HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bob Gainey, after his first 20 games as GM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=29827)

plafleur10 11-20-2003 06:41 PM

Bob Gainey, after his first 20 games as GM

So what is your verdict, ladies and gentleman?

Mine: haven't seen him yet, where are you, Bob?

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-20-2003 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10

:cry: now they judge a gm on 20 games!!!

Habber 11-20-2003 07:23 PM

Verdict is there is no verdict after only 20 games. Give the dude some time. I'm just glad he hasn't panicked and made any dumb trades a la Houle.

Jeffrey 11-20-2003 07:56 PM

best gm of the league ! he didn't panic + he know we can't do nothing this year ... sorry guys but we'll have to wait until next year ... when we'll get rid of perreault,audette(probably buy-out),dackell,brisebois(buy out at 1m$ and after sign him for 1.5 m$ by year .. same as markov),traverse,dykhuis,juneau,sundstrom(maybe keep him only) ...
:joker: :D

foucan 11-21-2003 02:30 AM

20 Games GM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Verdict is there is no verdict after only 20 games. Give the dude some time. I'm just glad he hasn't panicked and made any dumb trades a la Houle.

You are so right KRYOPTIX, Gainey was first put in place to have us wait another year. Savard wouldn't last under all critics specially newpapers/radio/tv guys. Gainey has nobody except prospects to trade. He won't do it. No NHL Mgr will take our crap ( veterans ). So the big word is PATIENT and wait for our prospects to reach the NHL.

Darz 11-21-2003 03:33 AM

So far so good for Gainey, although I agree you really can't grade a GM after 20 gms. We all speculate on what Gainey should do, and who he should trade, etc. etc. but none of us real know much about what he's done day to day so far. A true grade for a GM can't really be made for a couple of years.

Leprechaun 11-21-2003 04:15 AM

For now...

Good move with the pick on the waivers of Bégin and Langdon... :handclap:

Let's see what is next... :dunno:
I sure he's gonna trade a young player for a vet....remember Iginla for Nieuwendyk in Dallas

Habber 11-21-2003 04:32 AM

No way he does this here. It was a different situation in Dallas, they were cup contenders and looking for some help in the playoffs, which obviously isn't the case here.

I can't see Gainey making any big moves this season. Maybe closer to the deadline he'll try to move Perrault, Juneau or some of the other UFA's but even that will be tough. There are an unprecedented amount of UFA's out there so the market for them won't be great. On the flip side, I can't see him trading away youth for vets because we will be able to sign UFA's for nothing in the summer.

There's just too much uncertainty over the impending lockout right now and I can't see their being a high demand for mediocre soon-to-be UFA's (Perrault, Juneau, Dackell, Quintal, etc)

Habs4ever 11-21-2003 04:59 AM

But Perrault is very good faceoff man and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
No way he does this here. It was a different situation in Dallas, they were cup contenders and looking for some help in the playoffs, which obviously isn't the case here.

I can't see Gainey making any big moves this season. Maybe closer to the deadline he'll try to move Perrault, Juneau or some of the other UFA's but even that will be tough. There are an unprecedented amount of UFA's out there so the market for them won't be great. On the flip side, I can't see him trading away youth for vets because we will be able to sign UFA's for nothing in the summer.

There's just too much uncertainty over the impending lockout right now and I can't see their being a high demand for mediocre soon-to-be UFA's (Perrault, Juneau, Dackell, Quintal, etc)

most of his contract will be paid off when we trade him, and team acquiring him won't be thinking about next year, probably contender in need for good faceoff name could land us possibly 3rd or fourth round pick!!

BLONG7 11-21-2003 05:00 AM

Gainey will not panic... I think Habs fans expect too much too soon.

StanleyCH25 11-21-2003 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10

Let me break this down a little...

After 20 games, you can evaluate a player's performance
After a year, you can evaluate a coach's performance
After 2-3 years, you can evaluate a GM's performance

There are not many things that a GM needs (or can) do in 20 games for a team. It can take up to 5 years to really appreciate what a GM has or hasn't done for a team.

PJ Wiggum 11-21-2003 10:19 AM

Right now I think Gainey is doing what he was supposed to do, be patient and not trade away any of the prospects for a short term solution. We need to keep all the young players we can, it is the best prospect pool we have had in ages.

BigM1ke 11-21-2003 10:49 AM

Bob Who? :)

Mental 11-24-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprechaun
For now...

I sure he's gonna trade a young player for a vet....remember Iginla for Nieuwendyk in Dallas

He was a contender at the time... Nieuwendyk was the missing part of his puzzle. There is no puzzle here... :cry:

Element 11-24-2003 07:54 PM

Unlike Houle, I trust Gainey from the start. The fact that he hasn't done much so far just shows his patience to take the time needed to evaluate his team and see what needs to be done.

Now with over 20 games to watch his team, I'm sure he knows what needs to be done and is now looking at how to get it done.

CrAzYNiNe 11-24-2003 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprechaun
For now...

Thing is the Stars WON the cup, with Igy would they of won the cup. He was building for a championship run, in Montreal he is building for the future.