HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Craig Conroy for on 2nd line ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=303416)

Artyukhin* 10-22-2006 01:38 PM

Craig Conroy for our 2nd line ?

Rumour is Los Angles is shopping him .
2nd line center we could desperatly use .
$2.394 million . He is Cabro type player
I'd definailty love Conroy on this team

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303407

TroyM 10-22-2006 01:42 PM

Can't say I'd mind having a guy like Conroy if the price is right! It would take another opportunity from a youngster who might be ready but damn, in my opinion Conroy is welcome on the Habs any day! Definitely wouldn't give up much for him though.

mcphee 10-22-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 6845777)

I'd love to have Conroy. he should've never left. I think he's a natural for our 2nd line. I think though, Doug, that we should ban phrases like 'Carbo, or Gainey type player. All the coaches in the league appreciate hard working 2 way players. Let's ban that one and maybe, 'since we all know that Sheldon wants to play in California'.

Whitesnake 10-22-2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 6845777)

Yes I would. What about the cap? And it seems they want prospects or youth. Anyone of you ready to get rid of Perez or Pleks for him? Or is the prospects asked are more in the line of 2005-2006 picks????

Pascal 10-22-2006 01:46 PM

that would mean bonk on the 4th line again. I don't know if i'd want him there given how well he has played on the 3rd.

Give Pleks his chance.

Artyukhin* 10-22-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6845856)
I'd love to have Conroy. he should've never left. I think he's a natural for our 2nd line. I think though, Doug, that we should ban phrases like 'Carbo, or Gainey type player. All the coaches in the league appreciate hard working 2 way players. Let's ban that one and maybe, 'since we all know that Sheldon wants to play in California'.

sorry mcphee it wont happen again :)

les Habs 10-22-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 6845878)
Give Pleks his chance.

Agreed. It's too early to give up on him and that line just yet.

JMMR 10-22-2006 01:51 PM

Wont happen. No way Conroy is delt to the habs.

Mike8 10-22-2006 01:51 PM

I'd definitely take Conroy. He'd be ideal.

Question is, what would you have the Habs give up for him?

Ross MacLochness 10-22-2006 01:52 PM

Conroy? Do it!

Send Lats to Jr. Bonk with Begin, Murray. Pleks with Perez and Johnson. There's a hockey team.

les Habs 10-22-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim (Post 6845956)
Conroy? Do it!

Send Lats to Jr. Bonk with Begin, Murray. Pleks with Perez and Johnson. There's a hockey team.

Never thought about Lats to Junior. IMO that needs to happen. His appetite has been wet, now let's not rush him.

mcphee 10-22-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 6845895)
sorry mcphee it wont happen again :)

no offense, we all do it. We should start a list of clicheed statements and the worst offenders have to donate $ to charity. Add in how players become 'dominant' after every good game.

Goalie3636 10-22-2006 01:56 PM

I'd rather see us go after Yanic Perrault in free agency first,, before we have to give something up for Conroy. Perrault is a beast in the face-off circle and is a great set-up man for Kovalev.

Ross MacLochness 10-22-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie3636 (Post 6846023)
I'd rather see us go after Yanic Perrault in free agency first,, before we have to give something up for Conroy. Perrault is a beast in the face-off circle and is a great set-up man for Kovalev.

Are you kidding me?

Munchausen 10-22-2006 02:01 PM

Always been a fan of Conroy. Would look very good at center for the Habs. That being said, who do you give who both doesn't create a hole bigger than the one we're trying to fill and has enough value to interest LA? Furthermore, Conroy is getting up there as far as critical NHL age is concerned. Somehow my guess is Plekanec would need to be the player going back the other way along with a prospect and I wouldn't do that for a 1-year rental.

mcphee 10-22-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen (Post 6846097)
Always been a fan of Conroy. Would look very good at center for the Habs. That being said, who do you give who both doesn't create a hole bigger than the one we're trying to fill and has enough value to interest LA? Furthermore, Conroy is getting up there as far as critical NHL age is concerned. Somehow my guess is Plekanec would need to be the player going back the other way along with a prospect and I wouldn't do that for a 1-year rental.

I'd hate to see a guy like Perez, or Pleks be moved. I've come to appreciate them both and hope their numbers refect their efforts soon. When your team takes on a mindset of agressively forechecking, creating turnovers, you hate to move the speed that gives you that style. Both players may end up being stat disappointments, but it may not matter.

saskhab 10-22-2006 02:08 PM

We don't have the cap space. I'd say it's worth a look if we can get all our D healthy again, and therefore move one of them (not neccesarily to LA, but somewhere else perhaps), but right now we're in too much of a bind unless Dandenault has to be put on long-term IR which doesn't appear to be the case.

Any team would love to have Craig Conroy on it. But it doesn't appear realistic at this point, as we can't trade any of our D right now. I guess we could try and deal Bonk to get the cap space (both C's, both play similar roles except Conroy would provide more O), but obviously not in exchange for each other.

x-bob 10-22-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskhab (Post 6846164)
We don't have the cap space. I'd say it's worth a look if we can get all our D healthy again, and therefore move one of them (not neccesarily to LA, but somewhere else perhaps), but right now we're in too much of a bind unless Dandenault has to be put on long-term IR which doesn't appear to be the case.

Any team would love to have Craig Conroy on it. But it doesn't appear realistic at this point, as we can't trade any of our D right now. I guess we could try and deal Bonk to get the cap space (both C's, both play similar roles except Conroy would provide more O), but obviously not in exchange for each other.

It's true that we don't have the cap space. We need to look inside our organisation for the solution to our second line. Pleks might still be that solution!

Munchausen 10-22-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 6846149)
I'd hate to see a guy like Perez, or Pleks be moved. I've come to appreciate them both and hope their numbers refect their efforts soon. When your team takes on a mindset of agressively forechecking, creating turnovers, you hate to move the speed that gives you that style. Both players may end up being stat disappointments, but it may not matter.

I agree, especially regarding Plekanec. But both players are pretty good fit for this team and its system regardless of immediate production. Not that Conroy wouldn't be mind you, but what do you do next year when Conroy is just one more UFA to fit under a 44M cap? I think we don't have the ressources to absorb such a deal long term.

A kings fan has suggested Kostitsyn on the rumor board and I could see that working better.

Mike8 10-22-2006 02:30 PM

Perezhogin's quickly becoming a favourite of mine, not to derail this topic.

I hope he gets some better quality ice time with some offensive-minded players, though.

mcphee 10-22-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8 (Post 6846523)
Perezhogin's quickly becoming a favourite of mine, not to derail this topic.

I hope he gets some better quality ice time with some offensive-minded players, though.

It would be nice to know what he'd do long term with Kovalev, I guess, but watching him right now, you wonder if he is just going to be a different style player than we envisionned. I've always brought up Brylin or even Rejean Houle as guys who were key contributors but not stat guys. Maybe Perez will be that type. I've wondered that about Plekanec too.

Bill McNeal 10-22-2006 02:37 PM

I don't really see how it would be feasible, but it would certainly take care of our 'smiling after goals' dilemma.

Mike8 10-22-2006 02:40 PM

Yeah, I like your comparison for Plekanec (Brylin), though I think Plekanec's got a little more offensive flair and strength to his game, but he's a guy you can see playing in all sorts of situations in different positions.

Perezhogin's got a pretty nice release on his wrister. He isn't afraid of going to the net and sets shop in the high slot while his linemates are cycling. Sometimes you see him about to put it all together to make a terrific shift.

I think Plekanec's out of his comfort zone right now while Perezhogin's not being challenged enough to bring it offensively. But who knows, if Ribeiro was still around I might be saying the same thing about Plekanec not being challenged enough offensively..

Blind Gardien 10-22-2006 02:44 PM

Conroy isn't really an option, IMO. You could have talked about dealing Ribeiro for him once upon a time, maybe. But instead we felt that our depth on D was a bigger issue than the 2nd line C issue, and we took on Niinimaa's contract instead. So now there just isn't room for Conroy. And maybe that's not such a bad thing... 35, 1 assist, and the kicker, the absolute killer: another year at $2.4M left after this year. Just looking at the thread about our UFA situation next summer, well, having Conroy's deal stuck on the books would just be more headaches. He was a good player, and I'd suggest he could still be a useful player... sort of like Bonk is for us right now... but we've already got Bonk. No need to clone him, and particularly not when we have no cap solution for the move to begin with. Non-starter, IMO.

GSK* 10-22-2006 02:48 PM

Conroy is a good 2-way.

But Kovalev got now 3-3-6, Samsonov 2-24...Its just time to Plekanec to wake up, he got 2 assists, ok right but what about Conroy?

0-1-1 in 8 games...

So give Plekanec a chance.

Thank You!

He's not bad at all... he got offensive upside for sure. Bash me if you want, but I'm still thinking that Plekanec can get 45-50 points this season and that without a lot of PP time.

And for Perezhogin, no doubt he'll end up with better number then last year, he palayed so far better then just 2 points, he got 2 or 3 posts I think and misses a great oppotunities last game. Perezhogin will be in the top-6 next year for sure and got some PP time this year. He can be a 30 goals scorer and 60-70 for sure.

Plekanec is 23, turn 24 in October 31th.

Perezhogin is 23 for all season.

Don't trade young players who's playing well like that. Last year Plekanec finish the year with 29 and 19 for Perez in both 67 games. They'll inscrease by 20 points each for sure.