HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Salo and his injury (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30148)

Fincan 11-21-2003 08:06 PM

Salo and his injury

Apparently he broke his puckstopula as reported here

www.notareallink.com

It is a re-occurring injury that has been bothering him since he took a puck in the head that then bounced in to net and turned out to be the game winner during the 2002 Olympics.

But seriously though, obviously many of us trace the turn in Tommys play back to this infamous goal. Since then his play has serioulsy declined and he has gone from being a guy who was a top 10 goalie in the workd to a guy who is gonna have to fight for playing time against a guy who makes 3 million less than him and might have less games played in the NHL than Tommy has Games played in the Olympics (I could look it up but I am too lazy right now). I think the goal ruined his confidence (obviously) but I also think that the backlash in Sweden had a lot to do with it. Me and my wife checked out many Swedish sites (messageboards and newspapers) after that game and they wanted Salos head (in fairness they wanted all the Swedes publicly excuted in front of the Riksdagen but Salo seemed to get the brunt of the blame). I guess what I am really wondering is if you think that this one goal may have ruined his whole carrer, and also if you know of any other pro athete who seems to have had his whole career negatively influenced (if not ruined) by one bad bounce, play goal, etc. that they just never seemed to recover from.

Seriously I think that Salo doesnt need Peeters, he needs a sports psychologist. (but I dont want to get started on Peters, I am a fan of having goalie coaches who stopped a puck or two in their day :D )

metallicat 11-21-2003 08:09 PM

I don't think it is Salo that has the problem with the goal anymore, it is other people. Sure it is in the back of his mind, but that is in the past, and I am sure Tommy is professional enough and a good enough goalie mentally and physically to let things like that slide.

I think he is just in a slump right now, and when he comes back, if he plays good enough he will have his job back.

Fincan 11-21-2003 08:14 PM

I would like to think that he is proffessional enough to have completley overcome the goal by now too, but he has not been good consistently since that time. He was having his best season ever and didnt play well down the stretch (which was a big part of the Oilers missing the playoffs that year) and has not been the same since, aside from a the occassional hot streak.

gb701 11-22-2003 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fincan
I would like to think that he is proffessional enough to have completley overcome the goal by now too, but he has not been good consistently since that time. He was having his best season ever and didnt play well down the stretch (which was a big part of the Oilers missing the playoffs that year) and has not been the same since, aside from a the occassional hot streak.

so here is the real question - is he in a slump now, or was he on a hot streak then?

I am beginning to think that what we have seen recently is the real Tommy - he just may not be that good but had a hot streak that lasted awhile.

thoughts?