meaningful dialogue from Saku is like pulling teeth. He's gone to the 'don't stir it up' school. I think Koivu mentally went, 'oops' after the words came out, wouldn't you think ?

JackieChan 09-27-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6590135)
Good work by Gagnon to get a quote because meaningful dialogue from Saku is like pulling teeth.

Gagnon is becoming my favorite journalist, he doesn't bother asking good, straight to the point questions and getting his nose dirty a little without lacking respect toward the players. He asked Kovalev when he planned turning on the switch, which shook Kovy a little but that's what it took to get the lowdown on his behavior on the ice and to be reassured that he would fire off all cylinders come the season's opening.

Qui Gon Dave 09-27-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieChan (Post 6590120)
This is also what sets him apart from Kostitsyn, hockey aside.

Absolutely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saku Koivu
“The kids really came on strong as the game went on. They came up with two big goals for us and continue to show they are ready to fight to stay here,” said Koivu, who saw Kostitsyn set up his tying goal midway through the third period.

“I think our young guys are going to make things tough on Guy and his final decision won’t be an easy one,” added Koivu. “But even those who will be sent down are definitely going to be called up at some point this year. Having that kind of depth and knowing they can play at this level is absolutely huge for us.”

Link

As for the "hockey aside" comment, the only aspect of Latendresses game that sets him aside from Kostitsyns game is his bigger/more consistant physical play. On the other side, Kostitsyn has a better shot (and range of shots). Both have good hands, can pass, are fast enough to survive the NHL, can take and give hits, etc...

Koivu is just showing his support for all the kids pushing for a place, he isn't gonna turn round and say "those 2 kids over there deserve to be in contention for a spot but that one over there, jeez, why do we still have him around?" He says he doesn't want to do or fully understands managements job but he will show support for any of the young kids. Another reason he is a good captain. As for the battle between Kost/Lats, I'd like to see both get a shot (together/at different times, whatever management can arrange). They both deserve it so far.

Bob Bastards 09-27-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 6590090)
"He has improved a lot since last season. I don't want to start something here, because I don't know on what they (management) base their judgement on, but on the hockey side of things, he's got the NHL aptitudes already."

I like this part of the quote, last year he was not ready, on the gockey point of view but also mentaly.
This year the kid is ready to rock...

Gros Bill 09-27-2006 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6590135)
The morning guys on 990 spoke of this. It was Francois Gagnon's story ? Quite awhile after the game, he was chatting with Koivu when he said that. Good work by Gagnon to get a quote because meaningful dialogue from Saku is like pulling teeth. He's gone to the 'don't stir it up' school. I think Koivu mentally went, 'oops' after the words came out, wouldn't you think ?

That would be Ööps, in finnish. I must say I'm a bit surprised by that quote.

Prendan Brust 09-27-2006 07:19 AM

All that camp is exciting. That logjam at forward is great. I remember the days when Craig Darby, Patrick Poulin and Juha Lind were in our lineup. I'll never complain about that situation. Anyway, It's not as if the kids battling for a spot weren't valuable assets. My bet is that Kostitsyn will be sent to Hamilton, Latendresse given a 10 game stint to see if he can handle the heat. That's the best scenario and IMO Kostitsyn will understand that it isn't anything against him or his abilities but a management move Gainey has to make because we can't afford to lose Perezhogin and trading him now would be a very bad idea because the timing would really lower his value.

Whitesnake 09-27-2006 07:44 AM

Saku spoke, watch for the anti-Latendresse to jump in the bandwagon now.....;)

JMMR 09-27-2006 07:47 AM

Wow I can not believe Koivu said that. Even if he is supporting all of the young kids to come out and say he is hockey ready is quite suprising!

Marksman 09-27-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 6590166)
That would be Ööps, in finnish. I must say I'm a bit surprised by that quote.

Actually its more like hups or oho in finnish.:teach: ;)

I think its just fine Saku speaks his mind and left the door open too saying its not his decision.

Gros Bill 09-27-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 6590277)
Actually its more like hups or oho in finnish.:teach: ;)

lol, I was waiting for a reaction. I just wanted to use the ¨ ;)

mcphee 09-27-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 6590166)
That would be Ööps, in finnish. I must say I'm a bit surprised by that quote.

His comment about 'the hockey side' of things sort of indicates that he assumes everyone knows that it's a business and is managed as such. Fans don't always see it in those terms though, esp. not in this case. He was vocal last year in support of Higgins on a few occasions.

Keep in mind that in praising young players, he's commenting on 3 players all showing that they can contribute, so... Tough calls Bill.

Qui Gon Dave 09-27-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman (Post 6590277)
Actually its more like hups or oho in finnish.:teach: ;)

Really? I thought it was 'perkele'. Guess not. Out of interest, how would you say: "the good Lord Koivu just scored another goal" in Finnish?

Ludo 09-27-2006 07:57 AM

Surprising to say the least. I think they're trying to influence the new coach a bit. Carbo won't be fazed by it though. If he wants Lats, he'll stay, if he doesn't think he's ready he'll be gone Sunday.

I am very happy however to see Koivu speak up on this matter as I am also one that can't wait to see Latendresse play a full season in MTL. I am still shocked this guy didn't go out in the first round! Well done Bob! :bow:

Whitesnake 09-27-2006 08:05 AM

The only thing that he meant was that hockey wise he's too strong. First I wouldn't say that 'cause the best expression would be ''his style is better suited for the pros" but again it means what it means.

But again, Koivu never said that he should stay period 'cause he knows that this is more than just your game, the NHL now has to do with salary cap and other extra-hockey issues.

With the emergence of Kosty now, we might need the money we would give to Lats more for a d-man if they're not satisfied with the Jancevski-Streit #6-#7.

HomaridII 09-27-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean (Post 6590090)
After the game, commenting on Latendresse's play, the Habs' captain told reporters that the young gun was ready for NHL action.
"He's too strong for junior hockey, I think it's easy to see." Even though Koivu doesn't want to get into the heated debate about what to do with Latendresse, he sees that the kid has gotten better this season. "He has improved a lot since last season. I don't want to start something here, because I don't know on what they (management) base their judgement on, but on the hockey side of things, he's got the NHL aptitudes already. "

Guys, I took this piece from a La Presse article this morning. I think it merits its own thread, because the captain must have some pull in this team, don't you think?
Edit/Delete Message

WOW, this really surprises me. Koivu is usually Mr. I am Neutral and I won't give you a quote guy. For him to say this openly to a reporter he must REALLY want Latendresse on the team.

Munchausen 09-27-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6590294)
He was vocal last year in support of Higgins on a few occasions.

So was he with Ryder 2 years ago. I trust his judgement a lot (he'd make a great scout when he retires). When he speaks positively about a kid, it seems not only does this kid make the team, but breaks out offensively as well, on Koivu's wing to boot! :)

Renholder 09-27-2006 08:23 AM

I bet Koivu comes out with a new comment stating that his quotes about latendress where missunderstood and taken out of context. :sarcasm:

varjo 09-27-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 6590300)
Really? I thought it was 'perkele'. Guess not. Out of interest, how would you say: "the good Lord Koivu just scored another goal" in Finnish?

Usually when watching/listening the games I prefer "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" ;)

You know, Finnish language has lots and lots of vowels.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.