HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   An impression about our current team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=301966)

Demogod* 10-18-2006 04:30 PM

An impression about our current team

I have been following the Habs since the mid 80s and would like to fire off this modest impression I have.

They are playing a lot like the cup teams of the 80's and 90's. If I recall correctly, the teams of that time had a large number of games that were 1 goal differences. I'm not saying they are going to win the cup but it strikes me as something common.

Plus, common sense would say that they were "in" the game till the very end and had the chance to win which is a good thing IMO.

Let me know what you think because I don't have the statistics but it "feels" the same as I watch the games.

Dan K 10-18-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demogod (Post 6802288)
I have been following the Habs since the mid 80s and would like to fire off this modest impression I have.

They are playing a lot like the cup teams of the 80's and 90's. If I recall correctly, the teams of that time had a large number of games that were 1 goal differences. I'm not saying they are going to win the cup but it strikes me as something common.

Plus, common sense would say that they were "in" the game till the very end and had the chance to win which is a good thing IMO.

Let me know what you think because I don't have the statistics but it "feels" the same as I watch the games.

While I can't say I remember watching previous cup teams, note that we started last year exactly like this too. We won a lot of games early on, and they were all 1-goal wins.

Mike8 10-18-2006 04:59 PM

I don't think we can base much off of one-goal games. If memory serves me right, Montreal won a whole slew of one-goal games early last year, too. And the league in general has a lot of one-goal games.

I think the most intriguing characteristics of this team that can be related back to former Montreal successful clubs are the following:

1) A dedication, and excellence, in fundamentals like the PK, winning one-on-one battles, and faceoffs

2) Team cohesion seems to be a very real strength of this club.

3) A strong mix of youth and veterans. Every line has a well-spoken veteran, and every line has a youngster.

White Snake* 10-18-2006 06:04 PM

Lets plan the parade. :handclap:

Bryzga lol* 10-18-2006 06:41 PM

The habs started off this way last year, with a weaker team. Now with 3 strong lines, instead of one strong line and 2 mediocre ones, these one goal games could last a lot longer, especially with the solid goaltending they're getting.

larue* 10-18-2006 07:00 PM

There are times when the team is great, and there are times when they are not great, but for some reason just when you think they are going to get worse, they get better, so if they dont get worse they should get better in the long run, but if in the long run they dont appear to be as good as they should be better,,, then they might be better than they are good....so........we should be alright.

:help: :help:

x-bob 10-18-2006 07:05 PM

We said the exact same thing at the begining of last year when we were winning all those games in the last seconds. It doesn't mean anything IMO.

snowrunner* 10-18-2006 11:23 PM

kinda like last year....a small team, but not a very good one:pout:

baldrick 10-19-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riel (Post 6803680)
The habs started off this way last year, with a weaker team. Now with 3 strong lines, instead of one strong line and 2 mediocre ones, these one goal games could last a lot longer, especially with the solid goaltending they're getting.

"Now with 3 strong lines" :confused:

The first line is strong, the second line is useless, a capable third line, an underperforming fourth line. If Bonk didn't get those 2 goals :help:

LePoche69 10-19-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demogod (Post 6802288)

I think I need to see two more things before stating that it's right :

1- The second line making us win a game when our usuall leaders are coming out flat (that could have been it yesterday. Not that the others came flat, but I do think that despite playing generaly good, they often made the bad final choice of play, so didn't score)

2- Our goalie(s) stealing a game that we should have lost.

When these two aspects will have happened a few times in this long season, then the comparison could be true.

Mad Habber 10-19-2006 01:38 PM

I gotta say, I like the make-up of this team. Some quality depth up front. If we run into injury trouble up front, we can always recall Kots, Lapierre, Ferland. Kots can be put up on the top two lines in a pinch to see what we can get out of him. Plus Perez, Bonk, Johnson and Lats can also move to the top two lines. The only weak links I see so far are, Sammy and Lats, but the season is still young, and they have some time to adjust and get better. I'm not that worried yet. Koivu is also a weak link, if he gets injured for a prolonged length of time, because we don't really have anyone to replace him. Unless Grabs is ready? I don't know. If Saks only misses a handful of games, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

On D, we have some injuries now, and we still have 6 NHL players there. With the acquisition of Ninimaa, our depth at that position has increased greatly. No Pronger or Lidstrom back there, but Carolina didn't have one of those either. And this leaves Cote as the #9 guy. Pretty good depth in my books.

In net, Huet, Abi, Danis and Halak. Halak hasn't played a game yet but if injuries hit hard, you never know, we may see him. Anyways, I would be a lot more confortable seeing him in net, than seeing the 18 year old Olivier Michaud of a few years ago. Even if Michaud played well for his short stint. Anyways, that is still pretty good depth.

All in all, I see good depth at every position except center. And even at center, as long as it isn't for an extended period for Koivu, we should still be ok.