HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What would you guys think about? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=301432)

Shabutie 10-17-2006 12:45 PM

What would you guys think about?

Let's discuss this the legal HF way...Which of these trade/signing proposals would you prefer?

a) Signing Brian Leetch
b) Trading Perez/Danis/Lapierre for Brewer (st-louis)
c) Perez/Kost for Morris + pick
d) Bonk and Perez for Hamrlik

oop007* 10-17-2006 12:47 PM

rather Lat traded then Kost

Fido22 10-17-2006 12:49 PM

For now, I would prefer we simply play Streit.

Habsfan18 10-17-2006 12:51 PM

A.

AD 10-17-2006 12:52 PM

We have tons of lower pairing D. No need to trade Perez, Kost, Lats or anybody else.

What we need is another top pairing D-man or a Big Centre. Nothing else is worth it.

Shabutie 10-17-2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AymanD (Post 6787732)
We have tons of lower pairing D. No need to trade Perez, Kost, Lats or anybody else.

What we need is another top pairing D-man or a Big Centre. Nothing else is worth it.

All of the guys listed in the trade proposals are top 4 D. Don't forget that Niinima and Hamrlik played together back in the day and were simply dynamite on the PP.

hockeyprincess 10-17-2006 12:58 PM

We need another good centre now that Ribeiro is gone.
Any suggestions?

AD 10-17-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6787777)
All of the guys listed in the trade proposals are top 4 D. Don't forget that Niinima and Hamrlik played together back in the day and were simply dynamite on the PP.

Top 4... meh... more like 4th than 1-2-3.

None of those guys would be top 2 on the Habs. We need someone of Markov's calibre or better.

We already have

Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Niinima, Bouillon, Streit, Côté fight for 4 spots.

We have good defensive depth, what we lack is top-end talent.

Blind Gardien 10-17-2006 01:08 PM

I don't really understand why any of those guys (except Leetch) would be considered to be available? The Flames need Bonk and Perezhogin? The Blues are scrapping their season already with their blueline already thinned by injuries? Looks to me like somebody just ran their finger down the list of impending UFAs. We can't get Hamrlik or Brewer right now any more than prospective teams who come knocking on our door are likely to walk away with Markov, Souray, or Rivet.

As for Morris... perchance the Coyotes are thinking that they signed him for too much? Maybe so. Doesn't mean we could afford to pay him $3.9M either, though, especially if we were giving up Perez and Kost for him. There is this thing called a salary cap, see...

And Leetch... I'm as sure as anybody in a cushy armchair can be that he's not going to come and play in Montreal, no matter whether we think he'd be an upgrade on Streit or not. (Which IMO is debateable).

Bottom line... we now have 8 legit NHL defensemen, and now we even have a trio of experienced recall options in the AHL (Jancevski, Traverse, Cote). If two of the top-8 are injured and one of the recall trio, well it still leaves us with 6 plus two emergency options. Hardly seems like a cause to go thinking of any D trades, IMO. We'll get our fill of playing guessing games with our D come summer time, no need to accelerate the program.

Shabutie 10-17-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AymanD (Post 6787804)
Top 4... meh... more like 4th than 1-2-3.

None of those guys would be top 2 on the Habs. We need someone of Markov's calibre or better.

We already have

Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Niinima, Bouillon, Streit, Côté fight for 4 spots.

We have good defensive depth, what we lack is top-end talent.

Morris would be a number 2 defenceman for us. Hamrlik could be number 3 with Niinima as number 4.

With Morris;
Morris - Markov
Komi - Souray
Niinima - Rivet

With Hamrlik;
Komi - Markov
Niinima - Hamrlik
Rivet - Souray

Either way you wanna look at it, a very solid defensive corp. When Dandy comes back Souray or Rivet is dealt.

Doc Hock 10-17-2006 01:11 PM

All interesting concepts but the boys have only played 4 games so why don't we wait until they played 5 before we start trading everyone away

doc hock:sarcasm:

Shabutie 10-17-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6787883)
I don't really understand why any of those guys (except Leetch) would be considered to be available? The Flames need Bonk and Perezhogin? The Blues are scrapping their season already with their blueline already thinned by injuries? Looks to me like somebody just ran their finger down the list of impending UFAs. We can't get Hamrlik or Brewer right now any more than prospective teams who come knocking on our door are likely to walk away with Markov, Souray, or Rivet.

As for Morris... perchance the Coyotes are thinking that they signed him for too much? Maybe so. Doesn't mean we could afford to pay him $3.9M either, though, especially if we were giving up Perez and Kost for him. There is this thing called a salary cap, see...

And Leetch... I'm as sure as anybody in a cushy armchair can be that he's not going to come and play in Montreal, no matter whether we think he'd be an upgrade on Streit or not. (Which IMO is debateable).

Bottom line... we now have 8 legit NHL defensemen, and now we even have a trio of experienced recall options in the AHL (Jancevski, Traverse, Cote). If two of the top-8 are injured and one of the recall trio, well it still leaves us with 6 plus two emergency options. Hardly seems like a cause to go thinking of any D trades, IMO. We'll get our fill of playing guessing games with our D come summer time, no need to accelerate the program.

We have 3m capspace and if we place Bouillon on Long term (which is likely imo) we'll have 4.875m

As for Brewer, I agree with what you said...But for Calgary (Hamrlik), if they want Bonk to center their first line...why not? Perezhogin has been doing great but we already have players that are virtual clones of him (but better; Sammy, Kovalev). If we drop Perez, we can either play Kost on the 3rd, or move Lats up and play both Downie and Murray.

mcphee 10-17-2006 01:19 PM

I think the timing here is off. I think the blog was specualating on what Mtl could or may do before the deal for JN. While the rumour shows up now, the speculation was probably from 2 weeks ago.

Shabutie 10-17-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Hock (Post 6787908)
All interesting concepts but the boys have only played 4 games so why don't we wait until they played 5 before we start trading everyone away

doc hock:sarcasm:

We're 1 Dman short of having to call up someone from Hamilton. Bouillon won't be back for a while and we don't know the whole situation with Dandy. Without Streit (who's coming off an injury), we don't even have a 7th D. We also know that Souray isn't 100%... It's only a matter of time before we're in a hole because of injuries.

westcoast habsfan 10-17-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6787646)
Let's discuss this the legal HF way...Which of these trade/signing proposals would you prefer?

a) Signing Brian Leetch
b) Trading Perez/Danis/Lapierre for Brewer (st-louis)
c) Perez/Kost for Morris + pick
d) Bonk and Perez for Hamrlik

None of the above.

A) Leetch isn't coming to Mont. and isn't a top-end defenceman anymore. There's no improvement here. We have good depth on D.

B) Way too much for Brewer who is U.F.A this year. I could live with a Souray/Brewer trade though. Brewer would work well within our speed is better concept.

C) Morris is the second-coming of Breeze-by. He is terribly inconsistent, isn't very physical or big, likes to cough the puck up and is seriously over rated, and over payed.

D) Hamrlik is on his way down. Perez is on his way up, not a good trade. Besides, Calg. needs a centreman just as much as we do.

Marksman 10-17-2006 01:50 PM

Signing Leetch is the only realistic one among those, if you take into consideration Habs depth at center and cap situation. And he wouldnt come for the money Canadiens could afford to pay him.

Blind Gardien 10-17-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 6787966)
We have 3m capspace and if we place Bouillon on Long term (which is likely imo) we'll have 4.875m

We have $3M cap space? How do you figure? We have close to $43M used up. Just a hair over $1M available in actuality. If you want to put Bouillon on LTIR and replace his salary, that's almost $3M. Still not enough for Morris.
Quote:

As for Brewer, I agree with what you said...But for Calgary (Hamrlik), if they want Bonk to center their first line...why not? Perezhogin has been doing great but we already have players that are virtual clones of him (but better; Sammy, Kovalev). If we drop Perez, we can either play Kost on the 3rd, or move Lats up and play both Downie and Murray.
So Calgary would like Bonk to play on their first line? Do you want to try floating that idea in the Flames group, perchance? :dunno:

Shabutie 10-17-2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 6788364)
We have $3M cap space? How do you figure? We have close to $43M used up. Just a hair over $1M available in actuality. If you want to put Bouillon on LTIR and replace his salary, that's almost $3M. Still not enough for Morris.

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

Edit: Actually I just noticed that that site probably takes into account the IR.