HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Suprising Rookies so Far? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29804)

Hawkalyzer 11-20-2003 05:03 PM

Suprising Rookies so Far?

i see a "dissapointing" topic, so ill start a Suprising

ill start with Brett McLean: 5 goals 6 assists=11(before vancouver game if he scores)

anyone else?

Hossa 11-20-2003 05:04 PM

He may be slowing down a bit, but Patrice Bergeron tops my list. Very, very few second round draft picks make the NHL at 18 years old.

McLean and King are two other guys that come to mind.

Aaron Vickers 11-20-2003 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hossa
He may be slowing down a bit, but Patrice Bergeron tops my list. Very, very few second round draft picks make the NHL at 18 years old.

McLean and King are two other guys that come to mind.

Fritsche!

Jeff Goldblum 11-20-2003 05:09 PM

Ryan Malone. He's been one of the best players on the Pens. That's not saying much, but he truly surprised us all. I can't think of one poster who predicted Malone to have a spot opening night, let alone play this well. I thought he had the upside of a 3rd/4th liner. Now I believe he can be a 2nd liner.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 11-20-2003 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pens4ever
Ryan Malone. He's been one of the best players on the Pens. That's not saying much, but he truly surprised us all. I can't think of one poster who predicted Malone to have a spot opening night, let alone play this well. I thought he had the upside of a 3rd/4th liner. Now I believe he can be a 2nd liner.

I agree, he has been playing very well and I didn't even think that he had a future in the NHL. :blush:

Ejh18 11-20-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Fritsche!

Who happened to score his first NHL goal tonight.

A twisted wrister 5-hole, after looking to pass and freezing Manny Legace...

Great to see. He has been playing really well and not getting rewarded on the score sheet. To his fairness he was playinng with offensive wizards Shelly & JLGP....

Teemu 11-20-2003 05:36 PM

McLean, King, Bergeron, Hunter

Aaron Vickers 11-20-2003 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ejh18
Who happened to score his first NHL goal tonight.

A twisted wrister 5-hole, after looking to pass and freezing Manny Fernandez...

Great to see. He has been playing really well and not getting rewarded on the score sheet. To his fairness he was playinng with offensive wizards Shelly & JLGP....

Legace...Manny...Legace!

Ejh18 11-20-2003 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
Legace...Manny...Legace!

Manny this manny that, either one would have been beaten by that shot :D

NJ_Devil_Boy 11-20-2003 05:56 PM

Hale and Martin. :handclap:

Big McLargehuge 11-20-2003 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pens4ever

I didn't even think he'd be good enough to be a AHL 3rd liner...

Malone has amazed the hell out of me.

Canada Girl 11-20-2003 06:23 PM

Matthew Lombardi... hat trick already!

tom_servo 11-20-2003 06:42 PM

Cool Malone goal from last night.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/mu...Malone_goal.rm

Cerebral 11-20-2003 06:48 PM

Though he's not truly a rookie, Raffi Torres! All the Islanders fans I talked to after the Niinimaa trade claimed he had hands of stone and would never be a goal scorer in the NHL.. he sure is proving them wrong so far. He's already scored 8 goals and has shown that he really has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time.. if he'd played a few less games he'd be right in the thick of things for the Calder trophy!

Dallas 11-20-2003 08:01 PM

How about BOTH Bergeron's? Patrice is definitely a huge surprise to almost everyone, but outside of some dedicated Oiler fans, Marc-Andre's play this far has got to come as a surprise... after 15 games he's tied for the rookie points lead with Pitkanen among defenseman having played two fewer games.

Vyse64 11-20-2003 08:07 PM

Marc-Andre Bergeron
3 goals 6 assists, +5 in 15 games :yo:

edit: and Joni Pitkanen too

Thalia 11-20-2003 08:31 PM

<<<<<<------------------ :D

Nice setup to Salo on that OT goal.

Oilers Hockey 11-20-2003 08:33 PM

^Same. I didn't realize King was going to be such a hot player, but hes opening everyone's eyes thats for sure.

William H Bonney 11-20-2003 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_servo

That was pretty sick!

slyc 11-21-2003 11:25 AM

Here my top 7 for surprising rookies (in order).
JASON KING
BRETT MCLEAN
PATRICE BERGERON
MATTHEW LOMBARDI
TRENT HUNTER
MARC ANDRÉ BERGERON
JOHN-MICHAEL LILES (d)
TOM PREISSING (d)

Some other roockies aren't surprises (Pitkaneen, Stall ...)

cc 11-21-2003 11:29 AM

Last season, I proposed a trade for Trent Hunter for the nucks for a fourth rounder and it was accepted by the Isles fans. Too bad that didn't come to pass for the nucks... he's looking very very good out there.

BrimFullofAsham45 11-21-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
edit: and Joni Pitkanen too

How so?

I think Pitkanen is pretty well-hyped. :dunno:

GaborikRules10!!! 11-21-2003 11:33 AM

How about Brent Burns or Christoph Brander, well I dont know if u can call him a rookie but hes a 1st year player. Both have been solid additions to the Wild.

Teezax 11-21-2003 11:36 AM

Pitkanen: 2G 7A +10

Need is ay more for a 1st year defenceman
Leads the Flyers in +/- and leads the D in points.
He is getting overlooked because he is a defenceman.

Burke's Evil Spirit 11-21-2003 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
Pitkanen: 2G 7A +10

Need is ay more for a 1st year defenceman
Leads the Flyers in +/- and leads the D in points.
He is getting overlooked because he is a defenceman.

He is getting overlooked because he was insanely hyped. No-one is surprised by his production.