HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kasparaitis Stripped of the "A" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=294857)

KasparKrunch 09-30-2006 11:24 AM

Kasparaitis Stripped of the "A"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-384668c.html
A AWAY: For the first time in two seasons, Darius Kasparaitis did not have an alternate captain's "A" on his sweater, though Renney insisted the struggling veteran "is a warrior and a leader." Jagr, who will get the captain's "C" for opening night, Shanahan and Straka each wore an "A." ...

that stinks

wolfgaze 09-30-2006 11:32 AM

Did he play last night (Kaspar)?

jagrgodr 09-30-2006 12:04 PM

Damn that sucks, i've always loved Kasp, theres something about him that i have really liked. I loved him on the penguins and was happy to see him play with Jagr again, i LOVE the *** check!

Plato 09-30-2006 12:09 PM

sucks but straka should def. have one

KasparKrunch 09-30-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 6615877)
Did he play last night (Kaspar)?

yeah, no A tho

Lundqvist=Vezina 09-30-2006 12:11 PM

Good to see Jagr has the C

xeric716x 09-30-2006 12:22 PM

a letter taken off your jersey doesnt stop you from being a leader.

FLYLine24 09-30-2006 12:30 PM

Congrats to Straka! He definitely deserved the A..the guy works his a** off every single shift at 110%. That is exactly what you want the kids to follow.

Kaspar is looking....old thus far in the preseason. Hopefully he turns it around because we have him for a few more years.

Finest 09-30-2006 12:49 PM

Phsycological warfare on the part of Renney? :dunno: As is if you dont bust your butt you can expect this sort of thing to happen? I dont know, obviously just speculating, but its a similar idea to what Renney did to Nylander last season when he sat him for that game after he took something like 3 back to back hooking calls. Again I dont know, just throwing out possibilities :)

hockeyprincess 09-30-2006 01:24 PM

You don't need an "A" or a "C" on your jersey to be your team's leader. You just need to go out and play your *** off every night. Darius Kasparaitis does that all the time. He doesn't need a special designation to make him a leader.

RangersMoogle 09-30-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfloorpunch716x (Post 6616152)

Mmhmm, Kaspar's always going to be a strong character guy to have in your locker room, doesn't matter if he has an "A" or "C" on his sweater.

But, the "struggling veteran" line did irk me a bit. NY Post writers, peh, just looked at last seasons numbers and decided to throw a juicy line in there. I bet they know bupkis about hockey.

GarretJoseph* 09-30-2006 02:01 PM

Shanny will do great as an A.

Trottier 09-30-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfloorpunch716x (Post 6616152)

Exactly. Nor does a letter on your jersey necessarily make you a leader.

I speak of that which I know: the guy currently wearing the "C" on Long Island, a former #88 in Philly, etc.

Edge 09-30-2006 03:05 PM

I am starting to believe Kaspar is reaching the end of the road with the Rangers.

Larry Melnyk 09-30-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 6617098)
I am starting to believe Kaspar is reaching the end of the road with the Rangers.

He better not be or the total physicality of our defense is reduced to Ward and maybe Tyutin....Personally, I think Kaspar still has game left and also wouldn't be surprised if the A gets put back on his sweater...

And if Kaspar is at the end of his road with the Rangers, they sure as heck better trade for another one, and a decent one....The defense is bad enough with a guy like Rachunek in the top 6..

Son of Steinbrenner 09-30-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk (Post 6617146)
He better not be or the total physicality of our defense is reduced to Ward and maybe Tyutin....Personally, I think Kaspar still has game left and also wouldn't be surprised if the A gets put back on his sweater...

And if Kaspar is at the end of his road with the Rangers, they sure as heck better trade for another one, and a decent one....The defense is bad enough with a guy like Rachunek in the top 6..

that's great that kaspar is physical but that's only one small aspect of his game at this point. He clearly is not 100% healthy or if he is he has lost more than a step. This isn't the most techinically sound defenseman to begin with so losing a step only makes him worse..

The guy has been brutal this preseason...BRUTAL

BDubinskyNYR17* 09-30-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk (Post 6617146)

this is why I wanted McKee as well, oh well. Id love Volchenkov from the Sens, but doubt it will happen. Maybe a guy like Sarich from the Bolts.

Edge 09-30-2006 03:18 PM

Well I think the million dollar question, and one the Rangers are asking is whether Kaspar can still play that physical game over the course of a season and into the playoffs and a cup drive.

I don't think the question is "has he" as much as "can he". It just seems like their is a lot of mileage under that hood and at 34 and coming off a surgery it isn't given as we've seen thus far.

I think we tend to forget just how old Kaspar is getting for the role he's expected to play. He's at the same point as Ulfie was his last season here, and has about 900 NHL games under his belt (regular season and playoffs). Playing that type of role wears down a player a lot faster than other roles on a team.

I think there's a legit reason for concern here.

Edge 09-30-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 6617172)
that's great that kaspar is physical but that's only one small aspect of his game at this point. He clearly is not 100% healthy or if he is he has lost more than a step. This isn't the most techinically sound defenseman to begin with so losing a step only makes him worse..

The guy has been brutal this preseason...BRUTAL

And that's really what it comes down to.

IF Kaspar is physical he's got a role. But if he's robbed of that element, than there's not too much left at this point.

The thing with physical players (both forwards and defenseman) is that their game can really decline in the blink of an eye. It's not as easy to go off of "last season" for them because one summer off can make a huge difference. And when you start getting to the mid 30's it can really disappear fast. I like Darius, but with his game, age, the surgery and his performance so far it might very well be the signs that this is the year his play dramatically takes a downturn.

nyranger61494 09-30-2006 03:23 PM

The 7th defenseman this year is going to be very important. He is really going to be a 6B defenseman. Kaspar, as Edge and others have stated, has played a rugged style and as last year proved, doing that for 82 games is difficult without sustaining injury, now let alone when the defenseman is in his 20's. I can see Kaspar being rotated in and out much like the Rangers did with Strudwick and other defensemen last year. Kaspar will play against a really physical team but he will not be in the line-up night in and night-out imo.

Trottier 09-30-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 6617201)
The thing with physical players (both forwards and defenseman) is that their game can really decline in the blink of an eye.

Truer words never spoken. The examples are countless (Adam Graves, Mike Peca, etc.) Which is why a player either has to adjust his game (pick his physical spots more carefully than he did at say age 23) or perish.

The best example, IMO, is Scott Stevens. Hit everything that moved through his 20s. Changed his game significantly - especially in the regular season - and continued to have a great career through his 30s....and continued to have the same impact/presence on the ice, despite counting down on the frequency of highlight hits.

Is Kasparaitus capable of same? (I'm gathering that your answer is "no".) Will Renney allow him to?

Plato 09-30-2006 03:47 PM

does anyone else sense beef between renney and kaspar? I mean a week ago he told #6 that he would lose his spot on the team if he didnt step it up and now this

hdw 09-30-2006 03:59 PM

Standard disclaimer, swede, Indian and red wing, in that order.

And actually, Jagr doesn't seem like a good captain.

He's the best pleayer on the ice, that's for sure.
But when the **** hits the fan and they're down 4-0 and can't see Jagr being the one to say "**** this, lets go get 'em".

Given that Shanny is a hired gun he can't be C, but he's exactly what NYR needs.

Who are the greatest captains? Sakic and Yzerman.

The best? no. the loudest? no, The captain? hell yeah.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-30-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdw (Post 6617511)
Standard disclaimer, swede, Indian and red wing, in that order.

And actually, Jagr doesn't seem like a good captain.

He's the best pleayer on the ice, that's for sure.
But when the **** hits the fan and they're down 4-0 and can't see Jagr being the one to say "**** this, lets go get 'em".

Given that Shanny is a hired gun he can't be C, but he's exactly what NYR needs.

Who are the greatest captains? Sakic and Yzerman.

The best? no. the loudest? no, The captain? hell yeah.

I think Ranger fans have had some experience with great captains. And while Jagr will not be the greatest captain in Ranger history, this is his team and after last season he deserves the reins.

FLYLine24 09-30-2006 04:51 PM

Well Kaspar is wearing the A tonight still as well as Shanny. Straka no A.