HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NY Post:Latest Islander rumors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30269)

CREW99AW 11-22-2003 11:26 AM

NY Post:Latest Islander rumors
 
Originally Posted by NYIsles1 on the isles page.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/43064.htm

TRADE WINDS BLOWING
AROUND THE ISLES

The Flames have expressed minor interest in Cairns, who has struggled on this trip, while the Blackhawks have made no secret of their intent to deal for Parrish.

Several well-placed sources have told The Post, however, that there really is nothing on the table right now as far as the Isles are concerned, partly because of the uncertainty surrounding the expiration of the CBA next year.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-22-2003 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Originally Posted by NYIsles1 on the isles page.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/43064.htm

TRADE WINDS BLOWING
AROUND THE ISLES

The Flames have expressed minor interest in Cairns, who has struggled on this trip, while the Blackhawks have made no secret of their intent to deal for Parrish.

Several well-placed sources have told The Post, however, that there really is nothing on the table right now as far as the Isles are concerned, partly because of the uncertainty surrounding the expiration of the CBA next year.

:teach: I think it is safe to say, that after careful evaluation of all the rumors in the past few weeks, that Cairns and Parrish are on the block. :p

I'd like to see Cairns in Vancouver, personally, we need a bona fide enforcer. But the Flames, who seem to have a newfound dedication to toughness, would be a logical place for him to go.

~Canucklehead~

Pinto 11-22-2003 11:38 AM

What was the point of Calgary trading Boughner if they want Cairns?

Trottier 11-22-2003 11:38 AM

Gee wonder if it's any coincidence that two NYI players (Parrish, Cairns)who are seeing their name in trade rumors every day are playing like their minds are elsewhere.

Great environment around that team. GM fanning trade flames, having to be told by the coach to shut up. And on the other hand, the team sending the ongoing signal that they are paralyzed and can't add dalary, dump salary, do anything...because of the big bad CBA that looms. What a wonderful, built-in excuse. (And sadly, some fans buy it.)

Maybe every NHL team will fret about a work stoppage that may never occur, and no one will try to win the Cup this year!

andora 11-22-2003 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto80
What was the point of Calgary trading Boughner if they want Cairns?

my guess would be about a million dollars roughly

Tiki 11-22-2003 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Gee wonder if it's any coincidence that two NYI players (Parrish, Cairns)who are seeing their name in trade rumors every day are playing like their minds are elsewhere.

Great environment around that team. GM fanning trade flames, having to be told by the coach to shut up. And on the other hand, the team sending the ongoing signal that they are paralyzed and can't add dalary, dump salary, do anything...because of the big bad CBA that looms. What a wonderful, built-in excuse. (And sadly, some fans buy it.)

Maybe every NHL team will fret about a work stoppage that may never occur, and no one will try to win the Cup this year!

Gotta give credit to Sterling for telling his Teflon GM to keep the Trade talks behind closed doors. So much for the Rookie coach being a Milbury "yes" man.

I agree that the Salary dumping could not have come at a worse time. Basicly showing that this team has no long term plan, only short trem reactions to to on ice problems with little thought on what may lie around the corner both financially and talent wise.

Teemu 11-22-2003 12:49 PM

Im still trying to figure out what good parrish will do for us, compared to others we could have...

CREW99AW 11-22-2003 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu08
Im still trying to figure out what good parrish will do for us, compared to others we could have...


other then Comrie and Guerin,what scorer is available that the Hawks could have?

Comrie's a scorer,but adds no grit.

Guerin has both scoring and grit,but makes what $8m a yr?

Parrish is a gritty scorer,but streaky.

who else is being shopped?

Sec of Partying Down 11-22-2003 02:06 PM

Cairns in Calgary makes no sense...

The Flames need scoring not another defensive defensemen.

Darth Milbury 11-22-2003 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Cairns in Calgary makes no sense...

The Flames need scoring not another defensive defensemen.


Well, I think the Flames would show an interest in Cairns because he provides depth and would cost nothing to acquire. I would be surprised if he returned more than a 5th or 6th rounder. heck, I'd be surprised if he returned that much.

As for Parrish to ChiHawks, I agree with Teemu08 that is is not sensible. I also still think that Chicago will stay the course. Like Buffalo, Florida, Nashville, and a few other teams, Chicago is carefully building up a stable of excellent young prospects.

SabresRule 11-22-2003 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead17
:teach: I think it is safe to say, that after careful evaluation of all the rumors in the past few weeks, that Cairns and Parrish are on the block. :p

I'd like to see Cairns in Vancouver, personally, we need a bona fide enforcer. But the Flames, who seem to have a newfound dedication to toughness, would be a logical place for him to go.

~Canucklehead~

enforcer, want boulton? i really want us to get rid of him, he wants action every game, we are gonna rotate him. and im sure our sabres fans want May, tho i dont see why.

what is the deal with may, why do the sabres fans love him so much?

Sec of Partying Down 11-22-2003 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Well, I think the Flames would show an interest in Cairns because he provides depth and would cost nothing to acquire. I would be surprised if he returned more than a 5th or 6th rounder. heck, I'd be surprised if he returned that much.

As for Parrish to ChiHawks, I agree with Teemu08 that is is not sensible. I also still think that Chicago will stay the course. Like Buffalo, Florida, Nashville, and a few other teams, Chicago is carefully building up a stable of excellent young prospects.

The Flames have depth...

Regehr
Leopold
Warrener
Gauthier
Commodore
Lydman
Ference
Wallin
Montador

Buzek is even making a recovery, Cairns has no place on the Flames...

Darth Milbury 11-22-2003 07:14 PM

Ok. I concede the point. I just don't what the rumors about Calgary being interested in him are all about.

Then again, there were rumors that Calgary wanted Wiemer, and they showed no interest when he was available. This could very well be hot air.

feff 11-23-2003 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Ok. I concede the point. I just don't what the rumors about Calgary being interested in him are all about.

Then again, there were rumors that Calgary wanted Wiemer, and they showed no interest when he was available. This could very well be hot air.

Larry Brooks has a weird history of bandying about Flames names in rumours that never come true. And he was also the guy who said the Rags should sign iggy to a $15 million dollar contract to pry him away from Calgary, so I think he has something against us - the NY Post is probably the only "paper" (term used loosely) in the States where Calgary is bandied about as often as they are. If you mention "Calgary" in any other newspaper in any city in the across most of the US, the name elicits a thousand yard stare. We don't get airplay.

I can see trade winds swirling around, but I'm not sure Calgary's involved. Both teams have stacks of D and Calgary is looking for a gritty F. My gut says if there is any truth to them, it would be Calgary trying to find out if a guy like Scatchard is available, and if we had the ponies to get him out of NYI. But like I said, too much D on both team, so it may have to be a three-way if it is true.
Anyone else have a take?

CREW99AW 11-23-2003 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feff
Larry Brooks has a weird history of bandying about Flames names in rumours that never come true. And he was also the guy who said the Rags should sign iggy to a $15 million dollar contract to pry him away from Calgary, so I think he has something against us - the NY Post is probably the only "paper" (term used loosely) in the States where Calgary is bandied about as often as they are. If you mention "Calgary" in any other newspaper in any city in the across most of the US, the name elicits a thousand yard stare. We don't get airplay.

I can see trade winds swirling around, but I'm not sure Calgary's involved. Both teams have stacks of D and Calgary is looking for a gritty F. My gut says if there is any truth to them, it would be Calgary trying to find out if a guy like Scatchard is available, and if we had the ponies to get him out of NYI. But like I said, too much D on both team, so it may have to be a three-way if it is true.
Anyone else have a take?

This article is Grossman's,not Brooks.
My guess is the Flames were more interested in Cairn's the enforcer,then Cairns the defenseman.

His salary's cheap($900,000) and he probably could be had for a mid round pick.The article says the Flames interest is mild.

CREW99AW 11-23-2003 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Ok. I concede the point. I just don't what the rumors about Calgary being interested in him are all about.

Then again, there were rumors that Calgary wanted Wiemer, and they showed no interest when he was available. This could very well be hot air.


Maybe the isles didn't want any salary back in the Weimer situation,asking for a pick or prospect.


There were rumors the Stars were interested in Weimer.If the nyi had been willing to take on Malholtra's $1m salary,wouldn't a Weimer for Malholtra deal have made more sense then both teams losing their forwards on waivers,getting nothing in return?

herecomesdabus 11-23-2003 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW
other then Comrie and Guerin,what scorer is available that the Hawks could have?

Comrie's a scorer,but adds no grit.

Guerin has both scoring and grit,but makes what $8m a yr?

Parrish is a gritty scorer,but streaky.

who else is being shopped?

I think Peca might be shopped. He's been getting increased icetime like he's getting showcased.

I think guys like Peca/Parrish/Cairns/Niinimaa/Martinek/Timander

can all be had.

MM crying he has to trim payroll. I think he's more concerned with trimming the logjam on the roster.

MM has the right approach by saying he has to trim payroll. What is he suppose to say?

I want to trade some of my expensive trash! :joker:

John Druce 11-23-2003 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Cairns in Calgary makes no sense...

The Flames need scoring not another defensive defensemen.

If the Flames trade for Cairns, they can insert him into on of the other drone d-men's place. In turn, they would be able to fetch a little more offensive value for a guy or a combo of guys like Gauthier, Commodore, Regehr.

What the Flames need is any D-man who can give a proper outlet pass.

CREW99AW 11-23-2003 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
I think Peca might be shopped. He's been getting increased icetime like he's getting showcased.

I think guys like Peca/Parrish/Cairns/Niinimaa/Martinek/Timander

can all be had.

MM crying he has to trim payroll. I think he's more concerned with trimming the logjam on the roster.

MM has the right approach by saying he has to trim payroll. What is he suppose to say?

I want to trade some of my expensive trash! :joker:


what he's supposed to do is put a playoff contender on the ice,keeping this yr's attendance up for Wang's Nets bid,while trying to set the team up for post-2004 salary cap.

Aucoin+Hamrlik are 2-3 yrs older then Niinimma,closer to walking away as ufas,which is why i think one of them would be dealt before Niinimaa..

Isles have already admitted shopping Peca/Parrish/Cairns/Timander at one point or another during the last 6 months.trading Peca is a gamble at a time when Wang's trying to sell himself to the NBA as the best possible owner of the NJ Nets.Wang's smart enough to see the parrallels between Milsteins/Redskins and Wang/Nets.

Martinek makes about $800,000 and with Aucoin and Hamrlik rfas this summer,looking for raises,I don't see the Isles trading the cheap Martinek.

Seedy 11-24-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiki
Gotta give credit to Sterling for telling his Teflon GM to keep the Trade talks behind closed doors. So much for the Rookie coach being a Milbury "yes" man.

I agree that the Salary dumping could not have come at a worse time. Basicly showing that this team has no long term plan, only short trem reactions to to on ice problems with little thought on what may lie around the corner both financially and talent wise.

Their slump , in my opinion, began when Scatchard went down with his shoulder injury not dumping Weimer. Why pay $2 mil. for a 3rd or 4th line player. The leak was not Milbury by the way, he simply informed Weimer behind closed doors of his future. Weimer himself or his agent created the media frenzy.

CREW99AW 11-24-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seedy
Their slump , in my opinion, began when Scatchard went down with his shoulder injury not dumping Weimer. Why pay $2 mil. for a 3rd or 4th line player. The leak was not Milbury by the way, he simply informed Weimer behind closed doors of his future. Weimer himself or his agent created the media frenzy.


then Milbury was foolish for letting Weimer know what was happening.

If MM found he couldn't deal Weimer and had to put him on waivers,that was the time to talk to Weimer and his agent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.