HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Pavel Bure (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29583)

Team_Spirit 11-19-2003 09:46 PM

Pavel Bure

Is Pavel Bure the next Russian to enter the hall of fame after Fetisov ? He would only be the 4th Russian to make it there :bow:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...try.jsp?co=RUS

Goalie27* 11-19-2003 09:48 PM

He deserves it.... While healthy, he was probably the best pure goalscorer of the modern game.

#37-#93-#27* 11-19-2003 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie27
He deserves it.... While healthy, he was probably the best pure goalscorer of the modern game.

Deffinitely. Even in the "defensive" NHL era the guy could score at will.

Only guy ever to come here in recent years that actually played to his capabilities. In 51 games as a Ranger he scored 31 goals.

Waveburner 11-19-2003 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Deffinitely. Even in the "defensive" NHL era the guy could score at will.

Only guy ever to come here in recent years that actually played to his capabilities. In 51 games as a Ranger he scored 31 goals.

And that's after he had already had about 6 knee operations...
And was coming off the IR about every month or so...

Bure was amazing.
150 goals faster than anyone save Gretzky I believe.

Beukeboom Fan 11-20-2003 09:40 AM

Am I the only person that's thinking "No"? He was a great offensive talent when healthy, having 5 50+ goal seasons.

I just think about guys like Cam Neely who also dominated when healthy, and aren't in the HOF. Add in the other aspects that Neely brought to the game that PB didn't, and I that's what I base my decision on.

King of Kelvington 11-20-2003 09:50 AM

No.

GP:702
G: 437
A: 342
PTS: 779

Not enough IMO. Who is next Valeri?

Biggest Canuck Fan 11-20-2003 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveburner
And that's after he had already had about 6 knee operations...
And was coming off the IR about every month or so...

Bure was amazing.
150 goals faster than anyone save Gretzky I believe.

Only Gretzky, and Bossy hit 150 faster than Pavel.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 10:21 AM

Pavel Bure was a good player and all, but guys like Dino Ciccarelli should get in before him. While Pavel was a fantastic player, he really didn't do anything to force even a modest re-write of any records, except for how fast he hit 150 goals. He didn't play for a very long time, he didn't win any Cups, and so on and so forth.

The Russian Rocket was an awesome player, but he's not HOF worthy, IMO.

~Canucklehead~

King of Kelvington 11-20-2003 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Only Gretzky, and Bossy hit 150 faster than Pavel.

Its not only how you start but how you finish....coulda been a HOF but injuries have negated that possibility.

Slay 11-20-2003 10:29 AM

Is it hockey HOF or nhl HOF? Just curious

There were a lot of great Russian players outside nhl and some of them deserve it more than Bure (though in terms of talent Bure is hof'er, in terms of achievements not sure, though he wasn't playing in strong teams with great depth/support to win the SC but you know a lot of unknown players won SC but it doesn't make them better ;)).

Quote:

"Kharlamov was the greatest individual hockey player i had ever played against in my entire career."

-Bobby Hull

Quote:

"His talents were God-given. He could do practically everything; a smart play, a tricky pass, a precise shot. And everything he did looked so easy, so elegant. His excecution of hockey was aesthetic. He amazed millions. Kharlamov and his unique talent belong to the world he was a part of; all who loved hockey."

-Vladislav Tretiak

Joe T Choker 11-20-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCJr
Its not only how you start but how you finish....coulda been a HOF but injuries have negated that possibility.

agreed, if he had stayed healthy he would have been a HOF inductee but at this point, no way.

Doc_M 11-20-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
agreed, if he had stayed healthy he would have been a HOF inductee but at this point, no way.

I agree. Great goal-scoring machine but he was as one-dimensional as he was exciting...

jackets63 11-20-2003 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Am I the only person that's thinking "No"? He was a great offensive talent when healthy, having 5 50+ goal seasons.

I just think about guys like Cam Neely who also dominated when healthy, and aren't in the HOF. Add in the other aspects that Neely brought to the game that PB didn't, and I that's what I base my decision on.

Your argument is moot only because Neely should be and will be a HoFer.

Big Kov 11-20-2003 01:15 PM

This is crazy. If Pavel doesnt make it, hockey is a shame. How can the greatest goalscorer in NHL history not make it? rediculas.

jackets63 11-20-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotTheRat
While P.Bure was the most exciting player of the last 10 years, IMO, and an absolute joy to watch, he didn't play long enough to warrant in the hockey HOF.

If hes the best player at something in his time frame (goal scoring or just general excitement) isnt that what the hall is there to recognize?

Team_Spirit 11-20-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Neeley will be an HOF when is time will come ... and Bure will also be an HOF in the future . It's not like he has to be introduced NOW .

Pavel is the greatest russian of the new area , he scored back to back 60 g season something only the greats did .

1 Calder
2 Rocket Ricahrd Trophy
2 back-to-back 60 goal season ( something only the greats did )
Played with the Red Army at 16 only ( best Russian league at the time )
1 Stanley Cup Finals
6 All Star Games
2 Olympics tournement ( medals ? )

He's the all time scoring leader at the WJC .

chris_dub 11-20-2003 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie27

agreed

Beukeboom Fan 11-20-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kov
This is crazy. If Pavel doesnt make it, hockey is a shame. How can the greatest goalscorer in NHL history not make it? rediculas.

WTF are you talking about? Greatest goalscorer of the 90's - sure. Greatest goalscorer in NHL history - not even remotely close.

I guess I take a look at a players ability to stay healthy as well. When PB was healthy (about half the time) he scored 50+ goals per season. But if you can only stay healthy half the time, that's a HUGE negative factor IMO.

One quick Bure story. Everyone calls him soft, but I remember early in his career he caught Shane Churla (my most hated player at the time) with his head down and knocked him unconcious with a Scott Stevens type hit.

TMac21 11-20-2003 01:53 PM

Quote:

WTF are you talking about? Greatest goalscorer of the 90's - sure. Greatest goalscorer in NHL history - not even remotely close.

I guess I take a look at a players ability to stay healthy as well. When PB was healthy (about half the time) he scored 50+ goals per season. But if you can only stay healthy half the time, that's a HUGE negative factor IMO.

One quick Bure story. Everyone calls him soft, but I remember early in his career he caught Shane Churla (my most hated player at the time) with his head down and knocked him unconcious with a Scott Stevens type hit.

Last time I checked, blindsiding a guy with a flying elbow to the head was not considered a Stevens type hit.

Burke's Evil Spirit 11-20-2003 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21
Last time I checked, blindsiding a guy with a flying elbow to the head was not considered a Stevens type hit.

:lol: :lol:

That put him in Don Cherry's good books. Early in his career Bure was quite a feisty player.

PecaFan 11-20-2003 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface
He'd go in for all the things he did as a Canuck, outside Vancouver he did jack all, its a shame, this guy was great at one point, then he overrated himself and got hurt alot.

Yeah, those back to back 58 and 59 goal seasons in Florida in '00 and '01 were an embarrasment to the game. :shakehead:

tom_servo 11-20-2003 02:09 PM

I've never seen someone end up with foot lodged in mouth nearly as often as Scarface. It's incredible.

PavelBure 11-20-2003 02:16 PM

i hope he gets in

Belamorte 11-20-2003 02:48 PM

Not a chance I would think... Sure he had some great seasons, but doesnt have the longevity for it... The HOF is becoming a joke... Seems if anyone had a few good years people think they should go in... The HOF should be reserved for the truely great players not players who were great for a few seasons... By some logic i see on this thread Kevin Stevens, Bernie Nichols and Eric Lindros should also be included...A few good seasons does not make a HOF career..Longevity counts for something and retireing when you are in your early thirties is not a long career...

I would also argue that people like Dale Hawechuck and Pat Lafontaine should never have been elected to the hall...Both had good long careers but 0 Stanley Cups, 0 MVP and 0 scoring titles... But that is a differnt topic :)

Team_Spirit 11-20-2003 03:29 PM

hey scarface , Bure has set more team records in Florida than in Vancouver ... oh and the PPG % is NOT a factor for the HOF .