HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Is Drinking those Energy Drinks bad for you? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=299940)

FLYLine24* 10-13-2006 12:19 AM

Is Drinking those Energy Drinks bad for you?

Im in 2 adult leagues and I always drink one of the huge XXL Monster drinks before each game (which is 2x a week and playing defense with only 3 dmen most of the time means im on the ice A LOT).

Is there any bad effects from drinking so many of these drinks?

http://www.screamingenergy.com/can/13.jpg

23.5 ounces of sugar and other fun stuff to keep me going during the game.

damoose212001 10-13-2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 6746228)
Im in 2 adult leagues and I always drink on of the huge XXL Monster drinks before each game (which is 2x a week and playing defense with only 3 dman most of the time im on the ice A LOT).

Is there any bad effects from drinking so many of these drinks?

http://www.screamingenergy.com/can/13.jpg

23.5 ounces of sugar and other fun stuff to keep me going during the game.

Once they run out, you supposively "hit into a wall" It happened to me once, but with the bars, never the drinks. We were playing the PA state champs, I had em shut out through the 1st period, then I went out in the 2nd and third and thought i was taking a nap on the ice. I'm a big fan of the old school red bull though, tastes great, and works good. I'd do one before the game, and in between the 2nd and 3rd...If not that, i'm all for powerade though.

nikebauer 10-13-2006 12:28 AM

Try Bawls

HVPOLARBEARS19 10-13-2006 01:34 AM

Im taking a nutrition class at college and we just covered these drinks...the professor is extremely knowledgable and basically what she said was that it was a bunch of B.S....basically all it is is a very sugary drink, which in turn has high calories. This will provide short term energy, but if you're looking for a long term fix, they're not gonna do it for you...Since you're playing in a game you'll be having a lot of calories to burn, so they're not really bad for you, but all that other crap in it like "Ultra high energy", "Crazy Ginseng for enhanced performance!!!" etc. is just
B.S. Basically, you might as well drink a soda, it'll have just about the same effect...Some energy drinks have been taken off the market for having some pretty bad side effects, can't remember which ones, but I would say your better off just drinking water and eating a meal high in carbs a few hours before the games...a general rule seems to be that supplements = bad.

bfire 10-13-2006 01:56 AM

You should research Taurine. I think there may be long term health effects from it. It's one of the main ingredients. I know they also use Guarana, but i believe it's just seeds of caffeine.

Gino 14 10-13-2006 05:48 AM

I used one for a while, I thought it helped out. After a time, I did more to get in shape, concentrated on better eating habits, and got more ice time. I cut out the drink and actually felt better at the end of my games. I think they are just a band-aid for poor nutrition, not a supplement for good.

Mr Jiggyfly 10-13-2006 08:01 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ull/index.html

Espn also did an article about this. I can't find the link though.

It basically talked about guys like John Henderson (Jax Jags) and other football players who drink it before games.

It speeds up your heart rate to dangerous levels and a few players said in the article they stopped drinking it because of this.

stick9 10-13-2006 08:04 AM

I switched from redbull to vitamin water energy formula.

www.vitaminwater.com

Doctor Hook 10-13-2006 08:36 AM

Nothing beats drinking a lot of water the day of a game and the hours leading up to it. You'll have plenty of energy. Energy drinks are not where it's at.

However, if we're mixing Red Bull with Jagermeister, then that's awesome.

Hugh Madbrough 10-13-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Hook (Post 6747551)
Nothing beats drinking a lot of water the day of a game and the hours leading up to it. You'll have plenty of energy. Energy drinks are not where it's at.

that sounds disgusting!

hckyguy14 10-13-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Hook (Post 6747551)

100% right!

Grave77digger 10-13-2006 10:06 AM

Jager Bomb!

Bob Clarke Fan Club 10-13-2006 10:15 AM

At Work.....

We do 12-14 days and cover 8-10 km of mountain terrain at work each day and the guys I work with pound 3-5 of these down during each one...this is good info cause I have seen guys "hit the wall." There'd be people fainting in front of you...the vitamin H2o looks like good stuff. Personally, after seeing what I've seen with these drinks...I'll stick to the Tim Horton's. There's no buzz like it, although it's probably easier to get off crack.:help:

Avery4Byng* 10-13-2006 11:16 AM

I had this 5 hour energy drink from 7-11 before last game. it gave me a decent amount of energy but after the game I actually wanted to sleep in the dressing room. I will stick to a red bull from now on I think.

EmptyNetter 10-13-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 (Post 6746575)
Im taking a nutrition class at college and we just covered these drinks...the professor is extremely knowledgable and basically what she said was that it was a bunch of B.S....basically all it is is a very sugary drink, which in turn has high calories. This will provide short term energy, but if you're looking for a long term fix, they're not gonna do it for you...Since you're playing in a game you'll be having a lot of calories to burn, so they're not really bad for you, but all that other crap in it like "Ultra high energy", "Crazy Ginseng for enhanced performance!!!" etc. is just
B.S. Basically, you might as well drink a soda, it'll have just about the same effect...Some energy drinks have been taken off the market for having some pretty bad side effects, can't remember which ones, but I would say your better off just drinking water and eating a meal high in carbs a few hours before the games...a general rule seems to be that supplements = bad.

I agree with everything except the part in bold. Carb loading is a good idea, but only if it's 24 hours before the game. Your body needs that much time to break the food down into usable energy. Eat moderately on game day or your food will sit like a rock in your stomach and will probably drain your energy. Little or no food within 3 hours of your game -- only water or gatorade.

Grave77digger 10-13-2006 11:45 AM

Games at 10 PM are a pain in the ***. I regularly have a Redbull before a game just to "wake up".

ArchieIsGod 10-13-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNetter (Post 6748759)
I agree with everything except the part in bold. Carb loading is a good idea, but only if it's 24 hours before the game. Your body needs that much time to break the food down into usable energy. Eat moderately on game day or your food will sit like a rock in your stomach and will probably drain your energy. Little or no food within 3 hours of your game -- only water or gatorade.

i agree ill eat alot of pasta the night before and the next day ill have a piece of grilled chicken for lunch and fish a few hours b4 gametime...with lots of water

edit: then again ovechkin eats steak b4 everygame so...

HSHS 10-13-2006 11:56 AM

Citomax

Can be bought at most bike shops. Better for your body and provides lasting energy.

mooseOAK* 10-13-2006 12:06 PM

I use those drinks sometimes but not as a substitute for a good meal two or three hours beforehand. As someone else mentioned it helps to have a bit of a kick before a late night game.

I have heard that Brodeur drinks a can of Sprite before the game and in between periods and Darcy Tucker drinks Coke mixed with coffe bfore a game.

Seth Lake 10-13-2006 12:14 PM

USA Hockey Magazine has a pretty good article on this subject this month.

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/sto...ght_nav=normal

In the past I've encountered Red Bull and ephedra use in the locker room pregame and in both instances we had players experience negative effects on the rink.

Our league had a Red Bull sponsorship one year a few years ago and the players stocked up on free Red Bull prior to games and on the rink we had players bouncing off the walls through the first period, but not really doing anything effective until the start of the second period when they began to "come down". However that didn't last of course and by the end of the second period they were dead tired. For the final game of a tournament we had a little "experiment" and the players didn't drink any Red Bull and we had a much better game and the players who were drinking Red Bull had a more consistent effort and said they didn't "hit the wall" as they were doing with the Red Bull.

A couple of seasons later we had a couple of players using ephedra prior to the games. Well...we started the season with a penalty problem and those players were the main culprits. I didn't know of their use of ephedra prior to our second tournament when we had two games in four hours in NJ, but they were at separate rinks. Well...we took some bad penalties and lost the first game, but while going back to the other rink for our second game we got lost and travelled around NJ for about 2.5 hours. In the car those two players were lamenting that they didn't get to go back to the hotel to "take their pills". When I asked what pills they were taking...they explained. I discussed with them our penalty problem and reinforced that they were some of the main culprits in the aggressive penalty category and asked them to skip the "pills" for this game. For the first time all season...we picked up just one penalty and we actually tied the opponent who was considered to be the favorite.

In both cases the players decided to stop using the supplements on their own. I'm probably lucky that they did so that I didn't have to fight with them, but the problems were so evident to them after our little "experiments" that they realized first-hand what the culprits really were.

MikeD 10-13-2006 12:38 PM

Taurine is a direct actor on the CNS. One study concludes that long term exposure at a level of 600% the RDA could cause permanent damage. This would equate to drinking 4-6 cans of Red bull every day for a period of slightly over 6 months. Along with the physiological affects there is the phycholigical. Mood swings, hyperactivity, Anxiety/Panic attacks etc etc have been associated with its use.

PeterSidorkiewicz 10-13-2006 01:10 PM

I always have an energy drink before my games, I never feel OVER energized and I never feel dead tired either, its more of a routine now, and it could by psychological, but I do feel more energized, nothing like bouncing off the walls though.

I cant WAIT to try the new energy drink, COCAINE.

http://www.drinkcocaine.com/mainindex.php

PeterSidorkiewicz 10-13-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 6749314)
Taurine is a direct actor on the CNS. One study concludes that long term exposure at a level of 600% the RDA could cause permanent damage. This would equate to drinking 4-6 cans of Red bull every day for a period of slightly over 6 months. Along with the physiological affects there is the phycholigical. Mood swings, hyperactivity, Anxiety/Panic attacks etc etc have been associated with its use.

I kind of think this is stupid though, 4-6 cans a day? If I have 4-6 fast food meals per day obviously its not good for you. If I had 6 beers per day the long term effects probably wont be good for you. Too much of almost anything is usually not good for you, so I wouldnt expect energy drinks to be any different.

Hugh Madbrough 10-13-2006 01:24 PM

I normally have a red bull before games. I don't crash.

Goalie_Gal 10-13-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNetter (Post 6748759)
Eat moderately on game day or your food will sit like a rock in your stomach and will probably drain your energy. Little or no food within 3 hours of your game -- only water or gatorade.

Not everyone can do this. There's no way I could go 3 hours without food and then play hockey. I tend towards problems with blood sugar so in addition to my regular meals and snacks I have a powerbar on the way to the rink and usually one right after playing. Of course, lots of water too, but in regards to food, that's what I do.