HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   The Officiating in the Chi/Van Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29816)

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 05:53 PM

The Officiating in the Chi/Van Game

*This is not a "I'm *****ing because the Canucks are losing wah wah" thread*

The officiating in this game thus far has been God awful. The first period started off with penalty after penalty for infractions that weren't even infractions being called against the Canucks. Then, before the last penalty even expired, the "compensatory" calls against the Hawks started coming, and now the Hawks are getting penalty after penalty, and some of them for infractions that aren't even infractions.

The referees are trying to dictate this game and are preventing it from getting any flow to it at all; yes, a 5-on-3 is nice for Canucks fans, and I'm sure a 5-on-3 is nice for Hawks fans to see as well, but enough is enough. Let the players decide the game, not the whistles. Mick McGeough and his crew have been brutal.

Just needed to say all that...

~Canucklehead~

fullmetalninja 11-20-2003 05:55 PM

Magoo, a disgrace to the NHL.

The first period of the Cannucks/Hawks game is the worst officiated period I have ever seen... Ever.

On both sides.

The Cannucks got a horrible call, when Morrison pulls down Nichol on the PP and both go off.

A bad hawks against the Cannucks(the JovO hooking on Calder) gives the hawks a 5-3. Then a series of penalties including a horrible Xcheck on Allen, and just a pathetic Charging on T. Ruutu.

Top that off with J Ruutu taking an *enormous* dive, which then led to a legit penatly against the hawks with a high stick.

This is what happens when Ref's try to control a game. It is out of control because of make up calls- coupled with actual penalties on both sides.

I am a hawks fan, but I am trying to be fair here. Magoo and his Boy wonder side kick are the worst ref tandem I have ever seen(and that's saying something).

Magoo should not have a job. its that simple.

Nuck fans, I think you'd agree that the calls have been horrible to *BOTH* sides. Out of all those penalties only 3-4 were legit(and one was a delay of game that has to be called on Hedburg, and a High stick that has to be called on Poapst).

Just pathetic.

-fullmetalninja

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 06:02 PM

I do agree; only legit penalty in the whole period, in my opinion, was the high-stick on Naslund. Nothing else was deserving of being called, but the refs must be trying to show off to Bettman who's in attendance tonight.

~Canucklehead~

Big McLargehuge 11-20-2003 06:05 PM

every game officiated by McGough is arguably the worst in NHL history.

I don't really have many gripes against specific officials in the NHL but I cringe when I hear McGough's name...

Red 11-20-2003 06:06 PM

Agree. Terrible. The last call where the Hawks player broke his stick doing basically nothing and got penalized for it was pathetic.

This is pathetic. Magoo is brutal.

who_me? 11-20-2003 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
and just a pathetic Charging on T. Ruutu.

for all the praise that Tuomo Ruutu gets for finishing his checks, most of them are borderline charging/boarding. The one called tonight was legit. The one in Atlanta which caused the big scrum was another one in which his skates left the ice but was not called.

incawg 11-20-2003 06:17 PM

12 minor penalties in the first period. Seems that Mr.McGough is trying to show off for Bettman, who happens to be at the game.

Teemu 11-20-2003 06:17 PM

i love how there pretty much arent any penalties this period

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 06:20 PM

Garrett, Canuck homer though he may be, pointed out accurately that lots of the little players in the 2nd period would easily have been penalties in the first, no question.

~Canucklehead~

Teemu 11-20-2003 06:20 PM

pretty damn exciting game, though

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu08
pretty damn exciting game, though

The second period has been awesome; the first period was a joke.

~Canucklehead~

Oiler94 11-20-2003 06:40 PM

What were the fans chanting near the end of the 1st?

"We want ______!"

Anyone know what that ____ was?

RoyIsALegend* 11-20-2003 06:45 PM

That call on Nathan Dempsey with four seconds left in the first period was terrible. The Blackhawks were already down 5-on-3 and Dempsey is simply *pushing* his stick into Todd Bertuzzi's back to move him from in front of the net, and he gets a cross-checking call.

Terrible.

kmad 11-20-2003 06:45 PM

^I've narrowed it down to 'Dan' or 'Refs'

the sportsnet commentator thought it was Jeff so it's probably 'Refs'

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-20-2003 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
*This is not a "I'm *****ing because the Canucks are losing wah wah" thread*

The officiating in this game thus far has been God awful. The first period started off with penalty after penalty for infractions that weren't even infractions being called against the Canucks. Then, before the last penalty even expired, the "compensatory" calls against the Hawks started coming, and now the Hawks are getting penalty after penalty, and some of them for infractions that aren't even infractions.

The referees are trying to dictate this game and are preventing it from getting any flow to it at all; yes, a 5-on-3 is nice for Canucks fans, and I'm sure a 5-on-3 is nice for Hawks fans to see as well, but enough is enough. Let the players decide the game, not the whistles. Mick McGeough and his crew have been brutal.

Just needed to say all that...

~Canucklehead~

yeah... unfortunatly......

Hawkalyzer 11-20-2003 06:48 PM

magoo sucks

how the hell does he still have a job?

Enoch 11-20-2003 06:49 PM

McGough is an idiot. I can't watch the game because for some reason my entire centre ice package is blacked out tonight :madfire:, but I still know where your coming from. This guy is the worst ref. in the league.

fullmetalninja 11-20-2003 06:51 PM

who me.....

Is there a thread that you can't take a shot on Ruutu? You are a self-loathing hawks fan(?) troll............

Charging is the dumbest penalty in Hockey.... It could be called on almost every single hit in the NHL. The problem is when it is not called consistantly. Like, I don't know when Brad May nailed Calder? I'm not *****ing.. it shouldn't be ice skating. But they were looking for a makeup call and he was the target.

Honestly, he took less than two strides and only left his feet after he pushed him up along the boards(he wasn't flying into him).

Christ..............

-fullmetalninja

who_me? 11-20-2003 07:47 PM

Come on now....

go over to BHZ and ask them who was the best Hawks rookie tonight, and they'll say that not only was Ruutu the best Hawks rookie, he was the best Hawks player tonight. What complete BS. Even Radulov had a couple of good scoring chances, including a steal which resulted in a SOG. Anderson had an excellent game and stole 1 point for us. Now Ruutu.... he had a bad charging penalty in the offensive zone and a turnover which resulted in him taking a high-sticking penalty. Other than that, nothing much. Best rookie in the NHL? He's not even the best rookie on the Hawks! At least Jaarko drew a penalty LOL.

Reading his latest interview about how everything is much "quicker" in the NHL, I think spending some time in the AHL would do him some good. Now how exactly am I "taking a shot at Ruutu"?

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 08:18 PM

The second and third periods were drastic improvements I feel, but that first period, for both teams, was simply, and purely, BRUTAL as far as the officiating went, I think Canucks and Hawks fans alike can agree on that. The Dempsey penalty and the Allen penalty in my mind stick out as the two worst.

~Canucklehead~

BCCHL inactive 11-20-2003 08:20 PM

I did not see the game, so I cannot comment on any specific calls.

What I will say, is that anybody suggesting that the officials were "trying to dictate the game", or "show off to Gary Bettman" are out of their minds.

Officials in the NHL do not try to decide who wins the game. Bottom line.

Also, the NHL officials have no reason to impress Gary Bettman. He has little, if no control over who has zebra jobs in the NHL. Andy van Hellemond handles that.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-20-2003 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
I did not see the game, so I cannot comment on any specific calls.

What I will say, is that anybody suggesting that the officials were "trying to dictate the game", or "show off to Gary Bettman" are out of their minds.

Officials in the NHL do not try to decide who wins the game. Bottom line.

Also, the NHL officials have no reason to impress Gary Bettman. He has little, if no control over who has zebra jobs in the NHL. Andy van Hellemond handles that.

I disagree that officials don't try to dictate the games. Often I find that there's no middle ground, they either let the players play or they have their whistles in hand to let the players know who's in charge--thus dictating the game. At least in the 1st period tonight, that's what the Refs were doing, trying to dictate the flow of the game.

~Canucklehead~

fullmetalninja 11-20-2003 08:35 PM

Yea who me and you are the same guy that said Stevie Mac is our worst D man........

So J Ruutu gets credit for drawing a penalty- but T Ruutu does not get credit for the two(Naslund- interference, Cooke- X-checking)?

Hmmm troll maybe?

For the record, I did not think it was a strong game by Ruutu. And I don't know what BHZ you visit, but the one I have posted on(way too many times) currently has 1/2 the board talking about trading Ruutu because they have your level of mental competancy...j

We had a lot of shots on goal, but not many quality scoring chances and/or second chances.. This was true with almost every line. Somehow its all Ruutu's fault, I know(oh and Stevie Mac).

-fullmetalninja

SedinFan* 11-20-2003 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler94
What were the fans chanting near the end of the 1st?

"We want ______!"

Anyone know what that ____ was?

"WE WANT A REF!"

BCCHL inactive 11-20-2003 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I disagree that officials don't try to dictate the games. Often I find that there's no middle ground, they either let the players play or they have their whistles in hand to let the players know who's in charge--thus dictating the game. At least in the 1st period tonight, that's what the Refs were doing, trying to dictate the flow of the game.

~Canucklehead~

The referees will dictate to the point of keeping the game fair. That's why there is a such thing as penalties. They don't try to control the tempo of the game. That is done by the players and how they play the game. The referees simply react based on their judgment, to what happens on the ice during the game.