HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Huet should be #1 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30366)

KingPurpleDinosaur 11-23-2003 12:16 AM

Huet should be #1
 
am i the only one who thinks Huet should be the #1 for our team? cech blows, i mean he's not HORRIBLE where i wish we didn't trade him, but fact is, Huet is a pimp and he should be out playing 50:50 games at the minimum. what more does he have to do to prove it? shut out both dallas AND colorado?

also, had cech played, i would bet that it woulda been a loss or a tie game at the least. huet had a lota solid saves that cech would never had gotten

David A. Rainer 11-23-2003 12:29 AM

I was thinking the same thing during Huet's last shutout and again tonight. But then I reconsidered.

I would like to see Huet play more, that much is certain. But I would hold off on making him the #1 though. If everyone remembers, Jamie Storr used to do this - was nails as a back-up but inconsistent as all hell when given the chance to be #1.

If AM is going to start Cechmanek this many times, I'm beginning to question the judgment of keeping Huet on the NHL roster. It would do a lot more both for his development and the organization's confidence in him long term if Huet was starting on a nightly basis in Manchester. Maybe a swap of Hlinika(sp?) for Huet is in order since Cechmanek is getting 80% of the starts anyway.

jfont 11-23-2003 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
If AM is going to start Cechmanek this many times, I'm beginning to question the judgment of keeping Huet on the NHL roster. It would do a lot more both for his development and the organization's confidence in him long term if Huet was starting on a nightly basis in Manchester. Maybe a swap of Hlinika(sp?) for Huet is in order since Cechmanek is getting 80% of the starts anyway.

thats going to send the wrong message and might mess up huet's development and confidence instead. think about it, after getting 2 shutouts, you'll send him down for 'more work'...don't think that would work imo. if he's doing well, he should get more starts with the kings rather than manchester.

agentfouser 11-23-2003 12:45 AM

i really would not worry about huet getting a shot at being number one. sooner or later, he'll get a shot. cechmanek will get hurt, or will really stink things up for a few games ina row, and huet will get five to ten starts consecutively.

mark my words, huet will, at some point, get a shot. he's not going anywhere.

KingPurpleDinosaur 11-23-2003 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
I would like to see Huet play more, that much is certain. But I would hold off on making him the #1 though. If everyone remembers, Jamie Storr used to do this - was nails as a back-up but inconsistent as all hell when given the chance to be #1.


storr is far different from huet. last year when huet came in after potvin was hurt, inconsistency was hardly the word that came to mind after watching huet. this guy has a solid head, good positioning, and quickness. he seems to thrive in pressure and has impressed me nearly every game i've seen him.

knowin AM, he's probably not going to play again for another 10 games, so this sucks for our team as huet right now is the better goalie. cech has shown very little to me in terms of being able to step up to the big games.

Sum 11-23-2003 04:57 AM

If I stay objective and if I conceal my patrotic feeling, I don't know if Huet really has the potential and the abilities to be number one, I mean, a whole season (including playoffs). Of course, I'd like to see him play more, but I think it's too early to make him the number one, even if I'd love I repeat. He played twelve games last season, this year he had three starts... Murray should give him more work, but Cech is a good goalie, and for the moment he stayed solid, not "horrible"... After this second shutout, Huet will have more time of ice, and it will be normal, but don't go faster. Step by step.

Quote:

sooner or later, he'll get a shot. cechmanek will get hurt, or will really stink things up for a few games ina row, and huet will get five to ten starts consecutively. mark my words, huet will, at some point, get a shot. he's not going anywhere.
I agree. He'll have his shot, and it will be the moment to show he can do the job. By then he has to learn and work more and more if he wants to stay competitive at this moment. And he knows that, Huet has this mentality. That's my opinion about the question. :)

punchy1 11-23-2003 06:30 AM

When I went to bed last night I *knew* in my heart that this thread would be here this morning.

It's a great question but not what will or should happen. We went out and landed Roman and he is our number one. Unless he truly struggles there is no reason he shouldn't be. To move him out of that spot would pretty much tell him no thanks mate on the rest of the season. Sure he would sit on the bench and play when he was told to but, with a fellow like him you have to bet that we wouldn't see his best again in a Kings uniform.

Do I think Huet should be our number 1? I do, but I thought we should have started the season with him in net. That is until we got Roman. Like it or not, he is our number one. What a great situation to be in for a change though eh? We have two goalies that are at worst capable of being true number ones instead of one that might be a legitimate one.

Kings Fanatic 11-23-2003 09:34 AM

Huet is a backup. He hasn't proved himself capable of anything more. Yes, he has looked good when given the chance but he is not yet #1 material. Cech has played ok. Didn't the Philly fans warn us that he is a slow starter? He has played well enough that I'm excited about the time of the season when he gets hot.

Scottkmlps 11-23-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
am i the only one who thinks Huet should be the #1 for our team? cech blows, i mean he's not HORRIBLE where i wish we didn't trade him, but fact is, Huet is a pimp and he should be out playing 50:50 games at the minimum. what more does he have to do to prove it? shut out both dallas AND colorado?

also, had cech played, i would bet that it woulda been a loss or a tie game at the least. huet had a lota solid saves that cech would never had gotten

Yeah, because a goalie with a 2.18 GAA, 3 SO's, and a .914SV% just blows.

KingPurpleDinosaur 11-23-2003 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
Huet is a backup. He hasn't proved himself capable of anything more. Yes, he has looked good when given the chance but he is not yet #1 material. Cech has played ok. Didn't the Philly fans warn us that he is a slow starter? He has played well enough that I'm excited about the time of the season when he gets hot.

ok, so he's looked good when he has had the chance (meaning he's shown he could do the job everytime he's out there). BUT u say he's not #1 material and that he isn't proven yet?

this is what i hate about you people who keep using the "proven" argument. your argument makes no legitimate sense since ur only argument against him is on something he has yet to have been the chance to do. so don't give me the "unproven" argument, that's weak to say the least.

he played 12 games last year towards the end of the year and never faultered. inconsistency was the least of his problems. only thing i have against him is size, but he makes up for that with quickness. he's solid positionally and was one of the reasons we beat colorado. can you honestly say we would have beat the avs w/ cech? cuase i sure wouldn't believe it.

he's done everything he can with what was given to him. whether he was martin brodeur or patrick roy, if you don't give him time, he will never be "proven".

punchy1 11-23-2003 04:44 PM

The thing is you are basing your arguement on opinion and where that is concerned it is no more valid (or less) than any of our own. Give Huet the 15 or so starts that he will get this year before the playoffs (hoping) and IF he is on the streak that he can be then we might see a reason to put him there.

The thing about us going with a "proven" player is that he is a known comodity and while he may not be the best goalie of all time, we know he will give us a solid performance more times than not. Huet, has had two games this year that he has shown how truly talented he can be and one where he looked quite average. Give him another dozen starts and if he plays the way he did last night and in his other shut out then, he will be, a more *proven* player and that is why the definition is out there.

We all like him and think that *if* he was our starting goalie that he would probably be a corker. Since he isn't, we have to go with Roman until he *proves* (not smarmy mind you, just using the word) he is the lesser of the two.

MOOSE55 11-23-2003 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
am i the only one who thinks Huet should be the #1 for our team? cech blows, i mean he's not HORRIBLE where i wish we didn't trade him, but fact is, Huet is a pimp and he should be out playing 50:50 games at the minimum. what more does he have to do to prove it? shut out both dallas AND colorado?

also, had cech played, i would bet that it woulda been a loss or a tie game at the least. huet had a lota solid saves that cech would never had gotten

I think Huet should get more starts, he should be a lock for playing 1 of 2 back-back games. Cechmanek is typically a slow starter. If Huet continues to play well and Cechmanek is still struggling after the new year, then I'd agree that Huet should be the starter

HellsBells 11-24-2003 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
am i the only one who thinks Huet should be the #1 for our team? cech blows, i mean he's not HORRIBLE where i wish we didn't trade him, but fact is, Huet is a pimp and he should be out playing 50:50 games at the minimum. what more does he have to do to prove it? shut out both dallas AND colorado?

also, had cech played, i would bet that it woulda been a loss or a tie game at the least. huet had a lota solid saves that cech would never had gotten

Cechmanek is a SOLID # 1 goalie. Huet is nowhere near that right now, IMO. And correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Huet's first SO vs. Pittsburgh (11 saves). That is a big difference. He shutout a horrible Pens team and an Avs team that just did not come to play. I am no Huet hater but he needs to prove more than 2 SO against crappy teams or a team that was not playing anywhere near their potential.

Cechmanek has proven to be a legitimate Top 5-6 Reg. Season goalie in the past few years so any move like you suggest would likely cost Murray his job and the Kings a playoff spot.

B-MEL 11-24-2003 03:49 PM

I too am REALLY sick of the Roman bashing!!!

Look The guy is a good goalie PERIOD!

His # of Wins is 8. Only Broduer (11), Nurminen (11), Aebischer (11) and Osgood (10) have more. So he is tied for 5th.

His GAA (2.18) is ranked 16th in the league, with 4 of the goalies ahead of him are back ups that have played in less than 8 games compared to his 16.

Yes is Save % is 23rd, but a respectable .914.

Now tell me, do you really care about Roman's individual stats or the W's that he AND the Kings get?

Its, the W's that get you 2 points, not the GAA or Save %.

get over it, Please!!

agentfouser 11-24-2003 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin Man
I too am REALLY sick of the Roman bashing!!!

Look The guy is a good goalie PERIOD!

His # of Wins is 8. Only Broduer (11), Nurminen (11), Aebischer (11) and Osgood (10) have more. So he is tied for 5th.

His GAA (2.18) is ranked 16th in the league, with 4 of the goalies ahead of him are back ups that have played in less than 8 games compared to his 16.

Yes is Save % is 23rd, but a respectable .914.

Now tell me, do you really care about Roman's individual stats or the W's that he AND the Kings get?

Its, the W's that get you 2 points, not the GAA or Save %.

get over it, Please!!

also keep in mind that with the kings' low number of shots against per game, his save percentage will probably never be stellar here.

KingPurpleDinosaur 11-25-2003 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield
Cechmanek is a SOLID # 1 goalie. Huet is nowhere near that right now, IMO. And correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Huet's first SO vs. Pittsburgh (11 saves). That is a big difference. He shutout a horrible Pens team and an Avs team that just did not come to play. I am no Huet hater but he needs to prove more than 2 SO against crappy teams or a team that was not playing anywhere near their potential.


he needs to prove more then 2 SO in the only 3 starts he's given this year?


....ok



Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield
echmanek has proven to be a legitimate Top 5-6 Reg. Season goalie in the past few years so any move like you suggest would likely cost Murray his job and the Kings a playoff spot.

why would it cost murray's job to play the best goalie first? and what has Huet ever done this year or last to make you think he is a threat to the team or liability?

ok, ill level with eveyrone here. huet should not be a #1 YET just cause he's new (if that's what everyone wants to hear me say). BUT nobody has yet to respond to my question, what has huet ever done to make you think he WASN'T capable of taking the #1 spot? if your argument is that he isn't proven, then my argument is he isn't proven NOT to.

so again, WHERE HAS HUET EVER BEEN A LIABILITY TO THE TEAM OR EVER SHOWN HE WASN'T CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE NUMBER ONE SPOT?

HellsBells 11-26-2003 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
WHERE HAS HUET EVER BEEN A LIABILITY TO THE TEAM OR EVER SHOWN HE WASN'T CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE NUMBER ONE SPOT?

Last night vs. Devils..... he looked like crap from where I was sitting (right in front of the TV). Cechmanek is the better goalie, no doubt about it.

And as far as the #1 goes, a goalie has to prove he is a #1, not prove that he isn't. Huet hasn't proven that he isn't but he sure hasn't proven that he is. So you go with the proven # 1 which is Cechmanek.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.