HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Caps Grand Design and Veteran Auction (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30306)

JeanValjean 11-22-2003 05:05 PM

Caps Grand Design and Veteran Auction

Kinda bored...so let's talk hockey. Yeah, yeah, is what they do at the MCI Center called playing hockey? VERY funny...

I have a theory. I think the Caps management/ownership made a decision to not improve the team at all over the summer. They tried to acquire a defenseman at the trade deadline (Niinimaa was a main target according to several newspapers) and when they couldn't get a deal done, and then watched the team get smacked around by Tampa in the playoffs, they decided that nothing could be done to improve the team dramatically before the CBA troubles came.

So I'm thinking the plan is to auction off every player on the roster over 27 years old or so. Witt, Gonchar, Lang, Kolzig, Bondra (not sure about him), Jagr obviously (which is a shame because if the Caps had a legit #1 center like Sundin, J Thornton, Modano, etc etc he'd be scoring 100+ easy). I expect as least 2 or 3 or these guys to be traded by the deadline.

Call it a weird vibe I guess but something just seems odd about the approach of Caps management. I don't think it's incompence. GMGM *has* to be aware that his defensive corps is weak as hell. It's been goin down the tubes consistently since 1998. Whether it's true, or whether it's a smart plan remains to be seen. I wondering what kind of return these players will get if they are dealt...

I expect the Kono deal to be the model. A young player with potential and a fill in roster player coming back.

I think the Kono deal is the model they're looking at.

It wouldn't make sense for any teams to take on the salaries unless they expect to go deep into the playoffs. So I'm thinking Det, Col, Dal, Van, Phi, Ott, Tor. I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

So let's start the auction with Gonchar. Who do you think would be available (using the Kono deal as a guideline) for Gonchar? I know some people don't think the Caps will deal a Dman. I think it's entirely possible because I truly don't think they are even thinking about winning for the next 2 years.

Bid on Gonchar:

Pinto 11-22-2003 05:10 PM

Antropov,Colaiacovo and a 2nd rounder next year
for Gonchar

Ice Cream Man 11-22-2003 05:27 PM

It'd be great to see a swap between Calgary and Washington with Bondra and Conroy as centerpieces of a deal. Calgary's got Rheinprecht, Lombardi, Yelle and Betts up the middle, and no room for Conroy. Calgary does need an experienced scoring winger, though.

Conroy would give Washington some nice depth up the center behind Lang.

Bondra is more expensive than Conroy, however (by $2 mill, I think?).....COuld Washington pay half of Bondra's salary?

Both are UFA's at the end of the season, so this would be a temporary solution.

Would also love to see Halpern or Zubrus make their way into this deal as well!

LaVal 11-22-2003 05:37 PM

i don't usually make proposals... so if this one is lame bare with me.

Sopel (to replace some of the offense Gonchar provides)
Allen (to give them that bruising defensemen they lost in Klee)
Cooke (to replace the 3rd line 2-way play of Konowalchuk)

for Gonchar and a prospect

now before people get mad at me for the usual fodder offered in a Canucks trade, listen to my resoning.

the Caps are in need of defensemen. in this deal they aquire 2 top-4 defensemen for 1 better one, gain one of the best 3rd liners in the league and replace what was lost in Konowalchuk. in the process they shed a couple million and gain all young players.

Vancouver would then have the best offensive blueline in the NHL

Gonchar
Jovanovski
Ohlund
Salo
Malik
Slegr

SabresRule 11-22-2003 05:47 PM

just when every other SE division team is coming of age, the caps are rebuilding lol.

BruinFan42 11-22-2003 06:24 PM

Hal Gill, Ivan Huml and a 2nd round pick for Gonchar

Pinto 11-22-2003 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Hal Gill, Ivan Huml and a 2nd round pick for Gonchar

have to do better than that after what i offered ;)

BruinFan42 11-22-2003 06:29 PM

PINTO:

Seems rather even to me, with Gill, Jagr will never have to worry about him again! Huml is projected to be a top 6 foreward who could even play in the NHL right now, and a 2nd round pick will get you a good player either in the draft (Patrice Bergeron) or trade for something you need (Dan McGillis)....

But, seeing as its a ficitional auction, I throw in some more :p :

Hal Gill, Rob Zamuner, Ivan Huml and a 2nd.....

Pinto 11-22-2003 06:35 PM

Quote:

PINTO:

Seems rather even to me, with Gill, Jagr will never have to worry about him again! Huml is projected to be a top 6 foreward who could even play in the NHL right now, and a 2nd round pick will get you a good player either in the draft (Patrice Bergeron) or trade for something you need (Dan McGillis)....

But, seeing as its a ficitional auction, I throw in some more :p :

Hal Gill, Rob Zamuner, Ivan Huml and a 2nd.....

Yes but coco has the potential to be a #1 or #2 while Antropov is already a top 6 forward plus a second rounder

BruinFan42 11-22-2003 06:38 PM

I guess it's up to JeanVJean to decide on what to take what's on the table....

Pinto 11-22-2003 06:39 PM

Quote:

I guess it's up to JeanVJean to decide on what to take what's on the table....

i guess :p , i'll also toss in a late round pick

JeanValjean 11-22-2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto80
for Gonchar

Not bad. Not bad at all. I think this is the kind of deal the Caps would be looking for. I like Antropov personally though I'm not up on his health status. And then it'd be up to the Caps' amateur scouts to chime in on Cola. I'd think they'd expect at least a future #2 D man out of Cola to consider the trade. Turn that 2nd rounder into a 1st rounder and you just might be on to something Pinto!

Can anybody beat this deal?

In reality, I expect it would be a 2 for Gonchar or 1 for Gonchar deal. Then again, sometimes they throw extra picks and players in to muddy the waters and confuse everybody.

BruinFan42 11-22-2003 08:04 PM

Your thoughts on my proposal??

Gill, Zamuner, Huml and a 2nd for Gonchar....

BladesofSteel21 11-22-2003 08:35 PM

Caps get - Kim Johnsson and Dennis Seidenberg

Flyer get - Sergei Gonchar, 3rd rd pk

Pinto 11-22-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer
Caps get - Kim Johnsson and Dennis Seidenberg

Flyer get - Sergei Gonchar, 3rd rd pk

bah, mine and bruinsfan42 is better :p

CapitalsCupFantasy 11-22-2003 09:25 PM

Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto80
for Gonchar

Where does Teddy Logon sign?

JeanValjean 11-22-2003 10:26 PM

Quote:

Your thoughts on my proposal??

Gill, Zamuner, Huml and a 2nd for Gonchar....

This isn't the kind of deal I'd expect to see GMGM make. He tends to focus on a fairly high end end prospect (Oullette, Johansson, even Petr Sykora) and then it'd take something else significant to get you Gonchar.

I don't know anything about Huml. Heard of him but don't know how he plays. It's hard to assess the value when so many players are involved BruFan.

JeanValjean 11-22-2003 10:30 PM

I like Pinto's Toronto deal the best so far.

Come on, get your Gonchars! Gonchars here! This guys on the edge of a Norris Trophy. Great PP guy. Adequate defensively. And he's hasn't played with a decent D partner for years. Step right up!

H-Bear 11-23-2003 06:59 AM

I'll give 'er a shot ... albeit, not one I thought much about ...

To EDM:
Gonchar, Ouellette

To WAS:
Smith, Comrie, 2nd

IkeaMonkey* 11-23-2003 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie

To EDM:
Gonchar, Ouellette

To WAS:
Smith, Comrie, 2nd

Our best Dman and Goaltending prospect, for your 3rd best Dman, a holdout and a pick I can get in Pinto's deal? AHAAHAHHHAHAHAHHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHA

Ill take Laval's and Pinto's deal anyday.

H-Bear 11-23-2003 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Our best Dman and Goaltending prospect, for your 3rd best Dman, a holdout and a pick I can get in Pinto's deal? AHAAHAHHHAHAHAHHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHA

Ill take Laval's and Pinto's deal anyday.

Sorry, kinda got greedy trying for Ouellette.

What if I threw in Clearcoff? ;)

I_r_1337 11-23-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrie

To EDM:
Gonchar, Ouellette

To WAS:
Smith, Comrie, 2nd

*BRRRERRRNNNNTTTT*Failed horribly

Try dropping Max, Dropping Comrie and adding a 1st..

Ruckus007 11-23-2003 03:09 PM

Does it have to be for Gonchar? :dunno:

Brian Campbell or Henrik Tallinder
Jiri Novotny

for

Brendan Witt

txpd 11-23-2003 03:17 PM

The Capitals have Gonchar and Witt as NHL caliber defensemen. One is a Norris candidate. Witt is a #2-3 depending on the team. After that the Caps have a highly thought of rookie, Eminger, who is way over his head so far. They have two prospects at the AHL level. Cutta, who is slow in developing, and Yonkman who is out for the season again with an injury. If the Caps hope to field an NHL caliber defensive squad, they just can't part with one of the two NHL quality guys that they have now.
If all the young guys pan out, they have Gonchar, Witt, Eminger, Yonkman and Cutta. that's not even 6 guys. If Yonkman and Cutta both fail to make it, they have just 3 guys on defense. They just won't trade Gonchar or Witt unless they have a gun to their head.

Sabot55 11-23-2003 03:24 PM

Dimitri Kalinin, Jiri Novotny, and a 3rd round pick from Buffalo