HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   OT - HG, we're rivals for a weekend (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=296561)

Acadmus 10-04-2006 08:48 AM

OT - HG, we're rivals for a weekend

Kevin Sneddon's Coach's show on the local radio morning show (he's the UVM Men's Hockey coach) - the Cats are opening their 2006-2007 season with a tournament, and Miami of Ohio is one of their opponents.

We're at opposite end of the ice on this one, Happy Girl;)

Of course, I'm sure you can trash talk me into the ground, but what the heck:dunno: I'll give it a whirl while watching my Cats team skate circles around those MoO pretty-boys!:D

Happy Girl 10-04-2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses (Post 6652351)
Kevin Sneddon's Coach's show on the local radio morning show (he's the UVM Men's Hockey coach) - the Cats are opening their 2006-2007 season with a tournament, and Miami of Ohio is one of their opponents.

We're at opposite end of the ice on this one, Happy Girl;)

Of course, I'm sure you can trash talk me into the ground, but what the heck:dunno: I'll give it a whirl while watching my Cats team skate circles around those MoO pretty-boys!:D

Well EE (Acad) it's a shame your boys will have to start the season off with a loss but at least it's early so you'll have some time to bounce back.

In all seriousness, it should be a good game. I was talking to a friend of mine about this a few days ago, I think in recent years the CCHA has become less competitive than in previous years. We used to have a variety of teams that dominated, Michigan, MSU, LSSU, BGSU, Miami ... but now it seems we have only a few who can consistently compete. IMO the CCHA has failed to take the necessary steps to advance the competitiveness of the league, things such as playing teams outside of the league. I hope this tourney is a sign of good things to come. Miami also has a huge hole to fill with the departure of Andy Greene. I hope Rico can ice a solid team this year.

Acadmus 10-04-2006 09:53 AM

I'm just excited to finally see what the new crop of kids has to offer.

Also, I'm hoping Joe Fallon shapes up this season, realizes time's running out on his college career and he needs to start wowing the NHL crowd.

I'm also hoping some of these promising VT kids also step up and maybe earn some NHL interest. Leisenring (from Stowe) had an AHL tryout last year, but haven't heard anything else about him since. There's several others on the team this year, including Peter Lenes, that showed promise last season. Vermont's ostensibly a hockey state, so it'd be nice to see one or two of them in the big leagues for a change - Leclair's gonna retire soon.

Acadmus 10-05-2006 09:14 AM

So Colgate's the other team. Sneddon likes to keep the Cats' presence felt in the ECAC(HL) like that:D Just two opponents...not a tournament, then, just a pair of games?

Acadmus 10-06-2006 04:02 PM

Game on: UVM vs. Colgate in the inaugural game for Miami of Ohio's new arena:D

http://www.newstalk620wvmt.com/Article.asp?id=54368

Happy Girl 10-06-2006 04:20 PM

Brian Savage donated $250,000 to building this arena. I've not seen the Cady Ice Arena but I have so many good memories of Goggin, Jason Mallon's OT goal against Michigan, the boys lining up after every game to salute the crowd, all of the banners the students made that lined the walls ... so many good memories. I hope that they continue the tradition in the new facility.

http://muredhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-...100306aaa.html

Quote:

NATIONAL RECOGNITION: After guiding Miami to the 2005-06 CCHA Championship and the first No. 1 national ranking in school history, head coach Enrico Blasi became the second coach in program history to earn the Spencer Penrose National Coach of the Year Award. Blasi joined current Denver head coach George Gwozdecky, who led the Red and White for five seasons (1989-1994) and took the program to its first NCAA Tournament.

MENTOR MEETS STUDENT: When Miami and Denver faceoff on Oct. 6, it will mark the second time in the past four seasons that Miami head coach Enrico Blasi will have been matched up against his former college coach, George Gwozdecky. Blasi played under Gwozdecky for four seasons at Miami and was an assistant captain in 1992-93 when Miami made its first trip to the NCAA Tournament. Additionally, Blasi cut his college-coaching teeth under Gwozdecky at Denver, serving as an assistant coach with the Pioneers for four seasons.
Go Miami! I know that Tommy will be watching you from heaven boys and cheering you on.

Acadmus 10-06-2006 05:02 PM

2-0 UVM in the first:D

Acadmus 10-06-2006 10:33 PM

6-0 Catamount win!! Both my teams won tonight, and I got to see at least parts of both games on TV, too, since the UVM/Colgate game was on ESPNU. Then got my Center Ice preview to watch the best part of a dominating Panthers win!:yo: :yo:

Happy Girl 10-06-2006 10:38 PM

My boys won too, 5 - 2 over Denver. Tomorrow's game should be good! Go Miami!

Happy Girl 10-07-2006 08:35 AM

7:35 pm tonight Acadmus - we will be mortal enemies. :handclap:

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20062007/m/10/06/du-mu.php

Quote:

As the new Steve Cady Arena opened its doors on Friday night, some things did not seem to change from the old Goggin Ice Arena. The same intensity was there within the hearts of the Miami University student section as they made it near impossible to communicate on the ice between both teams. The student section was also responsible for two delays of game penalties against the RedHawks when they threw give away cones on the ice after Miami’s first three goals putting the Miami penalty kill on the ice a little longer than they wanted. “We were as excited as they were,” said RedHawk captain Ryan Jones. “We’re not going to get angry at our fans because we love the fact that they are there.”

:biglaugh:

Happy Girl 10-07-2006 10:08 PM

Ugh - looks like both of my teams are taking it on the chin tonight. We just suck against east coast teams. Why is that? It's awful. We need to play more east coast teams if the CCHA wants to be competitive.

Acadmus 10-08-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Girl (Post 6695157)
Ugh - looks like both of my teams are taking it on the chin tonight. We just suck against east coast teams. Why is that? It's awful. We need to play more east coast teams if the CCHA wants to be competitive.

What was the score? After seeing that Florida dropped a 6-0 decision to the Thrashers tonight (did Eddie play the whole game? If so, no more Bel-four should be Cats fans' new cheer), I'm relieved to see UVM had better luck. Especially beating Miami U (as the announcers made a point of saying your school prefers to be called), a top team, gives me hope that they'll be up with the big boys of Hockey East, BU and BC.

Happy Girl 10-08-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses (Post 6697081)
What was the score? After seeing that Florida dropped a 6-0 decision to the Thrashers tonight (did Eddie play the whole game? If so, no more Bel-four should be Cats fans' new cheer), I'm relieved to see UVM had better luck. Especially beating Miami U (as the announcers made a point of saying your school prefers to be called), a top team, gives me hope that they'll be up with the big boys of Hockey East, BU and BC.

Last time I checked, it was 4 - 1 UVM with 2 minutes to go. And yes, this whole Miami of Ohio is really an ESPN thing. I only use it when I am talking to people who are not from this area so they know which one I mean. The school's official name is Miami University. We were a university before Florida was a state, established in 1809. The university was founded on a land tract given to us from the Miami tribe and we still have a strong affiliation with the tribe. I believe that all members of the tribe can go to Miami for free. The Miami tribe was very prolific in this region and there are many things with the Miami name, including two rivers and a county.