HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gagne! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30423)

Bennevol10 11-23-2003 08:38 AM

Gagne!

Since last year I been hearing about trading Gagne for this or that and so on... It's kind of funny whenever Gagne get hurt these trade proposals pop up in this board. Now Gagne playing well I don't hear about those trades anymore. I think all the Gagne haters hiding until he get hurts... :dunno:

blah 11-23-2003 09:29 AM

Eagles fans were calling for AJ Feeley earlier in the year too. Some people turn sour on players way too fast.

panayiotis 11-23-2003 09:40 AM

of course

Lack of hockey knowledge in the philly area. Gags is terrific.

panayiotis 11-23-2003 09:44 AM

the pens are so bad!

The might end up with Ovechkin in 04 and Crosby in 05. To go along with Fluery. The league should go nba and not let any team pick number 2 years in row. Teams should not rewarded for being pathetic.

Dr Love 11-23-2003 10:06 AM

Ah, of course, he is playing well now so obviously it's that he's finally come out of his shell, and not that he might be on a hot streak. No one here is doubting Gagne's skill, they're just annoyed that he is a frail player, and they have every right to think that. You can not deny the amount of times that he's been hurt or banged up.

FlyersGuy69 11-23-2003 10:16 AM

yeah, it's the old, "what have you done for me lately?" Philly attitude.

Nikkowar 11-23-2003 10:19 AM

Gagné is doing great right now,and he'll be good the rest of the season. Hey! Where are the trade-Simon people now? I just knew that he'd be good this season :) :)

Green Mile 11-23-2003 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
yeah, it's the old, "what have you done for me lately?" Philly attitude.

We surely aren't the only city. Man he really looks comfortable right now. Every line does...it's amazing. Watching the entire team right now is a treat. :handclap:

FearTheFlyers 11-23-2003 12:49 PM

Simon's true test will come when the team breaks out of this winning streak..will he still be scoring when the chips are down.

blah 11-23-2003 12:53 PM

I don't see this team falling into a prolonged slump this season.

MojoJojo 11-23-2003 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
I don't see this team falling into a prolonged slump this season.

:joker::lol:

Ok, to be fair he did say prolonged.

Seriously though, every team, especially the Flyers, slumps during the regular season. Last year, and the year before, and the year before that they had stretches when they were on fire and seemed unbeatable.

The real question isnt if they will slump, but whether they will get back to where they are now by the playoffs.

Toonces 11-23-2003 02:06 PM

Gagne and Primeau have always been a good combination. It doesn't suprise me that as soon as they were stuck back together, Gagne started playing very well again.

GoneFullHextall 11-23-2003 05:18 PM

as terrific as Gagne is, you cant tell me you would not deal him if you had the chance to improve the team. I dont want to see him traded but IF it makes the team better you suck it up and deal with it

Winston Wolf 11-23-2003 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
as terrific as Gagne is, you cant tell me you would not deal him if you had the chance to improve the team. I dont want to see him traded but IF it makes the team better you suck it up and deal with it

Of course you do it if it significantly IMPROVES the team, but the people who wanted to deal Gagne wanted to trade him for Comrie or other players who would DOWNGRADE the team. The people who wanted to trade him just wanted to get rid of him, not improve the team.

panayiotis 11-23-2003 05:42 PM

question

What is wrong with the team?

John Flyers Fan 11-23-2003 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom

You always make a deal that would improve the team, but there are very very few players that you could trade Gagne for that would help this team, without taking on quite a bit of extra salary.

GoneFullHextall 11-23-2003 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
You always make a deal that would improve the team, but there are very very few players that you could trade Gagne for that would help this team, without taking on quite a bit of extra salary.

i'll agree with that, i wouldnt trade Gagne for Comrie.
I just hope Gagne can stay healthy. IF he stays healthy i have no problem with him on this team.
The player i was referring to in my last post was Iginla, yeah he would increase the payroll i know he would, and because of that he isnt coming to Philly.
Just dont accuse me of hating on Gagne. I think he is a fantastic talent that move he made in the Boston game reminded me so much of 2 years ago when he was the talk of the league. He stays healthy he can score 20 plus goals.

fighterflea1* 11-24-2003 02:38 AM

[QUOTE=ClarkeMustGoDotCom]i'll agree with that, i wouldnt trade Gagne for Comrie.
I just hope Gagne can stay healthy. IF he stays healthy i have no problem with him on this team.
The player i was referring to in my last post was Iginla, yeah he would increase the payroll i know he would, and because of that he isnt coming to Philly.
Just dont accuse me of hating on Gagne. I think he is a fantastic talent that move he made in the Boston game reminded me so much of 2 years ago when he was the talk of the league. He stays healthy he can score 20 plus goals.

Gagne is on track for a 25 goal season and is playing well on a third line. His defensive game is coming out and his future in Philly looks pretty sound. I'm still now sure if he will be the perennial All Star some would have imagined before last year. His name is one most often raised in potential trades on other boards as he is recognized as a player of value. As long as these conditions pertain, you can't think of Gagne as untouchable and it's not merely a matter of people jumping on or off the Gagne bandwagon. When the Flyers are playing strong, you have to really ask yourself why you would want to mess with success. However, find some smaller finesse players like Kapanen and Recchi turning up injured later in the season and you will find talk on this board about trading for 'Flyer-size' forwards and when that discussion takes place, guess who's name will come up again?

Rex8 11-24-2003 03:44 AM

I agree he has great talent and the gift of speed.
He has been fragile - that is a fact.
If he can start to stay in the lineup this year and next then he will get that label off of him. He is a frustrating player because we know what he is capable of but is not able to stay out there to prove it.
I would trade him if the price was right, not COmrie, and I will not get into hypotheticals now.
With all that ssaid, he will not likely be dealt, ....but if he was..... always sell high and buy low when able (aka when he is healthy)

FearTheFlyers 11-24-2003 03:15 PM

Simon's goal made number 7 on TSN's play of the week:yo:

Bennevol10 11-25-2003 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex8
I agree he has great talent and the gift of speed.
He has been fragile - that is a fact.
If he can start to stay in the lineup this year and next then he will get that label off of him. He is a frustrating player because we know what he is capable of but is not able to stay out there to prove it.
I would trade him if the price was right, not COmrie, and I will not get into hypotheticals now.
With all that ssaid, he will not likely be dealt, ....but if he was..... always sell high and buy low when able (aka when he is healthy)

REX8, in your definition Leclair can be a fragile player too because he is been hurt for last few years. I hope not :dunno: ... When you have shoulder or back sugery it always takes time to heal and it takes most players go back to the level they used to play... Last year Gagne had groin injury and it is one of the worst injury a hockey player can have. It never goes away... Don't tell me that he is fragile and bla bla bla... He is not a power forward and he is not a supperman either... He is human just like us... Almost every player end up having bad year excluding Wayne Grezkey and Mario... And he is not going to be next Mario or Wayne Grezkey... I am sorry to say this but I think some of people on this board can be very ignorant... By saying things like "What have you done for me lately"... Tell me what have Flyers or any Philadelphia teams done for you lately!!! So what you going to do NOW... Get rid off the teams! Make them move to another city! Please!!! People like you give bad name to Philadelphia... Fans in Philadelphia are very passionate and have great knowledge about sports excluding some ignorant fans. Unfortunately those ignorant fans make the headline news and make us (Philadelphia fans) look like heartless-ignorant human being... Patient is the virtue. In sports world people say, “Some times the best trade you can make is no trade.”

stanley 11-25-2003 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fighterflea
However, find some smaller finesse players like Kapanen and Recchi turning up injured later in the season and you will find talk on this board about trading for 'Flyer-size' forwards and when that discussion takes place, guess who's name will come up again?

The statistics indicate that the premise of your claim is untrue. Recchi and Kapanen have never played in fewer than 69 and 71 games, respectively, in any full NHL season.

From 1999 to 2003, Recchi played in 71, 69, 82, 80, and 79 games, respectively. From 1991 to 1998, he played in 570 consecutive games, which is the 8th longest streak in NHL history.

Kapanen played in 76, 77, and 71 games in 1999, 2001, and 2003, respectively, and played in all of his team's games in every other season he's been in the league.

To be fair, you did not claim to see the team get larger, rather simply stated that you believe fans in this forum will ask for it. Do not count me as one who feels the need to "get bigger." I've watched this team stay big and slow for too many years, so to see speed up front in the form of players like Roenick, Amonte, Williams, Gagne, and Kapanen does not bother me in the least. They have size on every line, and an effective mix right now.

As far as names that would come up should the Flyers look to make a deadline deal, look no further than their current stock of healthy OHL prospects.

Nikkowar 11-25-2003 12:37 PM

BTW,5 more goals to 100! :yo:

flyer fan in NS 11-25-2003 04:11 PM

anybody notice that gagne is banging more bodies than he did last year I think that even in a checking role he could score 20-30 goals.

Rex8 11-25-2003 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennevol10
REX8, in your definition Leclair can be a fragile player too because he is been hurt for last few years. I hope not :dunno: ... When you have shoulder or back sugery it always takes time to heal and it takes most players go back to the level they used to play... Last year Gagne had groin injury and it is one of the worst injury a hockey player can have. It never goes away... Don't tell me that he is fragile and bla bla bla... He is not a power forward and he is not a supperman either... He is human just like us... Almost every player end up having bad year excluding Wayne Grezkey and Mario... And he is not going to be next Mario or Wayne Grezkey... I am sorry to say this but I think some of people on this board can be very ignorant... By saying things like "What have you done for me lately"... Tell me what have Flyers or any Philadelphia teams done for you lately!!! So what you going to do NOW... Get rid off the teams! Make them move to another city! Please!!! People like you give bad name to Philadelphia... Fans in Philadelphia are very passionate and have great knowledge about sports excluding some ignorant fans. Unfortunately those ignorant fans make the headline news and make us (Philadelphia fans) look like heartless-ignorant human being... Patient is the virtue. In sports world people say, “Some times the best trade you can make is no trade.”

I am not ignorant.
Thanks for your opinions.
I did not say deal now, panic, etc.
I like Gags and it would take ALOT to get him.
All I said, if not clearly enough, is that he has been fragile and needs a good year or two of being healthy to show what he is truely capable of - I hope he can stay healthy.