HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Current Habs edition: 5 most overrated players on these boards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=302192)

knuckles3030 10-19-2006 10:38 AM

Current Habs edition: 5 most overrated players on these boards

Latendresse: Has the POTENTIAL to become a good top 6 forward, but nowhere near the hype heís been getting. Donít know if he can ever become a great POWER-FORWARD. Has not shown great physicality so far, and although he hit a lot to get a spot on the team, itís not part of his natural game and he doesnít that mean streak needed.

Plekanec: A good two-way forward with great speed and decent skills. Will not be a great second centerman who can put up 60+ points. If he can put up 40-50, that would be great, but thatís the definition of a 3rd center on a contending team these days.

Bouillon: A reliable 6th defenseman, not top 4 material on any contending team. May look like top 4 on OUR team in some games, but thatís no compliment to our defensive corp.

Perezhogin: Has the potential, but heís a long way from achieving that potential, at least the one that many posters expect from him on these boards.

Begin: Tons of heart and grit, but still a fourth liner. Not the heart and soul of this team nor one of the most valuable players on this team as some here make him out to be.

This is no knock on any of these players, but itís sometimes a little annoying how overrated they are with many posters on these boards that Iíve been reading for 2+ years now.

Now watch the fanboys come out with guns blazingÖ:help:

GoneAway 10-19-2006 10:50 AM

Kudos on the bold post.

I agree on all counts, although I must admit Perez is starting to make a me a believer.

terreur 10-19-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chezz (Post 6810190)
Kudos on the bold post.

I agree on all counts, although I must admit Perez is starting to make a me a believer.

This year... Perezhogin has been playing amazing... when it's going to start going in... it won't stop :yo:

Darz 10-19-2006 10:54 AM

Generally speaking....

Overrated = all prospects and rookies

Underrated = most veterans

fredez 10-19-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuckles3030 (Post 6810088)
Latendresse: Has the POTENTIAL to become a good top 6 forward, but nowhere near the hype heís been getting. Donít know if he can ever become a great POWER-FORWARD. Has not shown great physicality so far, and although he hit a lot to get a spot on the team, itís not part of his natural game and he doesnít that mean streak needed.

Who knows how good he can become? He's only 19, give him time. Hitting has always been part of his natural game.

Plekanec: A good two-way forward with great speed and decent skills. Will not be a great second centerman who can put up 60+ points. If he can put up 40-50, that would be great, but thatís the definition of a 3rd center on a contending team these days.

How do you know if he can't put up 60+ points? And I don't think there is a lot of 3rd liners who put up 40-50 points...

Bouillon: A reliable 6th defenseman, not top 4 material on any contending team. May look like top 4 on OUR team in some games, but thatís no compliment to our defensive corp.

If anything, Bouillon is underrated. I think he has underrated offensive abilities.

Perezhogin: Has the potential, but heís a long way from achieving that potential, at least the one that many posters expect from him on these boards.

I think Perezhogin has shown great things so far this year and he's not that far away (1 year maybe) from reaching his potential which I think is a 50-60 points guy.

Begin: Tons of heart and grit, but still a fourth liner. Not the heart and soul of this team nor one of the most valuable players on this team as some here make him out to be.

You need guys like Bťgin to win a cup and hardworking players have always been popular in Montreal.

This is no knock on any of these players, but itís sometimes a little annoying how overrated they are with many posters on these boards that Iíve been reading for 2+ years now.

Strazzobosco 10-19-2006 11:04 AM

I agree with you, but I'd like to add 2 names:

Koivu: he is good; damn good. But not the God he is made. This board is making him the equivalent of the best center/captain in the NHL! (I might be killed for this. Tell my wife I love her.)

Komisarek: Again, a very good defenceman, but not the franchise defenseman we are making him to be.

As for Bouillon, I disagree with you; we make him a top 4 defenseman on OUR lineup; no one makes him a top 4 on a contending team!

DicAnns 10-19-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 6810227)
Generally speaking....

haha! right on! :clap:

Habber Hockey 10-19-2006 11:08 AM

All I have to add is apart from Begin and Bouillon. The rest of that list are still so young we must be patient with them even if it means watching boring games and even losing once and a while. I'm so tired of seeing players that we develop go elsewhere and do well :shakehead

CareyClutch 10-19-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

all true but add koivu and huet

hototogisu 10-19-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Generally speaking....

Topic over :clap:

Habs 4 Life 10-19-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Generally speaking....

Bingo

I would have to say this year Samsonov.For some reason when we acquired him he became an elite superstar and a 50 goal scorer!!

BobbyFischer* 10-19-2006 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=knuckles3030;6810088]Latendresse: Has the POTENTIAL to become a good top 6 forward, but nowhere near the hype heís been getting. Donít know if he can ever become a great POWER-FORWARD. Has not shown great physicality so far, and although he hit a lot to get a spot on the team, itís not part of his natural game and he doesnít that mean streak needed.
QUOTE]

He doesnt have the mean streak to become a power forward??

Look, hes played a handful of games in the NHL as a rookie, first games with MEN. Remember when Komisarek played his first few games?? There is a huge transition period that must take place before a player feels totally comfortable in his new surroundings. He is very physically strong don't worry about that. Don't say hitting is not a part of his natural game and he doesnt have a mean streak because you'll regret it maybe not now.. maybe not in a few months, but FOR SURE in a few years IMO.

BobbyFischer* 10-19-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 6810533)
Bingo

I would have to say this year Samsonov.For some reason when we acquired him he became an elite superstar and a 50 goal scorer!!

BS

In fact everyone rags on Samonsov like theres no tommorow

Souffle 10-19-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 6810533)
Bingo

No doubt according to some, but I remember quite a few posters feeling uneasy about this one. I remember even before he was signed there was a good number of posters who felt that Samsonov was a UFA Plan C or D or not at all.

Bouchard 10-19-2006 11:58 AM

I think Samsonov has been playing pretty well. Give him time and I think he'll start producing more.

phil666 10-19-2006 12:09 PM

Overrated and no one mentions huet?:shakehead

coolguy21415 10-19-2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil666 (Post 6810983)
Overrated and no one mentions huet?:shakehead

He's only overrated if he doesn't improve from his play so far this season.

coolguy21415 10-19-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouchard (Post 6810858)
I think Samsonov has been playing pretty well. Give him time and I think he'll start producing more.

If he'd dish out the puck a couple seconds earlier, or instead of trying to beat the third man, he'd be playing fantastic. For a line that has great individual passers, they rarely do it. I do, however, have faith that they'll get it together soon.

Shabutie 10-19-2006 12:19 PM

Overrated

Huet: The guy doesn't have the natural skill that it takes to be a top tier goalie in the nhl and depends on positioning...The problem is that if the defence gets caught out of position...he won't be there to bail you out.

Koivu: Love the guy but he isn't "god".

Kovalev: Some people still expect him to show up every 2 games :D . He also has very little creativity and vision, which is why he stalls so much with his stickhandling.

Plekanec: This guy was supposed to be Ribs replacement and I think he's clearly shown that most of the time he doesn't know what the hell to do with the puck in the o-zone.

Markov: Some people think he's top 10 in the league (other top 15).

Underrated

Begin: Some people don't realise what his hard work does sometimes...He goes out there and frustrates oponents and sometimes lures them into making mistakes (see: Havlat).

Souray: The guy can sometimes be a slug defensively, but normally he's solid... Without Souray, our PP looks like ****.

Streit: Some people are finally seeing that he doesn't have to be physical to be effective.

zzoo 10-19-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Latendresse:
Plekanec:
Bouillon:
Perezhogin:
Begin:

Latendresse is greatly over-rated by Quebec media, slightly over-rated by us.
Plekanec: agreed
Bouillon: disagreed. On the contrary, I think he's under-rated
Perez: so-so
Begin: agreed

The player that I see some people on this board over-rate too much is Koivu. Some treats him as God, the best player, etc. In my opinion, compared to the league, he's an average 1st-line center. I know that Koivu contributes a lot to the team, but he's not as talented as some of you believe.

montreal 10-19-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Agree with most of what you said, but it's easy to point the finger at Lats, Perezhogin and Pleks as overrated since 9 out of 10 prospects will never live up to the hype or so called potential. That's not to say that Pleks or the others won't, they certainly could or even exceed but chances are on the side of each prospect being overrated just like Komisarek, Kostitsyn and future 1st round picks. Fans want to think they got the next star, but the reality is that it's very unlikely when you consider that in the past you would have close to 300 kids drafted each year, yet how many went on to become stars, a small handful at best, so odds are not in your favor. That doesn't mean that you can't draft a couple solid nhlers each year and hopefully we are doing that.

Perezhogin is working hard but not getting the results, hopefully he will but the chances of him ending up as good as I myself had hoped is less likely. I still think he'll be a solid player for us as long as he can burry a few chances here and there.

Plekanec didn't have the hype when he was drafted but since he's turned pro he's been one of our top prospects and now he's turning into a very solid young nhler. I have no clue what his offensive totals will be but I like the way he plays and hope to see him have a great career with us.

Lats I was not in favor of him making the team, and so far he's looked really bad, he's done next to nothing. Once he adapts to the speed of the game, then we'll see what he can do but for now it's painful watching him skate out there.

Komisarek is another that was hyped to death. I personally never saw the Stevens compairisons, I hate comparing any prospect to any nhler, it is just silly imo. Just about all 1st rounders will get hyped, especially when they are a top 10 pick. It's been a long road of development, but imo I am very impressed with the way he's playing and hope to see him continue to get better. I still don't know how much more he will progress, and while it's taken him a couple years, I really like where he's at and if he can get better, that would be outstanding for the teams future.

Where I don't agree is the Begin comments. imo he is among the heart and soul of the team, yes he's got 4th line talent but no one works harder then him on this team imo, and I would love to see any player give as much effort as he does on a nightly basis. I'm a huge, huge Begin fan, and I can't wait till we get Begin II with the team in Maxim Lapierre.

SpezNc 10-19-2006 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=BobbyFischer;6810635]
Quote:

QUOTE]

He doesnt have the mean streak to become a power forward??

Look, hes played a handful of games in the NHL as a rookie, first games with MEN. Remember when Komisarek played his first few games?? There is a huge transition period that must take place before a player feels totally comfortable in his new surroundings. He is very physically strong don't worry about that. Don't say hitting is not a part of his natural game and he doesnt have a mean streak because you'll regret it maybe not now.. maybe not in a few months, but FOR SURE in a few years IMO.

Latendresse is not ready for the NHL.. its obvious... he may become a power forward but right he belong in the junior! No way he is too good for junior.. he has been inconsistent in junior!

Phaneuf was ready to hit the NHL.. the same goes to Crosby, Carter, Richards, Bergeron & cie

Latendresse is not.. neither was Joe Thornton in 1997! But Thorton was a phenom.. still, his bad first year could have burn him...

YESTERDAY when the fourth line was in trouble with rivet and souray in the defensive zone for nearly 20 second, i didn't see latendresse in the camera...

He looks like he is avoiding the puck to be sure its not his fault... But by doing that he put his team on trouble...

againt Ottawa, the goal were souray looks bad shows the samething....

LATENDRESSE = OVER RATED

Shabutie 10-19-2006 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=SpezNc;6811151]
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 6810635)

Latendresse is not ready for the NHL.. its obvious... he may become a power forward but right he belong in the junior! No way he is too good for junior.. he has been inconsistent in junior!

Phaneuf was ready to hit the NHL.. the same goes to Crosby, Carter, Richards, Bergeron & cie

Latendresse is not.. neither was Joe Thornton in 1997! But Thorton was a phenom.. still, his bad first year could have burn him...

YESTERDAY when the fourth line was in trouble with rivet and souray in the defensive zone for nearly 20 second, i didn't see latendresse in the camera...

He looks like he is avoiding the puck to be sure its not his fault... But by doing that he put his team on trouble...

againt Ottawa, the goal were souray looks bad shows the samething....

LATENDRESSE = OVER RATED

I don't think Lats is overrated. We knew the guy wasn't going to be a force this season and I'm glad that they put him on the 4th. He'll learn the game as he goes along and hopefully take some powerskating lessons and drop weight in the off-season, cuz he's the slowest skater I've seen in a long long time (imo, slower than Allison).

Edit: Lats is pissing me off though since the Dimaio hit; it seems as though he's scared to hit ppl on the boards, and just rolls off of them all the time.

oli500 10-19-2006 12:34 PM

Quote:

I dont come here and praise players that dont deserve to be praised. If there playing well I well let people know and if there struglin well Im not going to praise them if they dont deserve it.

This being said whats rong with liking players who work hard most of the time. Thats why people like these players and adore them. Funny you mention these players but take a second to think about what these players do that makes people like them so much and also what do all the playes you mention have in comon. they all work hard. People think of begin not as a guy whos going to put points on a nightly basis but a player that going to work his *** off every shift and a player who cares about the habs. Thats why people love him and frankly I dont blame them because we need players with this kind of attitude. Now Latendresse, a young kid who has the right attitude, acts like a winner, thus what he supose to do. Hes a guy with great amount of talent but to achieve that talent you have to work hard and so far latendresse has been great to have urond the team because he is learning and not winning. the goals well come. Latendresse for a young kid has sat in the corner and is not trying to take away the spotlight from the vets. Plekanec is another foward that wont stand out but man he works hard. Bouillon hits and is alot like begin. So yeah these player might not be as talented as a Jagr,hossa,koivu,kovalev but you know why there overated because they work there ***** off every night.

coolguy21415 10-19-2006 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Shabutie;6811191]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezNc (Post 6811151)
I don't think Lats is overrated. We knew the guy wasn't going to be a force this season and I'm glad that they put him on the 4th. He'll learn the game as he goes along and hopefully take some powerskating lessons and drop weight in the off-season, cuz he's the slowest skater I've seen in a long long time (imo, slower than Allison).

Edit: Lats is pissing me off though since the Dimaio hit; it seems as though he's scared to hit ppl on the boards, and just rolls off of them all the time.

Wouldn't you be? He's a 19-year old kid, and might have ended a career. Such things aren't easy to shrug off when you're so young.

4th line time is going to serve him better than another season in junior. I do expect they'll send him to the AHL next season unless he improves by leaps and bounds. There's always the possiblity of him getting sent back to junior this season, too.

[edit] I was reading yesterday how Latendresse was the first to wear #84 in the NHL, but apparently when Ferland was called up last season, he was the first to wear #86, too. Just thought I'd slip in an interesting aside.