HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Edm/Mtl/Atl Trade Rumour (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30056)

jofa 11-21-2003 01:53 PM

Edm/Mtl/Atl Trade Rumour

Has anyone else heard about this three-way rumour between Montreal, Edmonton and Atlanta? Here's the link and rumour:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=30014
(from Montreal board)

my buddy was on an Edmonton business trip and heard this on a talk show. I don`t have the source so please don`t ask for it. They
said it may be done next week if Waddell will part with Coburn

Montreal receives Stefan, Stoll ,Atlanta`s first pick in 2004, and Edmonton`s 2nd in 2004 or 2005

Edmonton receives Coburn, Hainsey, Hossa

Atlanta receives Comrie, Semenov and Zednick

He mentions that Atlanta will only part with Coburn if they get a potential top 3 d man back , he also mentioned that the habs really like Stoll and Zednick may of been a one year wonder.

Interesting but I don`t think it goes down

From an Edmonton perspective:
Oilers give up: Comrie, Semenov, Stoll, 2nd round pick 2004 or 2005
Oilers receive: Coburn, Hainsey, Hossa

What do you guys think? Stoll and Semenov would be tough to lose, but Hossa has big potential and could be a great fit in Edmonton, and Coburn and Hainsey would give the Oilers a very bright future on defense...

OilerLord 11-21-2003 01:59 PM

The only reason why I don't see a deal like this happening, is that large multi-player/multi-team deals seldom happen anymore.

While it's not impossible, I would consider it highly unlikely...

My $0.02

The Rage 11-21-2003 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerLord
The only reason why I don't see a deal like this happening, is that large multi-player/multi-team deals seldom happen anymore.

While it's not impossible, I would consider it highly unlikely...

My $0.02

Oiler lord is right. Deals in todays nhl are difficult to pull off because of salary concerns and also big deals don't happen because the number of players heading each way has got to be the same (or close to it). This deal just looks unfeasible from a salary perspective let alone a hockey perspective.

Seachd 11-21-2003 02:06 PM

Legitimate or not, it's certainly very interesting, and I'm racking my brain thinking it over. I really like Stoll and Semenov, but Hainsey and Coburn are extremely intriguing. The part of the deal that kind of bugs me is Hossa. I'm not sold on him yet, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have someone like him. I'm not sure if I'd do it, but I definitely wouldn't turn it down without really thinking it over.

Does anyone know what show this came from?

FacelessButcher 11-21-2003 02:13 PM

Wow that one is just too crazy for words. Kind of shows how good our drafting has been of late if it goes down(I agree very unlikely)

(in terms of draft picks)
Edm gives=
-3rd pick(91st overall 1999=Comrie)
-2nd pick(36th overall 1999=Semenov)
-2nd pick(36th overall 2002=Stoll)
-2nd pick 2004 or 2005

Edm gets=
-1st pick(16th overall 2000=Hossa)
-1st pick(8th overall 2003=Coburn)
-1st pick(13th overall 2000=Hainsey)

so giving a (2nd*3)+3rd for a (1st*3) is a robbery but of course our guys are somewhat proven(and Comrie is a young star) doesn't mean much really just thought it was an interesting way to look at it.

momentai 11-21-2003 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seachd
Legitimate or not, it's certainly very interesting, and I'm racking my brain thinking it over. I really like Stoll and Semenov, but Hainsey and Coburn are extremely intriguing. The part of the deal that kind of bugs me is Hossa. I'm not sold on him yet, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have someone like him. I'm not sure if I'd do it, but I definitely wouldn't turn it down without really thinking it over.

Does anyone know what show this came from?

I'm very much of the same opinion. I'm not really enthusiastic about this deal. I don't really like either Hainsey or Hossa so the only portion of the deal that appeals to me is Coburn (though I think he's going to be #3 of the top 3 defenders in the draft that year). Personally, I'd much rather pass and hold onto Semenov and Stoll.

Yanner39 11-21-2003 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
I'm very much of the same opinion. I'm not really enthusiastic about this deal. I don't really like either Hainsey or Hossa so the only portion of the deal that appeals to me is Coburn (though I think he's going to be #3 of the top 3 defenders in the draft that year). Personally, I'd much rather pass and hold onto Semenov and Stoll.

I'm concerned with losing Stoll. Stoll will probably captain or alternate in a few years. The Oilers need to keep him. As for Semenov, I can't really comment. I don't know why he isn't playing. I'm sure Bergy has alot to do with that, but I don't thnk he's been terrible.

woody 11-21-2003 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai

I don't like this rumor either.

Semenov is slightly better then Hainsey
Stoll > Hossa(where would he play, not in the top 6)
Comrie and 2nd for Coburn, thats overpaying big time.

USC Trojans 11-21-2003 02:46 PM

I want Coburn to come to Edmonton, but not at the expense of Stoll and Semenov. Coburn may be a blue chipper, but no one can really tell if he'll make an impact. Stoll and Semenov have already played a handful of games and it looks like both could at least stick in the NHL.

Value-wise, I might have to think it over, but I get sentimental when it comes to our prospects.

GorillazXL 11-21-2003 03:05 PM

I think both Stoll and Semenov have great futures in the oiler system. I can't see us giving them both up for Hainsey and Hossa. Brings back memories of the Oil drafting Selmar Odylein, instead of Lyle. I would trade Comrie + a 2nd rounder 04 for Stefan and Coburn though.

GXL

Jim_Harnock 11-21-2003 03:06 PM

Coburn is the only guy the Oilers get in that deal worth acquiring. Hossa only shows up for half the games and Semenov is already better than Hainsey.

JJTopper 11-21-2003 03:12 PM

Pass...we give up too much IMO and I wouldn't give Stoll up period. Personally, I'm not a big Coburn fan (I like the other two "big three" Dmen in the draft) and while Hainsey seems like a solid young defender, Semenov could turn out a lot better. Hossa is definatly an interesting player, but I'm not totally sold he will be a big point producer and would much rather keep Stoll. So like I said, I'd pass forsure.

My 2cents. ;)

WFHACommish 11-21-2003 05:03 PM

RUBBISH!!!!

next...

Digger12 11-21-2003 05:16 PM

I have a very hard time believing that Atlanta would part with their 2004 first round pick in ANY deal.

IMO Hainsey and Hossa are overrated. Replace Hainsey with Komisarek, then maybe I'm interested. Otherwise, forget it.

The fact this 'source' heard it while listening to a talk show doesn't exactly lend it credence. If it was a talk show out here, wouldn't we have heard of it already somehow?

Oi'll say! 11-21-2003 05:20 PM

In addition to what's already stated above, I can't see the point of the Oilers acquiring yet another lw without Rita going the other way, and especially at the cost of 2 centers.

I prefer the Nashville assets to the guys listed here.

jadeddog 11-21-2003 06:36 PM

i cant see why edmonton would even THINK about such a deal... we would be overpaying by a country mile for coburn.... not even CLOSE as far as im concerned..... stoll is gonna be a keeper as is semenov, why they would give them up for 2 players who *might* be regular NHLers one day is beyond me

FacelessButcher 11-21-2003 07:13 PM

link for discussion on the trade board

Jeffrey 11-21-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody
I don't like this rumor either.

Semenov is slightly better then Hainsey
Stoll > Hossa(where would he play, not in the top 6)
Comrie and 2nd for Coburn, thats overpaying big time.

well... we'll keep hossa then ...
he's my favorite player with bulis since the start of the year he could turn like torres in the western conference.. i wouldn't trade him !!!
never !!

outKast* 11-21-2003 08:17 PM

No worries guys. This is total BS. If there's no source, then we shouldn't worry. Remember how many "front office members" claimed that Kyle McLaren was for sure coming to Edmonton in exchange for Poti? or how someone's cousin's son's daughter's bestfriend said that they had inside information that the Oilers were trading Todd Marchant for Jiri Dopita? ohh god. I think Spectors rumour about Legwand coming to Edmonton is the one to watch out for.

speeds 11-21-2003 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilflip
No worries guys. This is total BS. If there's no source, then we shouldn't worry. Remember how many "front office members" claimed that Kyle McLaren was for sure coming to Edmonton in exchange for Poti?

I have heard that the only reason that deal never went through is that the owners didn't want to take on the extra salary. No idea if that's true or not, just throwing it out there.

quat 11-21-2003 09:48 PM

Montreal gets hosed on this one... Atlanta makes out like a bandit... and Edmonton kind of goes sideways or gets a bit better if one factors in that Comrie doesn't want to play for the Oilers any longer. Don't see it happening for similiar reasons given by previous posters.

kruezer 11-21-2003 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilflip
No worries guys. This is total BS. If there's no source, then we shouldn't worry. Remember how many "front office members" claimed that Kyle McLaren was for sure coming to Edmonton in exchange for Poti? or how someone's cousin's son's daughter's bestfriend said that they had inside information that the Oilers were trading Todd Marchant for Jiri Dopita? ohh god. I think Spectors rumour about Legwand coming to Edmonton is the one to watch out for.

Hey I haven't seen much on that one, what would Edmonton give for Legwand, Comrie couldn't be enough IMO, but maybe I'm crazy.

Yanner39 11-22-2003 02:11 AM

And Rita's playing well in TO. I want him to get a Horcoff-like auditions on the big club before we trade him.