HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hello Southern Hockey Fans (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29372)

AL-Canadian 11-19-2003 07:46 AM

Hello Southern Hockey Fans

Hey folks - just a short note to say I've enjoyed reading your posts and have taken to the Preds since moving to Alabama to teach at first U. of Alabama and now at a small school - U. of Montevallo. I'm originally from London, Ontario and played up to the junior B level with the Stratford Cullitons (claim to fame was beating Gretzky's team - Grimsby Nationals, in the Ontario Jr. B championships -- he was SUPER amazing then!! Something like getting points on 28 of the 33 goals they scored in the 6 game series)

I've gotten a great kick out of your Delmore posts and just love hearing about Vokoun, Hartnell and now Zidlicky. Just wish he wasn't so darn impressive this early because I'm in a computer league and our draft is coming up shortly. Not sure he'll be around with my 10th pick in the 1st round. I was hoping to snag him based on info gleened from your posts.

Well done you crazy southern hockey fans.

Mike (an Alabama-Canadian)

triggrman 11-19-2003 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL-Canadian
Hey folks - just a short note to say I've enjoyed reading your posts and have taken to the Preds since moving to Alabama to teach at first U. of Alabama and now at a small school - U. of Montevallo. I'm originally from London, Ontario and played up to the junior B level with the Stratford Cullitons (claim to fame was beating Gretzky's team - Grimsby Nationals, in the Ontario Jr. B championships -- he was SUPER amazing then!! Something like getting points on 28 of the 33 goals they scored in the 6 game series)

I've gotten a great kick out of your Delmore posts and just love hearing about Vokoun, Hartnell and now Zidlicky. Just wish he wasn't so darn impressive this early because I'm in a computer league and our draft is coming up shortly. Not sure he'll be around with my 10th pick in the 1st round. I was hoping to snag him based on info gleened from your posts.

Welcome to the South Mike!

crossxcheck 11-19-2003 08:39 AM

Mike thanks for not telling us how you do it "up there". Not that I've had Canadians do it, but Northerners...every day of my life :dunno: Welcome to the south and enjoy the crazy "80 degrees one day 30 the next" weather. :rolly:

Olaf 11-19-2003 08:43 AM

Welcome Mike....

Enoch 11-19-2003 08:51 AM

Welcome aboard :D

gopreds98 11-19-2003 08:55 AM

Howdy and welcome. Don't let the roadkill scare you. :)

hillbilly 11-19-2003 09:00 AM

welcome to the south! enjoy the preds, also I bet Zidlicky is left for your pick, not many people know about him outside of Nashville IMO

crossxcheck 11-19-2003 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly
welcome to the south! enjoy the preds, also I bet Zidlicky is left for your pick, not many people know about him outside of Nashville IMO

I agree. He's a sleeper for you, Mike. To my knowledge he hasn't even gotten much media coverage for his great year.

AL-Canadian 11-19-2003 09:29 AM

I've been in the south (South and North Carolina, Mississippi [although I'd like to forget that time] and now Alabama) for a number of years now (1986 onward minus two years up north teaching). The folks in my computer hockey league are pretty sharp and Z's 2nd/3rd place in Dmen scoring will definitely get him noticed by the guys in this league.

I love your arena (Gaylord Center). The good lady and I have been to about 4 games there, and I like it more than the Thrashers' arena. Too bad the Leafs aren't still in Maple Leaf Gardens. I'm sure you folks would have enjoyed a road trip up there to see a great city and amazing piece of old-time hockey history.

I haven't posted before because I wanted to get a feel for your group of hockey fans. I've really enjoyed reading your posts/rants and humorous tidbits of information. Keep up the good work.

biscuithead 11-19-2003 10:21 AM

Welcome, "Bamanadian"!

I had a Art instructor in college that came from your school.

darth5 11-19-2003 11:30 AM

Quote:

Mike, since you are not actually FROM Alabama, we can still make those jokes about family trees that don't branch :joker:

Welcome indeed! great to have another Pred fan active. Your perspective and history with the game can be a great asset to keep us even keeled and maybe help with some 'know it alls' that try to spoil the fun for 95% of us posters.

Radulov for Czar* 11-19-2003 12:45 PM

IMO, don't take Zidlicky in the first round. Go for a top notch goalie or a dominant forward. Teemu Selanne will get you more points than Zidlicky, for example. Good luck with your draft and welcome aboard!

AL-Canadian 11-19-2003 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesey
IMO, don't take Zidlicky in the first round. Go for a top notch goalie or a dominant forward. Teemu Selanne will get you more points than Zidlicky, for example. Good luck with your draft and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the advice from a bunch of you. This league has been around and kicking for 13 seasons - 14th is about to begin with an expansion draft and entry draft (where I hope to snag the Zman). My top 4 picks actually would be MA Fleury, A. Hemsky, E. Stall and then Zidlicky. I agree with getting scorers/goalies but I doubt the above 3 guys will still be there.

My team is an expansion team in the league (2 seasons old) but I'm rising fast. I started with Yashin as my only "protected" player and have acquired: Cassels, Damphousse, Deadmarsh (urg that he's injured), Zubrus, HARTNELL, Justin Williams, Visnovsky, Sopel, Skrastins, Potvin, and B.Johnson -- with prospects Nash, Zetterberg and Nurminen in the wings. As you can see, defense is my shortcoming, thus the need for someone like Zidlicky.

My 1st two entry drafts (3 rounds only and in round order) were:
- Visnovsky, Hartnell and Sopel
- Nash, Zetterberg (both 1st rounders) and Nurminen

Quality defense is hard to come by in this league (top notch hockey folks from all over the world - guys from Canada, USA, Russia, Finland are in the league).

I'll do my best to add a 'traditional' hockey prespective without coming on like an expert (which I'm not). I just have a strong love for the game, which I see you folks on the board do as well.

Radulov for Czar* 11-19-2003 04:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice from a bunch of you. This league has been around and kicking for 13 seasons - 14th is about to begin with an expansion draft and entry draft (where I hope to snag the Zman). My top 4 picks actually would be MA Fleury, A. Hemsky, E. Stall and then Zidlicky. I agree with getting scorers/goalies but I doubt the above 3 guys will still be there.

My team is an expansion team in the league (2 seasons old) but I'm rising fast. I started with Yashin as my only "protected" player and have acquired: Cassels, Damphousse, Deadmarsh (urg that he's injured), Zubrus, HARTNELL, Justin Williams, Visnovsky, Sopel, Skrastins, Potvin, and B.Johnson -- with prospects Nash, Zetterberg and Nurminen in the wings. As you can see, defense is my shortcoming, thus the need for someone like Zidlicky.

My 1st two entry drafts (3 rounds only and in round order) were:
- Visnovsky, Hartnell and Sopel
- Nash, Zetterberg (both 1st rounders) and Nurminen

Quality defense is hard to come by in this league (top notch hockey folks from all over the world - guys from Canada, USA, Russia, Finland are in the league).

I'll do my best to add a 'traditional' hockey prespective without coming on like an expert (which I'm not). I just have a strong love for the game, which I see you folks on the board do as well.

I didn't know it was that kind of fantasy league. PM me, I have something that might interest you. Also, Zidlicky would be a good pick at #10 then.

Basher 11-19-2003 07:22 PM

I'd like to get into a "real" fantasy league like that. I'm a bit anal when it comes to my fantasy sports as it is, I might make a decent GM.