HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs' prospects ranking (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=294231)

LePoche69 09-28-2006 05:54 PM

Habs' prospects ranking

just to get something noted...

I remember few weeks ago when Jason Menard posted his up-date ranking of our prospects on HF, a lot of people critic his top 5 selection.

Is it me or in the light of the training camp until now, Jason's ranking seems pretty accurate?

I think that if we're fast enough to pull the trigger on someone's opinion, we should be as fast to mention it when this someone is right...

Fido22 09-28-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 6603361)

I remember few weeks ago when Jason Menard posted his up-date ranking of our prospects on HF, a lot of people critic his top 5 selection.

Is it me or in the light of the training camp until now, Jason's ranking seems pretty accurate?

I think that if we're fast enough to pull the trigger on someone's opinion, we should be as fast to mention it when this someone is right...

What was his ranking?

Dwight 09-28-2006 06:01 PM

1. Guillaume Latendresse, RW

2. Andrei Kostsitsyn, RW

3. Carey Price, G

4. Kyle Chipchura, C

5. Yann Danis, G

6. Mikhail Grabovsky, LW

7. David Fischer, D

8. Sergei Kostsitsyn, LW

9. Alexei Emelin, D

10. Jaroslav Halak, G

11. Juraj Mikus, C

12. Ryan O'Byrne, D

13. Mathieu Aubin, C

14. Chris Heino-Lindberg, G

15. Mathieu Carle, D

16. Ben Maxwell, C

17. Maxim Lapierre, C

18. Matt D'Agostini, RW

19. Oskari Korpikari, D

20. Francis Lemieux, C

This is in response to the poster above

Dan K 09-28-2006 06:01 PM

Umm... A majority of fans around here agreed with the basics of Jason's top 5.

Here is what HFBoard's members voted as our top prospects:
1.) Andrei Kostitsyn
2.) Carey Price
3.) Guillaume Latendresse
4.) Kyle Chipchura
5.) Mikhail Grabovsky
6.) Alexi Emelin
7.) David Fischer
8.) Ryan O'Byrne
9.) Sergei Kostitsyn
10.) Maxim Lapierre
11.) Jaroslav Halak
12.) Matt D'Agostini
13.) Ben Maxwell
14.) Mathieu Carle
15.) Mathieu Aubin
16.) Juraj Mikus
17.) Ryan White
18.) Jonathan Ferland
19.) Corey Locke
20.) Pavel Valentenko
21.) Oskari Korpikari
22.) Chris Heino-Lindberg

And Jason's list:
2. Andrei Kostsitsyn, RW
3. Carey Price, G
4. Kyle Chipchura, C
5. Yann Danis, G
6. Mikhail Grabovsky, LW
7. David Fischer, D
8. Sergei Kostsitsyn, LW
9. Alexei Emelin, D
10. Jaroslav Halak, G
11. Juraj Mikus, C
12. Ryan O'Byrne, D
13. Mathieu Aubin, C
14. Chris Heino-Lindberg, G
15. Mathieu Carle, D
16. Ben Maxwell, C
17. Maxim Lapierre, C
18. Matt D'Agostini, RW
19. Oskari Korpikari, D
20. Francis Lemieux, C

I don't see how this year's camp justified Jason's rankings anymore than those of our posters here at HF.

Price, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse all have had strong camps.

LePoche69 09-28-2006 06:01 PM

Here's the top ten. If you want more, click on Hockey's Future link at the top-lest of this page (by the way, this board is the Hockey's Future one!)

Top Prospects

2. Andrei Kostsitsyn, RW

3. Carey Price, G

4. Kyle Chipchura, C

5. Yann Danis, G

6. Mikhail Grabovsky, LW

7. David Fischer, D

8. Sergei Kostsitsyn, LW

9. Alexei Emelin, D

10. Jaroslav Halak, G

LePoche69 09-28-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu (Post 6603412)
I don't see how this year's camp justified Jason's rankings anymore than those of our posters here at HF.

Price, Kostitsyn, and Latendresse all have had strong camps.

Of course not, and that's not what I'm saying. I was refering to the few ones who openly criticyzed, using sometime "strong" words simply because they were not agreeing with this player being higher than the other one, and blablabla.

And I'm not saying that the camp is "justifying" Jason's ranking. I said that the camp is showing that Jason was kinda right in picking his top five, which was strongly criticyzed by some...

Squeaky 09-28-2006 06:19 PM

Looking back at the rankings after camp is a good idea.

One change that I would make now, is I would put Maxwell higher on the list. He performed better in camp than I expected him to this year.

toshiro 09-28-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

I not high on Danis or Chipchura. If Danis was so great he would be traded for real gumbo rather than be waived down.

henri2014 09-28-2006 06:26 PM

One thing i dont understand is that Lats is ranked higher then Kost and Price but still hes not in the top 50 best prospects even tough both kost and carey are... Its must be because hes a 2nd rounder...

Kirk Muller* 09-28-2006 06:30 PM

the hf top 50 rankings have no relation to each team's rankings. they are chosen by completely different people with different opinions and knowledge about the prospects. if everything goes well, latendresse and kostitsyn won't be prospects anymore by the time they make next year's list.

turnbuckle* 09-28-2006 07:14 PM

Updated rankings (IMO):

1A) Guillaume Latendresse
1B) Andrei Kostitsyn
3.) Carey Price
4.) Kyle Chipchura
5.) David Fischer
6.) Alexi Emelin
7.) Mikhail Grabovsky
8.) Ryan O'Byrne
9.) Ben Maxwell
10.)Sergei Kostitsyn
11.) Maxim Lapierre
12.) Matt D'Agostini
13.) Jaroslav Halak
14.) Mathieu Carle
15.) Jonathan Ferland
16.) Mathieu Aubin
17.) Ryan White
18.) Juraj Mikus
19.) Oskari Korpikari
20.) Dan Jancevski

I don't think it's unreasonable to project Maxwell as a top ten prospect at this point. None of the players below him on my list were drafted higher, he had a strong rookie camp, and is currently second in WHL scoring. It's not like the Habs are teeming with top-line center prospects.

CH Wizard 09-28-2006 07:25 PM

If I'd be the hf writer those would be my rankings:

1 Guillaume Latendresse
2 Carey Price
3 Andrei Kostitsyn
4. Mikhail Grabovsky
5 David Fischer
6 Alexei Emelin
7 Kyle Chipchura
8 Ryan O'Byrne
9 Yann Danis (too old to be a prospect imo)
10.Sergei Kostitsyn
11 Maxim Lapierre
12 Jaroslav Halak
13 Ben Maxwell
14 Matt D'Agostini
15 Mathieu Aubin
16 Mathieu Carle
17 Ryan White
18 Juraj Mikus
19 Christopher Heino-Lindberg
20 Francis Lemieux

Souffle 09-28-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbuckle (Post 6603988)
Updated rankings (IMO):

1A) Guillaume Latendresse
1B) Andrei Kostitsyn
3.) Carey Price
4.) Kyle Chipchura
5.) David Fischer
6.) Alexi Emelin
7.) Mikhail Grabovsky
8.) Ryan O'Byrne
9.) Ben Maxwell
10.)Sergei Kostitsyn
11.) Maxim Lapierre
12.) Matt D'Agostini
13.) Jaroslav Halak
14.) Mathieu Carle
15.) Jonathan Ferland
16.) Mathieu Aubin
17.) Ryan White
18.) Juraj Mikus
19.) Oskari Korpikari
20.) Dan Jancevski

I don't think it's unreasonable to project Maxwell as a top ten prospect at this point. None of the players below him on my list were drafted higher, he had a strong rookie camp, and is currently second in WHL scoring. It's not like the Habs are teeming with top-line center prospects.

It's interesting to do a scattershot comparison of all three rankings (yours, Menard's, and the Habs boards'). S. Kostitsyn places 8th through 10th, but Maxwell goes from 9th, to 13th, all the way down to 16th. D'Agostini is 12th in yours and the boards', but he's only 18th in Menard's. Chiphura is 4th best according to all 3. As a general observation, though, Menard tends to rank the goalies higher while the others tend to rank recently drafted players higher.

(BTW: I wouldn't list Jancevski as a prospect. If he can sign a FA contract because he's no longer anyone else's prospect, then he's a journeyman -- maybe a good one, a sort of late bloomer, but still a journeyman and not a prospect, IMO.)

Talent Analyst 09-28-2006 09:03 PM

There's mine :

1)Carey Price
2)Guillaume Latendresse
3)Andrei Kostitsyn
4)Mikhail Grabovsky
5)David Fischer
6)Alexei Emelin
7)Kyle Chipchura
8)Ryan O'Byrne
9)Yann Danis
10)Sergei Kostitsyn
11)Mathieu Carle
12)Benjamin Maxwell
13)Jaroslav Halak
14)Mathieu Aubin
15)Matthiew D'Agostini
16)Maxim Lapierre
17)Juraj Mikus
18)Christopher Heino-Lindberg
19)J.T. Wyman
20)Ryan White

montreal 09-28-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

I would think most would have Lats, Kosty, Price, Chipchura as our top prospects in various order. I've been a big fan of both Kosty and Lats, consider them our top 2 prospects. Price I've had lower then most but didn't have a problem with the pick, sort of hoped we'd get Staal but thought the pick made a lot of sense. Haven't been overly impressed with Price but he seems to do well at both nhl camps. Chipchura I was not all for picking but like him more and more each time I see him. Can't wait to see him in Hamilton, I'd have no problem with him as our #1 prospect cause imo he is a lock for the nhl, think he will continue to improve although I don't know what his offensive upside is and how his lack of speed will effect him in the nhl.

Guys like Grabovski, Danis, Emelin, Fischer, O'Byrne, Kostitsyn, Lapierre, D'Agostini, Halak, Maxwell, Ferland, Aubin, Carle, Mikus should fill out the next group of spots in various order. Some will place others higher or lower but for the most part these guys make up a large block of our top prospects.

Big fan of Grabovski, each time I see him I like him more and more, really want to see what he can do over here and how the smaller ice surface effects him. Danis imo at 25 is past the prospect stage but if he's ranked he is one of our better prospects imo. Emelin is only 20 and considered our top D prospect by Gainey, hopefully we can get him over here at some point. Fischer I plan on seeing a lot of, he's one of the prospects I plan on focusing a lot to time to tracking his progression since I should most of all his games on tv. O'B I am a huge fan of, saw a lot of him over the years and got to interview him during his freshman year. It might take a couple years in the AHL but I think he will play in the NHL at some point. Kostitsyn I actually didn't like the pick, don't like the brother picks idea, but that's just me. Boy have I come to enjoy watching him play, can't wait to see what he can do in the future. Lapierre will be a fan favorite for us in time, got to love the way he plays! D'Agostini I didn't know much about when drafted but I like him more and more each time I see him play. Smart hard working player.

Halak has been good everywhere he's played, but the problem is roster space. Next year Price and Lacasse join the pro ranks with Heino out in the unknown. Price, Danis and Halak should all fight for the backup job and 2 spots in hamilton. Aubin could be a good one, can't wait to see him in the pros. Maxwell hopefully will improve upon his physical play but no doubt he's got some impressive offensive skills. Carle there's little doubt that he can produce offensively but next year he should be in hamilton, so we'll get a better feel for what he can do. Mikus is more of the mystery guy to me but he's got impressive speed, we'll see how he handles North American hockey.

Guys like White, Locke, Korpikari, Heino, Wyman, Lemieux, Valentenko, Benoit Stewart, would likely make up the next group with White having some interesting upside, like what I've seen from him. Locke may never see the nhl but he should be a big part of hamilton's offense. Korpikari's development has stalled according to some reports out of Finland, he's been stuck on the bottom pairing with Karpat but he's still an interesting prospect, don't know if they will sign him next year or give up his rights. Heino I am a big fan of but he spent most of the year on the bench and might do the same this year, add to that the logjam next year when Price and Lacasse turn pro, perhaps we never see Heino which to me is a disappiontment if it turns out that way. Wyman if he can get his offensive game in gear, he will be an interesting prospect, although he's still years away. Lemieux had an impressive season, like how he plays although he needs to get stronger. Valentenko we'll see if he ever comes over but it's great to hear he's playing in the rsl at 19. Benoit I hope he has a better season in hamilton. Stewart works hard and skates well with good speed.

Urquhart, Lambert, Milroy, Archer, Sanford, Paquet, Bonneau, Lacasse imo would make up the bottom of the group. Urquhart who knows if he will ever get it together but he does have some good offensive skills. Lambert has an impessive shot but needs to improve the rest of his game. Milroy says he's in the best shape of his life, hope to see him turn things around. Archer has had injury problems, same with Ferland, hopefully he can stay healthy and have a big year. Sanford led the dogs in scoring but who knows what his future holds with the organization. Paquet I need to see more of but he had a solid freshman year, don't know if I will get to see much of him this year. Bonneau needs a lot of work still, same goes for Lacasse imo.

LePoche69 09-29-2006 09:27 AM

Thanks for that, Dan. Always a great read.