HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bring back regional picks ! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30643)

Orange 11-24-2003 08:10 AM

Bring back regional picks !

It's been on my mind for a while and I think regional picks should be included in the next CBA (or wherever it should be included). In my mind, this would be a savior for small market teams ... Imagine this: Every year, the first round of the draft would have every team pick a player based on where they operate. Obviously, no regions can overlap and everybody will pick the best touted prospect from it...

In my mind, the benefits are undeniable. What can help a team more than having a local hero? In a way, this system rewards teams that are able to promote hockey in the locality where they are established. If they are able to create enough interest, than good players will stem from that region and the team will reap it's benefits. The other way around is to go were there is a lot of money but few interest ... people with money can always buy their stars from the smaller markets ... But this system helps balance everything out ... Obviously some people will think that this gives an unfair advantage to Canadian teams, but with the influx of players from the NCAA in the past years, this could very well help some American teams. If Fleury is supposed to save the Pens, imagine how better it would be if he actually was a Pittsburgh native ... Besides, we're only talking about one round, not the whole draft ... Euro players would still be available to every team.

If the NHL was to create such a system, we would truely be unique compared to other pro team sports. This could be very highly beneficial for hockey and the future of our sport. Food for thoughts...

ShootOut 11-24-2003 08:40 AM

I'm not sure the Florida teams (or any team located south of the Mason-Dixon line) would be too competitive if such a thing happened.

Anksun 11-24-2003 09:29 AM

LOL

But I do think Montreal Canadians would be ALL OVER this idea :)

Orange 11-24-2003 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootOut
I'm not sure the Florida teams (or any team located south of the Mason-Dixon line) would be too competitive if such a thing happened.

They would still be, I don't see this it as such a major change. The player pool from Europe would still be the same and teams would have the rights to only a single pick per region. Also, I don't see those regions to be so grand that Montreal (for instance) would be able to systematicaly pick every talent that comes out of the Q. For exemple, keeping it on a Montreal point of view, players they could pick from could be those that were born, or played most of their junior in the greater montreal region. Same would go for other teams. I don't see Montreal having rights over the whole of Quebec and the Maritimes ...

FF de Mars 11-24-2003 10:03 AM

I think they should eliminate the draft. That way they would save a lot more money : the AHL would dissapear and junior leagues would become like European second divisions.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-24-2003 10:36 AM

Crosby!

Brisebois 11-24-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Crosby!

He's not really our region. I think he'd be considered no-mans-land. We'll just have to go with Elayoubi instead :)

By the way, did anyone realize that the Q seems to have stopped developing offensive defensemen?

EquabaleAce 11-24-2003 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
He's not really our region. I think he'd be considered no-mans-land. We'll just have to go with Elayoubi instead :)

By the way, did anyone realize that the Q seems to have stopped developing offensive defensemen?

aaron johnson

goalchenyuk 11-24-2003 04:41 PM

which team is going to select Ovechkin...? the ''red army' s hockey team :lol: ?

Orange 11-24-2003 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
which team is going to select Ovechkin...? the ''red army' s hockey team :lol: ?

hmmm ... did you read ?

habitants9_4 11-24-2003 05:46 PM

I wouldn't mind, teams that don't have many players in their region could pick a spot in Europe. The rest are Free Agents.

Lets see who would be on our team:

Gagne Lemieux Daze
Tanguay Lecavalier St-Louis
Robitaille Richards Dumont
Ribeiro Savard Daigle
Gauthier Briesbois
Bergeron Boucher
Tremblay Desjardins
Brodeur
Theodore
Garon
Cloutier
Lalime
Thibault
Potvin
Denis
Luongo
Sauve
Giguere
Ouelett
Leclair
Fleury
Biron

With that trade bait on G we could have any team!
This is off the top of my head, the defense is not too good, and were soft up front, but goalies are everything, and there always trades, so we'd have all the good goalies.

Slats432 11-25-2003 09:51 AM

So we could have 30 teams complaining and bickering about territory rights?

Sure it would be great for Fleury to be the savior for Pittsburgh if he was from there...but he is not.

A list of cities that wouldn't benefit from your scenerio....

Everyone but the Canadian cities and Minnesota. Most NCAA players even come from certain states so the "Local Hero" theory just doesn't work.

This is a bad idea.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-25-2003 09:58 AM

by the way, you're talking like the original rule was active for years, but it's not true. We only had one player our of it and it's Rejean Houle.

habsfan19 11-25-2003 09:58 AM

regional picks won't work in NHL
like some you said, too many teams would have ****** players compared to canadian teams or some american teams

then we would get into an argument about the european players
stick with the draft format we have now

jacklours 11-25-2003 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange
It's been on my mind for a while and I think regional picks should be included in the next CBA (or wherever it should be included). In my mind, this would be a savior for small market teams ... Imagine this: Every year, the first round of the draft would have every team pick a player based on where they operate. Obviously, no regions can overlap and everybody will pick the best touted prospect from it...

In my mind, the benefits are undeniable. What can help a team more than having a local hero? In a way, this system rewards teams that are able to promote hockey in the locality where they are established. If they are able to create enough interest, than good players will stem from that region and the team will reap it's benefits. The other way around is to go were there is a lot of money but few interest ... people with money can always buy their stars from the smaller markets ... But this system helps balance everything out ... Obviously some people will think that this gives an unfair advantage to Canadian teams, but with the influx of players from the NCAA in the past years, this could very well help some American teams. If Fleury is supposed to save the Pens, imagine how better it would be if he actually was a Pittsburgh native ... Besides, we're only talking about one round, not the whole draft ... Euro players would still be available to every team.

If the NHL was to create such a system, we would truely be unique compared to other pro team sports. This could be very highly beneficial for hockey and the future of our sport. Food for thoughts...

Sorry, I have to go with unaccepted, this idea makes no sense, the same bad teams would remain bad for all their existence. having ten bad players from their home town would not change anything to the fans their team would still suck. If you want a player from around your town, trade for him.

By the way, yeah that would be great for Pitts if Fleury was from Pittsburg but he happens not to be so Pittsburg would have no saviour.

Final thought ? Bad idea because good teams would remain the best for ever, and bad teams would have no chances

Brisebois 11-25-2003 10:09 AM

Another reason regional picks wouldn't happen these days is because the small market teams that would benefit (Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto) are all doing pretty decent right now.

If they'd be teetering at the bottom of the league, then maybe we can start negotiating. :rolly:

Nyclaus 11-25-2003 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitants9_4
I wouldn't mind, teams that don't have many players in their region could pick a spot in Europe. The rest are Free Agents.

Lets see who would be on our team:

Gagne Lemieux Daze
Tanguay Lecavalier St-Louis
Robitaille Richards Dumont
Ribeiro Savard Daigle
Gauthier Briesbois
Bergeron Boucher
Tremblay Desjardins
Brodeur
Theodore
Garon
Cloutier
Lalime
Thibault
Potvin
Denis
Luongo
Sauve
Giguere
Ouelett
Leclair
Fleury
Biron

With that trade bait on G we could have any team!
This is off the top of my head, the defense is not too good, and were soft up front, but goalies are everything, and there always trades, so we'd have all the good goalies.

Daigle?...wtf...now I'm really confused!
Daigle?
Alexandre Daigle?

I still don't get it!
Daigle eh?
*trying to rap my brain around the concept*
Daigle?

He couldn't even crack the pens roster....but if you think Daigle's tha man....pin a "C" on his shirt before they steal your idea!

Daigle! *sigh*

habsfan19 11-25-2003 11:56 AM

Daigle has never done much in his up and down career and probably never will

but consider that he is leading the Wild in goals with 8 in 21 games
thats not all that bad

that's more goals than any Hab

Nyclaus 11-25-2003 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfan19
Daigle has never done much in his up and down career and probably never will

but consider that he is leading the Wild in goals with 8 in 21 games
thats not all that bad

that's more goals than any Hab

8 goals in 21 games plus 10 years in the gutter...not what I call strong fondations!

edit: le passé est très souvent garrant du futur.