HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone care about not having Bure now? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29765)

Fire Sather 11-20-2003 01:56 PM

Anyone care about not having Bure now?

Going into the season when it was annouced that Pavel Bure would not play this season, most people simply said "we are fine at RW with Kovalev and Carter" Now, 18 games into the season, they have 2 goals a peice. Maybe losing Bure really did hurt us. Maybe, just maybe he would have played like he did at the end of 2002 and would have 12 goals right now...Im sure he'd have more than 2. This is not a "im right and your wrong post" I too, wasnt too worried about the loss of Bure.

Discuss.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-20-2003 02:35 PM

I wouldn't say that I miss him because I don't think the team would be all that much more better.

What I do appreciate more now is his ability to finish. There is no way that Bure would have missed the side of the net goals that Messier and Kovalev have missed in recent games. On a two on one, there is now way that Bure would blast a shot high that would not even scare the crossbar (like Kovalev did).

That's what I notice.

Fire Sather 11-20-2003 02:39 PM

Seeing what Ilya Kovalchuk is doing this season just reminds me how good Bure can be if heathy. Fact is, we have an older Ilya Kovalchuk not playing. So sad, without all the injuries and probably what will be an early retirement, he could have scored 800+, easily.

JR#9* 11-20-2003 02:48 PM

No matter how anybody feels on the situation one thing was undeniable,Pavel was a game breaker when healthy and as Singin said he'd bury the majority of the chances he got in a game and he was always good for 1-2-3 real good chances a game.

Theoren Fan 11-20-2003 03:05 PM

Pavel Bure if on the team would've been my favorite player on this squad. Bure is a guy that for some reason always wanted to play here, and it's a damn shame that shortly after his arrival and just as he was starting to put on a show, his knees gave. Bure is a player that with either Lindros or Nedved, he'd produce. If he were on the team, he'd be the most talented and important forward of the bunch, over Kovalev and Lindros. I really hope a miracle happens and he can return to play, he's the first superstar brought in here in a long time that's played like one here.

Vito Andolini 11-20-2003 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
Going into the season when it was annouced that Pavel Bure would not play this season, most people simply said "we are fine at RW with Kovalev and Carter" Now, 18 games into the season, they have 2 goals a peice. Maybe losing Bure really did hurt us. Maybe, just maybe he would have played like he did at the end of 2002 and would have 12 goals right now...Im sure he'd have more than 2. This is not a "im right and your wrong post" I too, wasnt too worried about the loss of Bure.
Discuss.

You can't legitamately make these kinds of arguments cause no one knows what would of happened if he had started the season. Maybe he'd have 20 goals right now, maybe he'd have 0 goals right now, maybe he'd score 5 goals and be responsible for 19 goals againsts, maybe he would have spontaneously combusted during the 1st game of the season, or maybe just maybe he would have spontaneously combusted during the 10th game of the season ...who knows.
And regardless, if your team is not bigger than its individual players, then your doomed from the start.

Fire Sather 11-20-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito Andolini
You can't legitamately make these kinds of arguments cause no one knows what would of happened if he had started the season. Maybe he'd have 20 goals right now, maybe he'd have 0 goals right now, maybe he'd score 5 goals and be responsible for 19 goals againsts, maybe he would have spontaneously combusted during the 1st game of the season, or maybe just maybe he would have spontaneously combusted during the 10th game of the season ...who knows.
And regardless, if your team is not bigger than its individual players, then your doomed from the start.

That not what im saying. Everyone just kinda blew it off like it was pretty much a non-issue.

nyr5186 11-20-2003 03:49 PM

Quote:

Good point. We came into the season thinking Kovalev was gonna have a good year. After seeing him play great in preseason with Nedved and Hlavac, many of us thought he was gonna have a monster year. But for some reason, he hasnt done much so far.

So its hard to use hypotheticals and say we wouldve done better in a certain category if X player was healthy. Hell, we went into the season thinking goaltending was our deepest position. Now look who's starting tonight against the Avs. Not Dunham. Not Markannen. Not Richter. Not even Blackburn. Jason friggin' Labarbera! Who knows, maybe we'll have to bring up Brandon Snee from Charlotte to start against Ottawa on Sunday. So you just never know, especially with this team.

Btw, good luck to Babar tonight! :D

Barnaby 11-20-2003 04:09 PM

Quote:

True we dont know if he'd have 5 or 15 goals right now, but him just being in the line-up forces teams to take notice. He's kind of like that big bat in the middle of your line-up, he may go 0 for 5 but you always have to be aware of him. The guy in front of him will get better pitches. Likewise, teams have to keep tabs on him which would open things up for Eric and let Kovalev face a weaker match-up on a diff line. In his short stay he has proved that he can play here unlike Kovy has ever done. Compare the two if you want but Bure is in that superstar category while Kovalev is a very good player. I'm not saying the Rangers would be 12-2 if Bure is here but you'd better believe we'd have more goals for. He's the type of player who has excelled in big spots which most of our other big-name players havent.

nyr5186 11-20-2003 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
So you just never know, especially with this team.

I take that back. With this team, you do know...They Suck!

JCProdigy 11-20-2003 05:00 PM

Simply put, I believe this team would be better off with a healthly Pavel Bure playing 1st line RW....but unfortunately there is no such thing as a "healthy" Pavel Bure anymore.

Vito Andolini 11-20-2003 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
That not what im saying. Everyone just kinda blew it off like it was pretty much a non-issue.

That's true, there wasn't much of a deal made about it. I think that was primarily due to the fact that a.) he was injured for much of last season, and it really sucked the life out of this team when he got hurt, and b.) we figured that Kovalev and Carter fit better on our top two lines than Bure had, cause as we know, he didn't fit in with Lindros when given the shot, and didn't seem to compliment Nedved's style either.

Me personally, I'm glad he's not here. It's true he can be a great scorer when healthy, but that comes at the expense of any sort of defense, and with our line-up, that shouldn't be needed.

Potter 11-20-2003 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Pavel Bure if on the team would've been my favorite player on this squad. Bure is a guy that for some reason always wanted to play here, and it's a damn shame that shortly after his arrival and just as he was starting to put on a show, his knees gave. Bure is a player that with either Lindros or Nedved, he'd produce. If he were on the team, he'd be the most talented and important forward of the bunch, over Kovalev and Lindros. I really hope a miracle happens and he can return to play, he's the first superstar brought in here in a long time that's played like one here.

Theo fan... I TOTALLY AGREE!!! wow i couldnt have put it better myself... not even close. Any one disagree i would really like to hear what you have to say to theo fan.

Edge 11-20-2003 09:24 PM

bure in his prime was electric. no one skated faster and no one was as dangerous with a goal. i mean the guy could score ANY second because he was so talented and so fast. i've said this before but what stands out was the 94 playoffs. the guy blew past the likes of Kovalev,Leetch,Anderson, Messier, not exactly slow guys.

I remember a game against florida where he blew by nedved, a player often seen as one of the fastest in the east.

the guy was lightening, the only player i've seen move as fast is kariya.

having said that, i miss HIM but don't think the team is really any better with him at this point. This team lost tonight because they got lazy when moving the puck out of their own end. bottom line.

deathbear 11-20-2003 09:35 PM

we need a thread where we pray for bure to get better.

or maybe you just need a thread to pray for the rangers to play better.

since im a bure fan, but could care less about the rangers, im going for the former.

33teddy33 11-21-2003 06:04 AM

Quote:

I think you missed his point completely. Yeah - who knows? And maybe we'd all be dead right now due to Nuclear Fallout?? Who knows?? Come on - re-read what he said.

theofan:

Look at what he said. He was the first superstar to come in and light up the redlight and play as if he always wanted to play here.
Theofan is exactly right. Its been a looooooong time since someone came here and immediately was on fire.

Theo I agree with you on the matter wholeheartedly. Losing Bure has been a terrible thing.

The Raggers are playing like **** as a club. What the hell is it gonna take? Some people need to be replaced or fired in some key spots in upper management, and some trades need to happen. If you can get them. Lot harder to dole out players who you payed top dollar for and aren't performing now.

What gives? Come-on Rangers.

RushingRocket 11-21-2003 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbear
we need a thread where we pray for bure to get better.

or maybe you just need a thread to pray for the rangers to play better.

Hmmm... nothing else has worked, maybe we should start this thread...anybody know any voodoo sacrifices to help this team?

Come to think of it, I know a really good sacrifice we could make, SATHER!

deathbear 11-21-2003 10:14 PM

ive said this before, but i just have a really good feeling bure is gonna come back sooner than later.

i have nothing to base this on, but im keeping the faith!