HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Joe Sakic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29512)

Spankatola Jamnuts* 11-19-2003 03:46 PM

Joe Sakic

This thread is about this play and not Californians or puffy goalies or surly fans and their stupid stereotypes. It's about just this one play.

It has been stated elsewhere that Sakic didn't dive on the play. I think it was pretty damn obvious that he did. Watch the movie and judge for yourself.

imagine29028 11-19-2003 03:55 PM

give it up already....seriously

MoS* 11-19-2003 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
This thread is about this play and not Californians or puffy goalies or surly fans and their stupid stereotypes. It's about just this one play.

It has been stated elsewhere that Sakic didn't dive on the play. I think it was pretty damn obvious that he did. Watch the movie and judge for yourself.

i am torn. the play itself, within the instant of the fall, looks like a blatant dive. but the fact that sakic recovered so fast and got right back into the play for the puck made it seem like he did just slip. well who knows?

wazee 11-19-2003 04:04 PM

Yep. Here is the Wednesday Avs bashing thread. Right on schedule.

kenabnrmal 11-19-2003 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoS
i am torn. the play itself, within the instant of the fall, looks like a blatant dive. but the fact that sakic recovered so fast and got right back into the play for the puck made it seem like he did just slip. well who knows?

Its hardly the blatant dive that people have made it out to be, and might not even be a dive at all. Thats not typically how players embellish hooks, and looked like his skate may have slipped. It definitely happens. However, the crime in the play is not Sakic, but the official who made the call. Whether it was a dive or not, it was Sakic losing his footing on his own, not the Ducks' player's hook or trip or whatever it was deemed. Theres no way thats a penalty.

All that said, get over it. One thread was already more than enough on the subject.

andora 11-19-2003 04:07 PM

yes, he dove, the crusade is over... move on

NJ_Devil_Boy 11-19-2003 04:08 PM

Nice dive...

*Moving Along*

me2 11-19-2003 04:19 PM

Dive? Nah just looked like a fall.

Did he look around at the refs? Nope.
Did he stay down? Nope.
Did he embelish it and over act? Nope.
Did he ever take his eyes off the the puck to work out when to dive? Nope.

Its got none of the dive characteristics. The fact he got up immediately and kept going for the puck shows he didn't think he was tripped (or took a dive and tried to make it look like a trip).

Give it up.

Snap Wilson 11-19-2003 04:19 PM

I like the ominous note struck when he went down. Very dramatic!

Spankatola Jamnuts* 11-19-2003 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneyp
I like the ominous note struck when he went down. Very dramatic!

I thought it was nice, too.

SopelFan* 11-19-2003 04:53 PM

Who cares.

David 11-19-2003 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger

In all my years of watching Joe from when he was very, very young, I have NEVER known Joe Sakic to dive. He has never been that type of player. That has not been part of his character.

This footage does not look like a typical dive that some players perform to get a penalty. Joe simply lost his footing and got right back up to pursue the play.

Legionnaire 11-19-2003 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
This footage does not look like a typical dive that some players perform to get a penalty. Joe simply lost his footing and got right back up to pursue the play.

Exactly. I don't see a dive there at all.

Jori 11-19-2003 05:11 PM

If a non Avalanche player supposedly dives...will there be threads dedicated to him?

MoS* 11-19-2003 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
If a non Avalanche player supposedly dives...will there be threads dedicated to him?

there was one earlier in the season about jordin tootoo

Legionnaire 11-19-2003 05:28 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but definitely not two about the same dive :p

Spankatola Jamnuts* 11-19-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

Modano did a real nice one tonight...practically gave himself whiplash. Want me to start a thread on it, martyr?

Jori 11-19-2003 05:53 PM

Touche :joker:

Yet, the response is of little surprise.

Trottier 11-19-2003 06:58 PM

It's really about time that HF create a "Persecution Complex" board for fans who cannot get over the fact that controversial calls and non-calls occur all the time, always have and always will....both for and against their team.

:shakehead

nuksforlife 11-19-2003 07:02 PM

I think he kinda dived but wasent looking for a penalty, as other have said he got right back up into the play and didn't look at the ref for a call. He is not known as a diver. My opinion=No dive.

Go Habs Go 11-19-2003 07:21 PM

Looks to me like he lost his balance for a split second, got up immediately to chase the puck. If he was a diver, there are so many other opportunities throughout a game that are better.

DarioinDenver 11-19-2003 07:23 PM

Sakic's long and storied career is full of diving, cheap shots and in general, dirty tactics. I can appreciate your vendetta in this case.

Now, all together.... :cry:

Freudian 11-19-2003 07:26 PM

Looks like its just a slip. He is trying to get up the second it happens. When someone dives to draw a penalty they stay down. The fact that some people have not only opened one but two threads (I'm afraid to look at the Ducks board, so there are potentially more threads about this) about this supposed dive says more about the fans than Sakic.

nathan 11-19-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Sakic's long and storied career is full of diving, cheap shots and in general, dirty tactics. I can appreciate your vendetta in this case.

Now, all together.... :cry:

Don't forget, he is the captain so that makes him the leader of all the knee-to-knee hits, behind-the-ref face washes, and of course, how can we ever forget, the "accidental" spears.

RoyIsALegend* 11-19-2003 07:38 PM

I repeat... Ducks fans are the whiniest bunch of clowns in the sport.

Jealousy of an organization's success could never be more evident.